Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

deafdyke

Reaction score
AWESOME news! I have just convinced a mother whose son has unilateral loss to send him at least part time to the school for the deaf so he can learn ASL! One less hoh kid in the world who won't have to ask their parents why they never learned ASL!

Oh geeze, I thought you won a million dollars! after seeing your thread that says ' Yessssssssssssssssss '.....

That's great news....I am happy to hear that!

It's just too bad my mother never thought to do that for me...in her eyes, oralism was the best option for me, so she stuck with it...so now I have very few deaf friends.

Malfoyish

Malfoyish said:
It's just too bad my mother never thought to do that for me...in her eyes, oralism was the best option for me, so she stuck with it...so now I have very few deaf friends.

Malfoyish

Oh sorry to hear that, so you dont know any sign language, right? My parents insisted that i learn oral speech when i was real small but as i got older i told them i need to learn sign language so i can communicate with the deafies who dont speak at all so they said "fine". You can still learn ASL so that way, you can meet some deaf people and make new friends..ok? I hope you dont mind me telling you this cause i want to help you..

so i can communicate with the deafies who dont speak at all so they said "fine".
It also helps open doors to commuication with the dhh who talk too! Like one of my best friends once said (about a boy who is one of the only other hoh kids on campus) "Can you imagine a conversation between Kevin and Deafdyke? What? What? What? :mrgreen:
Deafee, I do know that research indicates that most oral as kids deaf pick up ASL as a second language (and even a significent albeilt small percentage of Auditory-Verbal kids pick up ASL as a second language) Right now I think the controversy is over which language should be a deaf kid's first language. There are even some parents who are OK with ASL (they're not the type of parents who go on and on about how they want a "healthy normal" kid, like the way quite a few hearing parents are)

deafdyke said:
It also helps open doors to commuication with the dhh who talk too! Like one of my best friends once said (about a boy who is one of the only other hoh kids on campus) "Can you imagine a conversation between Kevin and Deafdyke? What? What? What? :mrgreen:
Deafee, I do know that research indicates that most oral as kids deaf pick up ASL as a second language (and even a significent albeilt small percentage of Auditory-Verbal kids pick up ASL as a second language) Right now I think the controversy is over which language should be a deaf kid's first language. There are even some parents who are OK with ASL (they're not the type of parents who go on and on about how they want a "healthy normal" kid, like the way quite a few hearing parents are)

Yes i agree! but remember we live in a hearing world so i would think learning to speak first would be the first language, after that is mastered then learn ASL as the second language.

but remember we live in a hearing world so i would think learning to speak first would be the first language, after that is mastered then learn ASL as the second language.
Why not both at the same time? The trouble with the speech first methodology is the oral failure problem. (and that's STILL an issue even today believe it or not!) Doing both at the same time ensures that there's the safety net of ASL there if speech doesn't work out. I think that would work. I know of both hard of hearing and deaf kids who were raised with both Sign (either ASL or SEE) and who later dropped the Sign b/c they preferred to speak! (boy that would shock a lot of the oralists who think that ASL will prevent a dhh kid from learning to speak! :mrgreen: )

deafdyke said:
Why not both at the same time? The trouble with the speech first methodology is the oral failure problem. (and that's STILL an issue even today believe it or not!) Doing both at the same time ensures that there's the safety net of ASL there if speech doesn't work out. I think that would work. I know of both hard of hearing and deaf kids who were raised with both Sign (either ASL or SEE) and who later dropped the Sign b/c they preferred to speak! (boy that would shock a lot of the oralists who think that ASL will prevent a dhh kid from learning to speak! :mrgreen: )
Yeah, that makes sense! it would be benefical to learn both oral and sign language at the same time! I wish i did! i didnt learn ASL till later in my life so after i learned, i gained more friends (deaf) that way! back when i didnt know sign language, they kind of shunned me, cuz they were not oralists..we could not communicate at all. I dont know why these people (oralists) would think that just because they learned ASL, it would prevent them from learning to speak, duh! lol! its like learning several foreign languages ya know what i mean?

I dont know why these people (oralists) would think that just because they learned ASL, it would prevent them from learning to speak, duh! lol! its like learning several foreign languages ya know what i mean?
According to oralist thinking ASL is a "crutch" and not a "real" language :roll:
It's really dumb...so according to their thinking someone who has poor spoken language but only speaks, is "higher functioning" then someone who doesn't speak too well at all but can express and understand ASL at a Harvard level!
Also wanted to post that I have encouraged yet another mother of a kid with unilateral loss to learn ASL and expose him to deaf culture! She was VERY receptive to him learning ASL! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe ASL and Deaf culture will actually expand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's awesome to hear. Good to hear there are some parents who are open-minded to try different ways to adjudge which is best for their child instead of sticking to one way.

Wow....things are slowly but surely changing for the better! A father of a young oral school grad posted recently somewhere else asking about resources for learning ASL. He wants his child to learn ASL, even though his child is an oral sucess! :) I still see a lot of parents who don't want their kids to learn ASL b/c it ranks as "speshal needs" but I've also noticed that a small percentage of parents who choose oral for their kid's first language are OK with signing!

Another victory for our side! I just got PMd by a mother of a young(7 months) deaf (90 dcB) l boy who wants him to both speak and Sign! :) I LOVE the 'Net...it makes activism so easy!

WOW! YAY! I'm so happy for you!!!!!! I started my sign class last night and i love it! My mother is a lot more supportive of it than my dad is...i wish i grew up knowing sign:( I only knew a bit.

But that's awesome for you!!! CONGRATS!!!!! *hugs*

Defee said:
Oh sorry to hear that, so you dont know any sign language, right? My parents insisted that i learn oral speech when i was real small but as i got older i told them i need to learn sign language so i can communicate with the deafies who dont speak at all so they said "fine". You can still learn ASL so that way, you can meet some deaf people and make new friends..ok? I hope you dont mind me telling you this cause i want to help you..

No, I don't mind. :)

I do know some sign, however it's not enough for me to say I'm fluent enough to uphold a conversation that makes much sense. ;) I can understand most of it, still get stumped on a little but there are some things and terms that still go way over my head. LOL. But yeah, I'm trying to learn some more sign as I go along. Nothing wrong with it, it's a beautiful language.

...i wish i grew up knowing sign I only knew a bit.
Well that is why I am such a hardcore activist for dhh kids learning sign early on. Maybe b/c of my activism and speaking out, there will be less kids who have to ask their parents why they never learned Sign or exposed them to Deaf culture. It feels so good when I've made a difference.....but on the other hand, it does frustrate me that there are stubborn parents who absolutly admadantly refuse to listen to what we activists have to say. In ten or fifteen years when their kids discover Sign, I can guarentee that they will say " I should have signed...I should have exposed my wittle Smashlie to Sign AND speech." Of course, there will always be those parents who just totally want their kids to be "normal"....all I can say is that view REALLY psycologically messes up a kid, and they should lose their rights as parents!!

I must say that I think the majority of parents are OK with their kids learning Sign. I mean I know someone on another board said that they'd heard that 85% of parents chose oral....but on the other hand, what about follow-ups? I know so many parents who later decided to Sign with their deaf/hoh kid. I know stats from the CI manufactorers say that their users are evenly divided between orals and TCers. It's also not a matter of counting how many kids are in TC programs and how many kids are in oral programs. I know many parents who follow the TC philosophy, but who send their kids to oral programs b/c they are concerned that TC programs aren't good enough in terms of oral/aural rehab.
One good thing about high health care costs is that it really inhibits oral sucess. It's a fact that most oral sucesses are products of the private school/program effect. The exceptions usually have extremely good health care at their disposal or have VERY hyperinvolved parents who make therapy a lifestyle (VOMIT!)

Back