Votes: 15 26.8%
  • Nay

Votes: 17 30.4%
  • Neither/neutral

Votes: 24 42.9%

• Total voters

Dr. Strangelove

Reaction score
Nay. I just don't feel Fernandes is the person to lead and represent Gallaudet. I am curious about the opinions of AllDeaf members regarding this current hot button issue.

Well... I believe they (students and staff) are being ridiculously to protest against Dr. Fernandes. You all should give her a chance to see how she runs the college. You all won't have to deal with her, since she would be very busy meeting with important people and get more funding for the school.

I am glad I have decided against attending Gallaudet University in 1991, because I would be embarrassed to be an alumnus.

This poll is only about JF, so I put Nay. That response does not mean that I support the protests. I am still not sure on that question.

coloravalanche said:
Yes I think DR Fernandes DESERVES a chance! I vote yes!

Come on...Gally students are soo immature and stupid!

stupid stupid stupid GALLY stupid stupid stupid GALLY stupid stupid stupid GALLY stupid stupid stupid GALLY stupid stupid stupid GALLY stupid stupid....

YOU GALLY EMBARRASS OUR DEAF WORLD...ENUFF!!!! :pissed:

How do you know? It is not only Gally students. Faculty, Staff and Alumni joins the force against JK as an AUDIST.

I voted neither/neutral because for One, I don't attend Gallaudet University,. Two, I don't care for who becomes the President/represent Gallaudet. Three, It has nothing to do with me. :whistle:

Brian said:
Well... I believe they (students and staff) are being ridiculously to protest against Dr. Fernandes. You all should give her a chance to see how she runs the college. You all won't have to deal with her, since she would be very busy meeting with important people and get more funding for the school.

I am glad I have decided against attending Gallaudet University in 1991, because I would be embarrassed to be an alumnus.

WELL SAID!! I agree with you 100%.. Why not give her a try!!

Mookie said:
How do you know? It is not only Gally students. Faculty, Staff and Alumni joins the force against JK as an AUDIST.

coloravalanche,

I bet you are not very highly intelligent since you have not researched fully...

:pissed: AT Mookie <-- :rl: :madfawk: :madfawk: :madfawk:

EXCUSE ME...I do have intelligent...It doesnt matter if JK has audist...WHO CARES! :ugh:

BESIDES, Do you have any idea what Gally means? It means Gally College...It is included Faculty, Staff and Alumni....Now, Who is the highly intellgent? :whistle:

I bet you live in Washington DC? GET THE {edited} MY FACE AND LEAVE ME ALONE! DO NOT POST AT ANYWHERE WHERE I POST!

{edited}

{Mod Edit: Obviously it's you that inserted a fake mod edit--pls. refrain from doing this. }

Last edited by a moderator:
Brian said:
Well... I believe they (students and staff) are being ridiculously to protest against Dr. Fernandes. You all should give her a chance to see how she runs the college. You all won't have to deal with her, since she would be very busy meeting with important people and get more funding for the school..

I agree with Brian too. I too think it is ridiculous.

coloravalanche said:

EXCUSE ME...I do have intelligent...It doesnt matter if JK has audist...WHO CARES! :ugh:

BESIDES, Do you have any idea what Gally means? It means Gally College...It is included Faculty, Staff and Alumni....Now, Who is the highly intellgent? :whistle:

I bet you live in Washington DC? GET THE [MOD EDIT] MY FACE AND LEAVE ME ALONE! DO NOT POST AT ANYWHERE WHERE I POST!

[MOD edit]Please do not cuss in AllDeaf, thank you.[/mod]

Yawns.....

Without Gallaudet University, there would not no Deaf President Now in 1988. That means no ADA, No VRS, and no Alldeaf website.

Good luck on your journey, coloravandence...

Even if the majority may not agree with having Fernandes leading this Deaf college--even the outbursts may have gotten carried away and getting out of proportion as well, yet, giving this person the chance to fulfill the duties required and see how it goes before lashing out against having this person...since later on, if this person doesn't satisfy and do what's best for the college, then perhap 'voice' such opinions (later)...imagine how difficult it must be when this person who was chosen to fulfill the presidency duties and having such an awareness of what is going on all around, it would be a bit difficult and put on unneccessary stress which then in turn dampen the overall quality of fulfilling duties for the sake of the college itself. Wouldn't it be 'time' for students and who else to 'quiet' down and watch how it goes for the time being...allowing Fernandes the opportunity and chance to carry out the duties? ;)

(btw, I'm not saying I'm taking sides here, but there IS a much peaceful way about going through this, as it is now, groups are pitting against one another, such groups that really perhaps never pitted against one another before, it's also bringing about a certain discord throughout the whole situation when it is really unneccessary....)

Well said Roadrunner, I pretty much agree with everything he posted above, so there's no need for me to state my opinion...

coloravalanche said:

I bet you live in Washington DC? GET THE {edited} MY FACE AND LEAVE ME ALONE! DO NOT POST AT ANYWHERE WHERE I POST!

{edited}

{Mod Edit: Obviously it's you that inserted a fake mod edit--pls. refrain from doing this. }

I did not inserted a fake mod edit! It was not me! All I said was Mod - whats the differences between these two cuss words...

Yea or no. The deaf community had plenty of time to prevent this. On Feb 1998, I warned the deaf about Jordan's focus drifting away from the interests of the deaf community. They listen? No cause I wasnt deaf enough for them to believe in me.

Now look who has been right all along.

Richard

Nesmuth: I think that I understand
your point of view.

IF this was NOT for President King Jordan's
arrogance attitude (conscending contempt looking
down at deaf) for long time, THEN this protest
would have NEVER occurred in the first place.

"A Time To Sow and a Time To Reap"

I rather stay neutral because I have to blame both sides.

I also blame some of these BOT members with the same
kind of conscending attitude should be removed
from the Board as well. I'm sure you know Who.

Why I’m Protesting
By Anthony Mowl

My younger brother celebrated his first birthday at a campus protest. It was 1988, and my Mom, a Gallaudet University graduate, had been following the growing student movement to demand a deaf president at her alma mater. She couldn’t stand being 400 miles away, in Rochester, N.Y. So never mind that my youngest brother was still nursing. She took him with her, and joined the Deaf President Now movement.

I’m not sure when I first learned of the movement. But I can’t remember not knowing I. King Jordan — the president whose appointment was the result of that movement — as a symbol of what was possible for me. My mother told me stories, and I grew up with Gallaudet. There was no other university for me. I’m the fourth generation in my family to be born deaf, and the third to attend Gallaudet.

I’m a senior so I should have been spending this week celebrating (when not studying for my last round of finals). Instead I’ve been protesting, with hundreds of my fellow students, over the appointment of Jordan’s successor. It’s difficult to explain to the outside world just what we’re doing, and granted it’s difficult to understand. After all, the trustees picked a deaf woman, who has spent much of her career at Gallaudet. What’s all the fuss about?

o best understand what’s happening now, you need to know that the Gallaudet I grew up with is not the Gallaudet I am graduating from. Whereas going to Gallaudet and demanding a deaf president were once part of simply affirming our pride in ourselves and our right to basic human needs, students want more today. In fact, some deaf students don’t even want to attend Gallaudet or the deaf high schools most of us attended because a range of opportunities are now available elsewhere. Many of those opportunities exist because of civil rights laws for people with disabilities — laws the Deaf President Now movement had a hand in getting enacted.

But that doesn’t mean Gallaudet’s historic role isn’t part of why people care so much.
The university matters to the millions of deaf people around the world who have never visited it, who can only dream of enrolling in what is widely considered the “Deaf Mecca.” That’s no surprise when you consider that more than 80 percent of all deaf people in the world who have college degrees earned them at Gallaudet. Because of the hereditary link to some forms of deafness, many deaf people are like me, from deaf families, allowing us to share a passion that comes when so many of those you are closest to grew up with the same experience.

Jordan isn’t just a college president, but is a spokesman for deaf men and women around the world. The board that needed to be pressured into promoting him never assigned him that role, but it came about naturally because of the Deaf President Now movement. When he announced his retirement after 18 years, word shot around the globe in minutes. Everybody wanted a say in who is going to replace King, the man who lived up to his name.

There’s no doubt that with the departure of Jordan, Gallaudet will assume a new direction. In the 18 years since Deaf President Now, we’ve shown the world that deaf people are in fact capable of doing anything except hearing. That’s the Catch-22. DPN made it possible for deaf students to go to any college in the United States and be successful. Gallaudet has stayed symbolic, inspiring those who go to Princeton, but not always attracting those same students. We have always been the best deaf university in the world, because competition is so thin. But we’re not satisfied with that. We want the best and brightest students, the ones who now have educational opportunities that were never available before. And that’s why we need a president with all the right qualities, not just someone who shares our deafness.

When the board selected Jordan in 1988, students were thrilled that a deaf educator got the job. But the reality is that they didn’t know what kind of president he’d become. My mother took his psychology class in 1973, and could never fathom him becoming president some day. Fortunately, Jordan did just the kinds of things that presidents are expected to do (and that people previously assumed deaf people couldn’t do): He raised money, he oversaw huge endowment growth, he presided over the planning of new facilities, he dealt with campus controversies — making both popular and unpopular decisions. In the end though, he was as good as advertised. Jordan’s tenure as president will always be marked by the history made with his appointment, but it also is marked by normalcy – by Jordan doing what presidents do.

And that’s what people are missing about the protests this week. They aren’t about us reliving Deaf President Now, trying to get our 15 minutes. The protests are about concerns we have that are just like those of other students at other campuses. On many campuses these days, students feel disconnected from trustees and from decision-making, and that — in the end — is what’s going on here. Jane Fernandes, whom the board selected as president, has served as provost for the last six years. There are no doubt better candidates for the position in our eyes. But what truly is upsetting is that students weren’t listened to at all. We were stunned by the decision — and started the protests — because an extensive system had been set up to seek our views, and we provided them. Then we were ignored. Sadly, the trustees’ willingness to only pay lip service to student opinions is not at all unique to our university.

Part of what is unique to Gallaudet is the role of its president well beyond its campus. When Lawrence Summers said some foolish things about women, he didn’t bring down the reputation of all colleges and universities. People said Harvard had a bad president, they didn’t stop paying attention to academe. One of the reasons we are concerned about Fernandes (who is not a bad person) is that she’s an administrator, not a leader. We don’t have the luxury of just going with someone who knows how to balance a budget — we need more. We need someone who — like Jordan — knows everyone on campus and their families, and who can be eloquent with the media, politicians, and philanthropists. Someone who can navigate the tough issues we face – of how to attract students and define our institution’s mission in an ever changing world. In an era when people talk about “cures” for deafness, when deaf students can demand sign interpreters to go to any institution, when technology has created huge new opportunities for the deaf, Gallaudet is at a turning point.

And here too, what we want now is different from what Deaf President Now was pushing for. After 1988, we told ourselves that Gallaudet would never again see a hearing president, and only now are we able to affirm that sentiment. But with the advances of the last 18 years, deafness alone isn’t enough. We want the same kind of “good fit” that all colleges need in a president. And to say that we should be happy to have a deaf president is insulting. If Harvard makes a bad choice for president and students protest, you won’t see people saying, “Well they should just be happy that the president can hear.” Actually I’d like to see our provost considered for a presidency elsewhere, where her particular skill set would be a better fit. And I’d be proud of her for achieving such a high post in a hearing world.

Those still trying to make sense of our protests should understand that what is happening is part of a broader social movement. Gallaudet is a microcosm of colleges everywhere, where students are growing increasingly tired of being ignored. (Just witness students forcing change at the University of Miami over how their janitors are treated or at many institutions over investment in Sudan.) Keep in mind that this isn’t just Gallaudet. But the source of our passion?

It is Gallaudet.

i dont want Jane fernades as president, since she became one, all i have to is accpect it and focus on my education

Fernie Needs To Go!!!

Mookie said:

I agree... shame on other deafies who think they are better than Gallaudet... shame on them. Get real and help them get what they would like to have... stop living in ivory castles... get real! Thank you!

:cheers:

Please, I implore you to read the open letter to Jane Fernandes from the FSSA. Despite many people's claims (including Mookie's, who seems not to have read this), this protest is not based on whether Jane Fernandes is "deaf enough." I am friends with some of the people at the forefront of this protest, and they come from diverse backgrounds. JK's background of oralism is not the issue at hand here.

I dont know much about this since I don't attend Gallaudet University. So I would have to say neither/netural.

Back