Written CODE switching...your thoughts

joshy2328

Reaction score
Do you think It is okay to write letters,sms,emails etc in the same language as the reciever or keep the level of english normally?

For example, I am writing a formal email to a friend. The friends level of english is lower than mine because the strong influence of sign language. Should I write to the level she understands or do I keep the level of english?

Is this a sensitive subject i.e mocking or better yet Patronizing the reader?..... your thoughts

Probubly best to stick with your language. Unless you mean the other person talks a different language IE, you're speaking english and they're speaking spanish. I'm sure the person understands written engish as you normally write it. just uses the language that is influenced by sign because that is what they understand. I know plenty of people who's writing is influenced by sign but they understand normal english. So...

I would say stick to your langauge, as it will provide an opportunity for your friend to improve their English skills. If there is a misunderstanding you can always go back and clarify in different terms.

English is my first language, but I have deaf friends who are ASL-dominant bilinguals, and they're not AS proficient with English as I am. I do notice I kind of code switch with them, but not much. I try to avoid the passive voice and keep my sentences pretty short. It just makes written communication easier.

I do notice I kind of code switch with them, but not much. I try to avoid the passive voice and keep my sentences pretty short. It just makes written communication easier.

Same here, I find myself CODE switching unconciously, I should try using my own langauge level when writing things down.

For the people that do it conciously, are they right to do so?

I have done both ways. I kind of feel bad for switching between both.

Hmmm...intentional code switching? I guess that would depend on the attitude of the person doing the code switching. Are they doing it because of a belief that the other person is not intellectually capable of understanding English? Then that would be wrong, because it would involve making a negative assumption based on nothing more than their hearing status.

But unintentional? I don't think that's wrong. I think that is just automatically switching tothe communication that has always been effective in the past with that person. I will admit to sometimes writing in a modified ASL syntax with my son. Not because I think he can't understand English, but because I am so accustomed to communicating with him in ASL, so it makes things more efficient. Just like he will usually code switch to PSE when signing with hearing signers (unless they are CODAs) not because he is being patronizing toward them, but because he doesn't have to repeat himself as often. Nothing malicious or disrespectful in that. At least, not from my POV.

jilllio, you are so learn-ED, how is this? your comments are really helpful, even though i am a CODA, there are so many things I could learn off you to help me get through my interpreting course.

jilllio, you are so learn-ED, how is this? your comments are really helpful, even though i am a CODA, there are so many things I could learn off you to help me get through my interpreting course.

Why thank you joshy! I made it my business to learn when I discovered my son was deaf, and now I am completing my grad degree in order to advocate for and counsel the deaf. Deaf education and equal access is my passion, as is providing a bi-bi atmosphere for all deaf kids. I work at the college level providing accommodations for deaf students. But the most valuable information I have learned has come directly from deaf adults regarding their childhood experiences.

I'll be more than happy to answer any questions you have for me, but there are others on this board that have more expertise than I in several areas. I do not pretend to be a terp....even though I sign fluently and have for 20 years, I don't have the specialized skills of a terp!

I would just continue to write however you feel comfortable with. If there is a misunderstanding then go back and clarify. I wouldnt necessarily copy their style of writing which may actually backfire. They may think you are mocking them and they will feel like their English is insufficient. But if you write the way you do and keep it at there's a small chance your friend may start picking up on that little by little on their own without having to feel like they are insecure. But if you're still in doubt - you could just ask your friend how they prefer to communicate with you. :)

Back