Would you sterilize your teenage daughter?

Liebling:-)))

Sussi *7.7.86 - 18.6.09*
Premium Member
Reaction score
I got those link from Parent Forum where I am member to.

Would you sterilize your teenage daughter?

As if birth control (or lack thereof) wasn't already a controversial enough topic for most, one UK official has now proposed forced, temporary sterilization for teenage girls.

As the mother of a teenage daughter, I have to admit my first reaction was to be completely horrified by this, but after tossing the idea around in my mind for a few days I'm now at the point where I'm not completely against the general idea as a concept. Unfortunately it isn't that simple though.

It remains highly debatable if encouraging teens to use birth control is the same as giving them permission to have sex. Is having condoms available in school bathrooms protecting them from unplanned pregnancies and sexually transmitted diseases, or is it simply giving them the green light to be sexually active? To be honest, I'm not sure. I think it really depends on the individual teenager and what their existing views are about having sex in the first place.

What really troubles me about this concept though is not the sterilization itself, it is the idea of it being forced upon teenagers. I can't imagine living in a society where such a thing could be mandatory for those between the ages of 12-17. Presented as a choice, I think the idea could have merit for those who choose to take advantage of it, but forced? It crosses the line on too many other issues - freedom of choice being the main one.

So the question is - If you could make the decision to temporarily sterilize your teenage daughter, would you? Is this a valid concept, or does it take away from our personal rights?

Would you sterilize your teenage daughter? - ParentDish

What do you think of this?

I personally think it's not good idea because they are suppose to have sex education at earlier to handle the responsiblitites.

:hmm: My question is, if the girl is sterilized temporarily, (the question is how temporary it is?) but when she gets mature enough, get married. If she wants to have family, she'd have to go to hospital and have it reversed. It comes with risk and is expensive and there's 50/50 chance it might work or not.

I personally think that this alone is a sticky issue to mend with because sterilization is something that needs to be taken seriously. It's not like "Oh we can sterilize them and unsterilize them when we want to". It doesn't work like that way because sterilization itself is a very complicated process. If it were to be reversed, that alone can put some to a risk because there's only a possibility of 50/50 chance. I think the age of being a teen to get sterlized is kind of too young for that. What if the process is not successful? What if they are to be sterilized permanently and having no chance of having their own children in the future when they're adults? Anything could go wrong.

On the other hand, sterilization is like a "green" light to let the teenagers know that they could have sex at any time without being "worry-free" of pregnancies. Is that what we want our teens to go through? I think not. It's like asking for teens to have no responsibilities at all and to take care of their selves. I think this is just another "easy' way out of this rather than dealing with it head-on.

Sure, there has been a lot of unplanned pregnancies among teenagers but to the point where it gets to be temporarily sterilized? I'm just not so sure about that. Teens are still growing and their bodies changes over the time until they become adults. Sex Education is one of the options that can help prevent unwanted pregnancies.

I personally think that this alone is a sticky issue to mend with because sterilization is something that needs to be taken seriously. It's not like "Oh we can sterilize them and unsterilize them when we want to". It doesn't work like that way because sterilization itself is a very complicated process. If it were to be reversed, that alone can put some to a risk because there's only a possibility of 50/50 chance. I think the age of being a teen to get sterlized is kind of too young for that. What if the process is not successful? What if they are to be sterilized permanently and having no chance of having their own children in the future when they're adults? Anything could go wrong.

On the other hand, sterilization is like a "green" light to let the teenagers know that they could have sex at any time without being "worry-free" of pregnancies. Is that what we want our teens to go through? I think not. It's like asking for teens to have no responsibilities at all and to take care of their selves. I think this is just another "easy' way out of this rather than dealing with it head-on.

Sure, there has been a lot of unplanned pregnancies among teenagers but to the point where it gets to be temporarily sterilized? I'm just not so sure about that. Teens are still growing and their bodies changes over the time until they become adults. Sex Education is one of the options that can help prevent unwanted pregnancies.

Yep, I totally agree with your view on this issue. But I also see a red flag that I don't think sterilization will solve them for teenagers. I mean I can understand that parents don't want kids to get pregnant. But I don't think it not enough to prevent just teen pregnancies. Once a kid have sex, they forget it not the pregnancy they have to look out for. They forget that having sex comes with a big risk such as STD, HIV and aids. I don't think I would sterilizes my daughter for that. I think it the best way to do is "teach" kids about sex educations and help them learn to think twice and hard about having sex before they get serious or carried away. Educating kids is seem the only way, also keep communications open for them.

Yes I agree with you both, Jolie_77 and GTM that sterilize doesn't solve anything but teach them how to handle responsiblies and how to prevent from STD, AID, pregnant, etc. and let them know that the sex is not fun for everyone.

Agree with everyone here. Preventing the consequences of sex is not teaching children responsibilities. It is simply teaching them that there are ways to avoid consequences of irresponsibile behavior. Unwanted teen preganancy is not the problem, it is the consequence of the bigger problem of lack of responsible behavior. It's like taking medicince to relieve the symptoms of a cold. It doesn't cure the cold, it just temporarily masks the symptoms.

I notice that no one has mentioned, "would you sterilized your teenage son." ;)

No i believe it is parents responsiblity to teach the girls and boys on prevent pregnancies and teach them its better to wait till they are ready or when they are married then go for it...

my best friend got tied in 1995. She just recently got married again last oct 6th.. her husband and she want to have baby so they went to dr to see about reverse the tying. To her surprise her falliopan tubes are gone? Dr said they are too short to be able to put it together so she cant have babies?? She was upset about it cuz she thought it was tied?? apparently it is not so...

So think of that... you will ruin the girls chance of having babies in future... I voted NO!!!!

No I don't agree to sterilize my daughter. It is our responsible to teach safety in sex.

I think the reason it was targeted towards girls is because they are the ones to get pregnant and carry babies, not the males. But if they're going to sterilize the girls, might as well do the males too. Let them take on the risk just as much as the girls will. But all this does is teach these kids they can have sex without worrying about getting pregnant, and that would be unfortunate. I could see STD and AIDS rates rising as a result because of no condom use. That becomes a catch-22 for the government and health insurance.

They forget that having sex comes with a big risk such as STD, HIV and aids.

Precisely. As the reasons are clearly stated - It's like asking for sterilization to be a "problem" solver when we all know it isn't the case.

Agree with everyone here. Preventing the consequences of sex is not teaching children responsibilities. It is simply teaching them that there are ways to avoid consequences of irresponsibile behavior. Unwanted teen preganancy is not the problem, it is the consequence of the bigger problem of lack of responsible behavior. It's like taking medicince to relieve the symptoms of a cold. It doesn't cure the cold, it just temporarily masks the symptoms.

Very well said - You nailed it. ;)

Precisely. As the reasons are clearly stated - It's like asking for sterilization to be a "problem" solver when we all know it isn't the case.

Very well said - You nailed it. ;)

Yep you both got that right, I don't believe sterilization is the answer to the problem. Some people just don't think twice about the risk. :)

Risk my Daughter's chance to have a child when she is ready? Risk me from having Grandchildren in the future. Not a Chance.

I have to agree with the posts above.

I wasn't sterilized when I was a teenager so no I'm not going to do that to my daughter. I'll teach her how I was taught. No promises, of course, that she WON'T do it but to let her know that she need to be safe and look at her bright future.

So no I won't go for the sterilization.

:werd:

While doing it may help, what are the risks of undoing it?

reverse of the steriliziation may be hard and may have to get parts from leg and put tube back together? and risk getting scar tissues? small chances of getting preggy.

I had tubal ligation in 2003. mine was cut and burned.. then seared.. so its more like a permanent solution .. which mean FOREVER. cant get preggy ever again..

i think the doctor wasnt clear to all women what tubal ligation really is...

thats why women need to research what it really is... before you make a big decision to have a procedure done. tubal ligation is a PERMAMENT solution.

Tubal ligation Information on Healthline

Definition

Tubal ligation is surgery to close a woman's fallopian tubes, the tubes that connect the ovaries to the uterus. The procedure is commonly known as "tying the tubes."
Normally, a woman's fallopian tubes moves eggs from the ovary to the uterus about once a month. If a man's sperm meets up with an egg, pregnancy can result. If the tubes are closed, or "tied," sperm cannot fertilize an egg, and pregnancy will not occur.
Tubal ligation makes a woman permanently sterile (unable to get pregnant).

clear.gif
</IMG>
Alternative Names

Sterilization surgery - female; Tubal sterilization; Tube tying; Tying the tubes
clear.gif
</IMG>
Description

Tubal ligation is done in the hospital or outpatient clinic while you are under anesthesia. The surgeon will make one or two small cuts in your belly area, usually around the belly button. A laparoscope, a narrow tube with a camera on the end, is inserted into the pelvic area. Instruments to tie the tubes are sent thru the laparoscope. The tubes are either burned shut (cauterized) or shut off with a small clip.
The wounds are closed, and you are usually able to return home after a few hours.
Tubal ligation can also be done immediately after vaginal childbirth through a small cut near the belly button, or during a cesarean section.

clear.gif
</IMG>
Indications

Tubal ligation may be recommended for adult women who are certain that they do not want to get pregnant in the future.
While sterilization is very popular, some women who choose to have the procedure regret their decision later. The younger the woman, the more likely it is that she will regret having her tubes tied.
Tubal ligation is considered a permanent form of birth control. It is NOT recommended as a temporary or reversible procedure. However, the operation can sometimes be reversed if a woman later chooses to become pregnant. But, this requires a major surgical procedure. About 50 - 80% of women who have tubal ligation reversed eventually become pregnant.

clear.gif
</IMG>
Risks

Risks for tubal ligation include:
  • Incomplete closure of the tubes, which could result in woman getting pregnant in the future -- approximately 1 out of 200 women who have had tubal ligation get pregnant later
  • Increased risk of an ectopic (tubal) pregnancy if pregnancy occurs after a tubal ligation
  • Injury to nearby organs or structures caused by surgical instruments
Risks due to anesthesia include:
Risks of any surgery include:
  • Bleeding
  • Infection
clear.gif
</IMG>
Expectations after surgery

Most women recover with no problems. There are no tests required to check for sterility (to make sure the procedure will prevent pregnancy in the future).

clear.gif
</IMG>
Convalescence

Most women are told to avoid strenuous exercise for several days. Pain medicine usually helps relieve discomfort. Most women are able to return to work within a few days. You may have sexual intercourse as soon as you feel ready, usually within a week.

clear.gif

Back