XP vs OS X

illustrator said:
I have experience with keyboard without necessary mouse on Mac. It's same concept as Windows do.

I have seen many people don't use button to loading in the CD. It runing already.
Can you open web browser program without mouse? I am not insulting you as I am not quite sure myself. I am about to check my mac here but it is in middle of installation. Also can you click any urls on webpage without mouse? PC, we can and we even can use keyboard to click anything on menu without remember the commands. Just click alt and follow the letter that it is underline. Easy for newbies to follow.

wizard said:
You may be right but for my building.. It is not true. I am working for state (Dept of Transportation) Tone of delineator down here and they all are using PC. They are using Microstation (autocad) software. I am webmaster and they told me that PC is only computer that they can support. Even though, they still have some Mac around here but not much.

in certain OS that thing isn't always good. It's their opinion whether they feel comfortable to use computer while there is available for them.

wizard said:
Can you open web browser program without mouse? I am not insulting you as I am not quite sure myself. I am about to check my mac here but it is in middle of installation. Also can you click any urls on webpage without mouse? PC, we can and we even can use keyboard to click anything on menu without remember the commands. Just click alt and follow the letter that it is underline. Easy for newbies to follow.

yes, I can open web browser with short-cut key, that's prety simple. Either I press F8 or F9 and it will open what application I choice. So, it will be useful in future when anything happen to mouse.

Don't be afraid to think you are insult when you think it's good to saying something without ugly. :)

No, it is not what I meant. I know you can open web browser program with hot keys but can you use keyboard to click the links on the webpage? On PC, I can do it by using tab to move down to certain link where I want to open.

wizard said:
No, it is not what I meant. I know you can open web browser program with hot keys but can you use keyboard to click the links on the webpage? On PC, I can do it by using tab to move down to certain link where I want to open.

yes, it's same as PC, use tabs and arrow keys on Mac to open link.

Yeah, same as PC. Use apple-c as well to open items on IE or whatever browser you're using.

MDCodeRedFreak said:
Mac sucks!!! I'd get XP and Longhorn!!

Lornhorn 'officially' will be out in 2006. Most likely it will be 2007 or later.
In the meanwhile, Apple will be releasing Panther 10.3 tomorrow. Given Apples yearly release schedule, they will likely have another 3 or 4 new OS releases before Longhorn appears. Oddly, apples Mac OS X releases have been improving in speed in every release.

As for those who say apple has keyboard issues... the mouse is used by default because its easier. Keep in mind that its HARD to remember dozens of different keystrokes unless you use them all the time. But almost everything has keyboard options. Most people don't know about them because they don't NEED to use them.
For those who have to use the keyboard, Apple provides 'keyboard access', which will enable you to use keystrokes to control the OS completely without the mouse, and 'keyboard shortcuts' preference that will assign almost any action to the keyboard, configurable to whatever keystrokes you prefer.

edit: whoops, forgot to use the built-in spell check on my mac.

Longhorn is expected in late 2005 (as mentioned here). I would personally expect it before Xmas 2005 or the first quarter of 2006.

And as a person in the IT industry, i prefer Windows. Mac and it's OSX is fine if that's what you want (It's like beta and the dodo bird). I have no family or friends that use Macs.

Longhorn was initially supposed to be released in 2004. More recently they have been claiming 2005, which is where your quote comes from. They have since been backtracking on this estimate.
Gates has said there is NO release date (delayed in other words)
MS engineers have also said that Longhorn is three years from release.
Given these two facts, 2006 or later is quite likely.

You need to keep in mind two things when talking about Longhorn's release.
First is that Microsoft has a long history of announcing early, and releasing late. (The term vaporware was invented for them.) Many Windows releases have had multiple release delays. Second is that a program that is minimally two years from release is a piece of software that is still a moving target because of the amount of unknowns that will appear in those years.

As for your later statement..
And as a person in the IT industry, i prefer Windows. Mac and it's OSX is fine if that's what you want (It's like beta and the dodo bird). I have no family or friends that use Macs.

If you could rephrase this, I would appreciate it.
The part about 'beta and the dodo bird' is loaded, and appears insulting. (read: flamebait)
If you could clarify the statement so that its less loaded, I'll be happy to provide the devil's advocate and discuss. :D

Once Longhorn is released, it's likely that 10.5 or OS 11 will be released by then.

Lots of companies release news of upcoming software, and then push back the release date. This is done for numerous reasons, including marketing (ie: gain market share, hurt the competition), build awareness/anticipation, addition of other features, and just plain delays.

As much as i like id Software, they also follow those same tactics. I'm sure Doom3 will be worth the wait. And likewise, i'm sure Longhorn will be well worth it. Of course, it'll take quite a bit to top WinXP as a desktop OS, but everything that has been promised in Longhorn is nothing short of amazing.

But alas we digress. The main point of this thread was to compare the two OS's. But you can't do that, since they serve different markets/clients, and run on opposite machines. I say buy whatever you like.

Mac OSX 10.3's User Switching is awesome! Way cool than Windows' switch login.

When sign in different users. The screen look like this!
indexusersw10082003.jpg

for movie demo - QuickTime required! :lol:
http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/fastuserswitching/

Vaporware(from Wikipedia )
Vaporware is software that is preannounced by a developer, but never emerges as an actual product. The term implies deception; that is, it implies that the announcer knows that product development is in too early a stage to support responsible statements about its completion date, feature set, or even feasibility
Longhorn seems to fit this to a T.
Doom3 was never given a release date as far as I know.

Mac os X fast user switching is cool. Uses something called 'Quartz Extreme', a 3D graphics engine that actually offloads the graphics work to the video card.
Longhorn is supposed to have a similar 'Aero', but thats still vapor.
Check out another feature using Quartz, Expose
'live' resizing, without losing window placement. Might seem like eye candy at first glance, but it enables you to take window management to the next level. visually swap between specific windows, easily drag and drop, etc etc.

What e v e r gets the job done!

IMHO it does not matter what you have Mac or PC. It depends on the job you have or what you like to do on your desktop or laptop.

The beauty about OS X is the Unix is at the core of the OS. Linux is next with AOL and IBM investing millions into the development into the desktop.

I have a PC running windows xp professional. Not bad for what I need it for... However, to own a PC with Windows is to be owned by either microsoft or all those viruses out there... :Owned:

It all comes down to one thing.. Whatever gets the job done IMO.

FOR ME! I am a Mac Head all the way!! I have the Dual 1.8 G5 running OS X Panther. Rocks all the way!!!! :dj:

I'd buy a Mac in heartbeat! I just played with my friend's powerbook with OS X and nearly shit my pants. It's WAY much better than WinXP!!! I haven't had a chance to check out WinLonghorn yet.

Orange and apple

Try to compare Mac to PC is like try to compare orange to apple hence it is ridiculous thing to do to my own eyes (no offense to anyone).

Like MrGTI, work in IT industry, I prefer PC over Mac but I like Mac as well. Actually.. PC have its own pro and con and Mac have its own pro and con.

I pick PC over Mac for few reasons: Programming, 3D modeling, hundreds (perhaps thousands) number of peripherals, millions of freewares/commerical programs, thousands of games (perfect for game lovers) and cheap prices for high-end hardwares. Speaking of hardwares, if I want to buy a Mac with same hardwares that my PC have, it would cost me approx $3,000.. I got this high-end computer (custom it myself) and it costs me only $1,500. I save 50% and can use 50% that I saved to spend on digital camera, high-end video capture box for video editing, 19 in CRT monitor, scanner and few more items. That's pro about PC, you will get more equipments than you expect with same cash that you spend on Mac.

Now about Mac.. what I understand from my mac freak friend is that Mac builded up by Apple "approved" staffs hence it will be much less crash. Also less complicate for anyone who is new to computer to use. Friendly interface, incredibly powerful processor, good variety of peripherals, quite excellent "Plug and Play" support, perfect ideal computer for graphic works and can easily detect and set up any new hardwares.

Note: I will not state any cons about both computers to keep away from possible flame wars on this topic.

Basically it is largely depend on people, their experience and their common sense, not computers itself.. My friend cannot do any crap with PC due to his lack of experience/understanding the conception on how to do with computers hence he is more happy with Mac than he do with PC because its incredibe simplicity. I myself rarely have any problem with PC, if I do and I will solve it in few tries or less then move on. At work, I deal with Mac, UNIX and PC daily, I become used to all variety of computers but I do consider PC as my third arm for anything like 3D modeling or programming.

Sorry for sloppy english, it is like almost 3 am here and I have a bad cold as well. Ugh.

I prefer PC over MAC. Yes, MACs are nice for graphic programs. However, when it comes to games... they rarely have them. When they do, they are usually "MAC Version" of actual PC Versions. The only game I can think of that was on MAC first was MYST and it wasn't even captioned! That game was later released on PC. But, I know a lot of games that were made for PC before being released on MAC... almost years later. PCs are easy to play around with and it's quick for those who use it. MACs are too simple and would probably be best for a person who's a complete idiot when it comes to computers.

Last edited:
VamPyroX said:
I prefer PC over MAC. Yes, MACs are nice for graphic programs. However, when it comes to games... they rarely have them. When they do, they are usually "MAC Version" of actual PC Versions. The only game I can think of that was on MAC first was MYST and it wasn't even captioned! That game was later released on PC. But, I know a lot of games that were made for PC before being released on MAC... almost years later. PCs are easy to play around with and it's quick for those who use it. MACs are too simple and would probably be best for a person who's a complete idiot when it comes to computers.

I won't argue that the mac gaming industry pretty much sucks. But consoles are killing the PC gaming industry, too. FYI, there are plenty of mac games, its just that they don't have enormous sums of money like EA to market their games. Most of the better 'mac only' games are shareware, with quality equal or better than commercial games.
Freeverse, Ambrosia and Pangeasoft are a couple of excellent companies with creative games. (if you don't think burning monkey solitaire from freeverse is bizarrely humorous, you're a monkey)

FYI.. simple is GOOD. think about it.. how hard is it to make something simple to understand, yet remain complex? Dismissing something as 'simple' without examining it is an arrogant behavior. If you didn't know, Mac OS X is based on BSD, which means it is an 'UNIX' operating system, running virtually everything Linux can. Bash shell, X11 windowing system with Gnome or KDE, Gimp, CUPS printing system, Apache webserver (installed by default!) etc, etc.
Linux is unfortunately considered a 'geek' system these days because of its powerful capabilties, yet glaring usability holes. Macs have many of the SAME powers, but set up in a way that is much simpler to use.

oh.. note that Gates himself has announced that they don't have a release date for longhorn but "people are speculating that we're out in '06 sometime and that's probably valid speculation". Linky
Is that the fourth or fifth time frame given for longhorn?

Back