Writing in English?

:hmm: I've been called worse, MandiAss isn't that bad ;)

I have no idea how to change my s/n, so I changed my signature for you instead. Lol!!

MandiAss is happy that her silly post didn't get her kicked off alldeaf :)

Hi Mandi: Having read the entire thread- but not raised-when has the person become "Deaf"? There is a huge difference being born "Deaf" vs becoming "Deaf" say 50 years old-relative to speaking/writing skills. "Auditory memory"?
Whether the "Deaf" person "can/has the use of a Cochlear Implant"

Enjoy the interesting world of "Alldeaf.com"
Cheers Mandi sksk

I'm very sorry to have offended or insulted you, that was never my intent. Please accept my apology and know I honestly didn't want to upset anyone. You make a good point about some writing in ASL structure out of habit or to save time, yet being able to comprehend written English easily enough. I had never considered this, so I'm happy you mentioned it as it is a new perspective for me and something I probably wouldn't have realized without your help.

One of my ASL teachers, who is Deaf herself and also a Teacher for the Deaf, once told us that "placing a blank sheet of paper in front of a Deaf child and asking them to write is terrifying for them since so many Deaf students struggle with English". While that is probably not true everywhere, it seems to be the case where I live. Much of this could be due to the fact that there isn't a School for the Deaf in NV and also a shortage of interpreters, so students are at a disadvantage and not able to access education with the ease in which they deserve. Many of my Deaf friends are from NV and find written English to be more challenging than others I have gotten to know through alldeaf. But I do understand that everyone is different and I shouldn't make assumptions based on my limited encounters with the handful of Deaf that I personally know. I'm aware that there are countless numbers of successful and well educated Deaf adults, my teacher for example has a Master's Degree and is one of the most brilliant and fascinating women I've ever met, and I'm very sorry if I gave the impression that I thought otherwise.

If there is anyway for me to delete this thread please let me know. I feel horrible that I've offended you, or anyone else who might read my original post..:(

Sent from my iPhone using AllDeaf

Don't go crapping bricks or anything like that... it's not the worst thing I've ever seen in the world. I was simply explaining things out for you... I didn't go cry myself a river over what you posted, and I promise you no other Deaf member here did, either. I didn't go home scheming or plotting your demise or how to explode your profile or anything of the sort. Actually after I wrote this, it never even crossed my mind until I signed on and saw this posting again.

My break down was simply to let you see from our prospective the "Deaf and Dumb" stereotype that breaking down English sentence structure adheres to. More so to put you in my / our shoes and make you see how you would feel in that situation... I have dealt with the "Deaf and dumb" treatment my entire life even though people don't say it, they don't have to in order to treat you like it. ( Though kids in middle and high school sure aren't afraid to say it. :squint: ) Anyway, I see it has done its job. You're definitely not the first person to ask and you most certainly won't be the last... don't feel bad. Again, my post was more of a way to make you see and put you in our place to make you see how you would feel being asked something similar. It gets frustrating being treated like you're stupid or need things broken down for you simply because you can not hear. Amplify that by almost every hearing person you encounter and you wonder why so many in the Deaf community stay so tight knit with each other and react so poorly to hearies coming to Deaf events... Some hearies don't even do it intentionally or realize they're doing it... they just do it... :squint: It's almost like a "Oh poor little Deafie *pat pat pat* kind of treatment... Hard to explain unless you were to see it... either way, it makes you want to catch them on fire with laser beams you wish you had in your eyes... :squint:

Regardless, I am glad that you have learned something. I hope that you didn't run away or have a sinking heart feeling or cry... nothing like that. You can't be too sensitive around us Deaf people... we are kind of brutal you know... :evil: :P

Seriously though, I hope you will continue to browse through the forums and such. You seem like a nice enough girl... you just have to learn to empathize. That is what that situation I wrote was all about, empathy. Always put yourself in someone else's situation and imagine it from their prospective... I'm pretty blunt and direct, so I'm sure the wording wasn't exactly fluffy and bunny hugging friendly... but as I said, continue to browse and learn... that is what will help you further yourself in the community. No harm done. :)

~Mew

:hmm: I've been called worse, MandiAss isn't that bad ;)

I have no idea how to change my s/n, so I changed my signature for you instead. Lol!!

MandiAss is happy that her silly post didn't get her kicked off alldeaf :)

Change your signature back and don't change it for anybody..

Back