Wow, several Deaf people wrote about Bob Hope

Kalista

Premium Member
Reaction score
I think, I should share the comment about Bob Hope, what several Deaf people who did meet Bob Hope. Wow, he dislike Deaf people.

robert mason <robertmason@deafcafe.com> wrote:

Hi there,

I was told by several deaf individuals pretty long time ago that Bob Hope personally
dislike deaf people. Those individuals do not know each other and said SAME THINGS what Bob Hope done to them.

For example, one deaf individual happened to saw Bob Hope on the filming location in California during the 50s. This deaf individual approached Bob Hope for his autograph. Guess what? Hope said "Scatter away! You, deaf people need to get
a JOB!" The deaf individual was truly shocked to see Hope saying such a thing like that.

Bob Hope probably got disgusted with the deaf "ABC" peddlers or the deaf pretenders to get the sympathy or pity from people in his past experience.

Who knows? Hope should not make the generalization of deaf people at all.

Other deaf individuals happened to be well-off and held the respectable employment postitons. They did approach Bob Hope and got the same responses from him.

I also was told by several sources that Bob Hope gave the dirty look to the television producers via his television specials about providing the closed captions for the deaf and hard of hearing back in the early 1980s. Hope sacarastically quipped "What for? Deaf people never truly appreciate or understand jokes especially mine".

Remmy that the so-called claims about Bob Hope's dislikes of deaf people are still largely unconfirmed. We perhaps never will know for sure. That could be another myth about the Hollywood lengend. Who knows?

Charles Chaplin got very well with deaf people and learned the handful of American Sign Language. Chaplin ever casted deaf people in his movies. Hope never did!

GLENN ASL wrote:

I was told that one time there was a group of deaf people going to see one of his shows at a theatre. They sat on the front row and, of course, chatting with ASL when Bob Hope noticed them. He, then, asked the manager to move the group of deafies up to the back row....again, it is unconfirmed.

Bob Hope, indeed, became deaf and blind when he turned 90. It surely made him get all the tastes of being deaf and blind and unable to use ASL before he meets his Maker.

Wow, his body ain't even cold yet and already the shit's hit the fan....hmmmm, bad timing, methinks, to go bashing someone, especially on weak, watered down "evidence". That's worse than a buncha old ladies sitting around in rocking chairs, crocheting and gossiping! :ily:

On the other hand I would not be surprised if he did act that way towards deaf and hoh people, just b/c attitudes towards disabled people weren't really that great way back when. I am involved in Dis Rights (I have additional disabilties besides hohness) and you should hear the stuff that Jerry Lewis (aka Mr. MDA Telethon) says about the disabilty community! I mean Bob Hope and Jerry Lewis did grow up in a different time, when racism, sexism, ablelism, religionism and many other bad isms were rampent, and formed normal public opinon!

I got fowarded email "Untrue Rumor About Bob Hope Disliked Deaf People" from my friend today. Let me copy and paste here.

" i have hard time to beleive this and ididnt think he would disliked deaf people and deaf people are just like the rest of us only cant hear u know . u remmy he had marie and donnie osmonds on his special show they have two deaf brothers as well what do u say? how would they reacted if they knew, how sad people make the judgement when they dont know, we didnt ask to be deaf u know "

Well, my point wasn't really whether Mr. Hope did this or not; I was trying to convey that the timing was pretty bad....respect for the dead, ya know? Plus the "evidence" was pretty flimsy, didn't you think?

Copy/Paste Text by a deaf friend. I do not blame the deaf rumor. Please scroll down to read the message from Gregg Brooks.

To all of you!

That is not true - Julianna Fjeld, the famous Deaf actress and I met Bob Hope and his wife. Dolores at a charity dinner in 1978 and he was most gracious to us - even spelled some words and after the dinner was over, he saluted us with the "I Love You" sign.

Not only that, but when Bob was asked what was his most memorable experience and he replied when he met a group of Deaf people at a hotel in Ohio many years ago, he was enchanted by them and he had most fun with them.

Now that Bob Hope is dead, PLEASE STOP spreading the rumors - don't you have any respect for good Americans like him.

Thank you!
Gregg Brooks
Professional at Disney, Hanna Barbera and now Paramount Studios for 38 years
(Emmy winner in 1975)

Originally posted by Sabrina
Copy/Paste Text by a deaf friend. I do not blame the deaf rumor. Please scroll down to read the message from Gregg Brooks.

To all of you!

That is not true - Julianna Fjeld, the famous Deaf actress and I met Bob Hope and his wife. Dolores at a charity dinner in 1978 and he was most gracious to us - even spelled some words and after the dinner was over, he saluted us with the "I Love You" sign.

Not only that, but when Bob was asked what was his most memorable experience and he replied when he met a group of Deaf people at a hotel in Ohio many years ago, he was enchanted by them and he had most fun with them.

Now that Bob Hope is dead, PLEASE STOP spreading the rumors - don't you have any respect for good Americans like him.

Thank you!
Gregg Brooks
Professional at Disney, Hanna Barbera and now Paramount Studios for 38 years
(Emmy winner in 1975)

Right on dude. Gotta have evidence to indicate that these accusations are true. What's more, it occured back in 1950's doesn't mean that he was the same until the day he died. Everyone do change.

It is a little bit point off this subject.

I have a question... Gregg Brooks Wasn't he performing as actor for the Deaf ? Wasn't he die of AIDS? I do remember the Deaf man who had AIDS.. Wasn't his name Sam or something like that? My friend wonders if that person Gregg. I don't think so, I do remember his name was Sam. He came to Boston to show us a briefly performance and told us about his background and also how did he get the AIDS to the audience. He was impressed to tell me about the AIDS. I think, it was more than ten years ago.

Can anyone tell me, if Gregg Brooks is Deaf?? Why it said, it related to Walt Disney World??

Back