Would you spank your kids when they are bad?

Originally Posted by Taylor
Yeah....I know I was spanked as a kid and I think I turned out somewhat OK

Something that did suprise me when I joined the police department was how many people call the police for us to come and discipline their kids. Some parents are afraid to discipline their kids for fear that it is abuse...and their kids act up even more and hold that fear over their parents head. I don't know about all states, but here it is OK for a parent to discipline their children...and one would hope that common sense would tell you what is discipline and what is abuse (did you spank on the butt with an open hand or did you beat them with a wooden spoon...one is discipline and one is abuse).

DoofusMama said:
Yes, I agreed with you.. I have noticed alot parents have called to Police Department to come and displince their kids.. at average age 8-18.. But.. I was surprised that school social workers and among other counselors said that I can filed abuse on teenagers who hit or kicked me.. I was like.. :shock: no way.. till they gave me brochure about Parents' kids abuse to their Parents.. I read.. and sure it's scary.. now days, teen-young adults have rights what they do or want... I have seen alot kids hurt or beat even kill their parents just over little thing like.. no drive the car, no games, no money... sheesh jeez. thats why they encourage parents to start with young to have police come over and file for abuse.. to learn and teach them not to hit or beat up on parents.. Listen parents..

Taylor, earlier.. I sent you email what happen.. its not going too good, so I have the family assessment program person come and discuss to help this family to understand why I have to firm or they need to listen me not others or others get their nose butt in our family business..

:) as always say.. have faith.. and move forward.. things will be better after its all work out.. its going to be long road..

wow, I can tell from this description, you made is the parents didn´t set reasonable limits to help their children do right or wrong thing enough. The children need guidance and discipline an earlier before they become teenagers. They need parent´s support, acceptance and encouragement etc. I noticed many parents think spanked as a form of discipline which it´s not because it teach children to hurt people is acceptance. ..

I always tell parents that their children should not be spanked as a form of discipline. Social science research has repeatedly shown that children who are spanked receive a message that it is acceptable to hit someone if you are more powerful. These children may become violent to peers and even to parents, as both parents and children become older. In one shocking survey, more than 10 percent of children between 13 and 24 years of age have abused their own parents.

http://coolnurse.healthology.com/focus_article.asp?f=teenhealth&c=teen_violence

Yeah....I know I was spanked as a kid and I think I turned out somewhat OK

Yes, I was spanked as a kid but it´s not okay to me... I know what it´s alike... it´s painful... It made me aggressive and disrespect against my parents. No trust and bond relationship there between them and me because I can´t talk anything open with them.

I was like :pissed: because I didn´t know why I was being spanked... that´s just because I´m naughty... They never show me right guidance and discipline... I learn alot what wrong or right from abroading school.

Some parents are afraid to discipline their kids for fear that it is abuse..

The parents need to go parental class how to develop their retationship with their children in form of discipline.

Liebling:-))) said:
...I was like :pissed: because I didn´t know why I was being spanked... that´s just because I´m naughty... They never show me right guidance and discipline....
I think that is the key statement. It wasn't just the physical punishment that hurt you; it was the fact that you didn't know the reason, and that the physical punishment wasn't backed up with "the right guidance and discipline."

Just "whipping" kids out of meaness or anger is not the same as careful discipline. Just hitting (spanking, whipping, beating, smacking, whatever it is called) a kid out of anger, frustration, meaness or pleasure is brutality. Excessive pain or injury is also wrong. Spanking should be just enough to "get their attention" but not leave permanent pain or damage.

I agree that their are some parents who should never use corporal punishment because they don't know how to judge or control their limits.

There's nothing wrong with spanking with your hand, but using a belt or spoon or brush or something hard? That IS abuse!

Back