Would you or would you not?

If you were deaf/hearing would you date someone hearing/deaf?

• Yes

Votes: 24 88.9%
  • No

Votes: 3 11.1%

• Total voters
Well, how could a person fall in love with another person when there's no communication is there. I call that "dumb love". Sorry.

If there was a chance for improving communication and both were willing to work it out, great. If not, then it's not worth to keep that love.

It's like a woman loving her abusive husband. "My husband hits me all the time, but I love him."

Yes and am currently dating hearing guy and I'm completely deaf and uses sign language I refuse to speak right now until I get my CI because I am extremely uncomfortable not able to hear myself and talking funny so when we met he know NO sign at all but we felt a lot of spark so we talked on instant message (aim and yahoo) all night and when we're around each other we used my sidekick 3 text to communicate and few months later we started dating and he brought sign language book and learned much as he can and now we talk through sign language all time :D and we been together and for one year now

Awww, that's sweet.

Im going to do that today...
Im totally into that idea now.

Thanks for the note writing idea...
It sounds romantic somehow...........

Hahahahah. :giggle:

That is what is called 'private notes' where the teacher can't see ;)

In other matter, for me it doesn't matter, as long the communication between us are strong bonded. ;)

Hey, my first marriage was to a guy that was French and I couldn't speak a word. Surely learned it fast and am fluent now, even though we're divorced now. LOL, LOL. Language should never be a barrier to love!!!!!

Yes, I would and I have. Communication isn't a factor for me because they mostly want to learn sign language or they already know sign language, or they can speak clearly for me to understand, so I have no negative to say about dating hearings. ;)

Hey my ex hearing girlfriend knew ASL but not very well that time. We were in relationship and she learned more thru my deaf friends and deaf community. She became interpreter later on.

Back to the point, we communciated great. I felt so comfy to have relationship with someone who know ASL. If no ASL then there will be no communciae which I had a plm with my ex hearing date guy. He never knew ASL. I lipread and he understood me. One night, I took him to color chase bowling night where deaf ppl hung out. He looked everyone sign back and forth. He was standing there and felt so dumb. I saw him and knew he wasnt for me bec he seem no interested to take ASL. I ended the relationship. He wasn't worth it of my time.

My answer was 'yes' and am hearing/ASL so maybe not fair to answer.

Originally Posted by Tousi
That's an interesting question. If the communicative barriers were high at the outset, it kinda makes me wonder how one falls in love, absent this ability to communicate. I guess it commenced with a spark and the two parties hung out long enough, stuck it through, and formed a relationship by improving on that initial barrier. Seems kinda complex to me. But kudos to those who have successfully overcome it.
Originally posted by Jillio
I tend to agree with you, Tousi....maybe its our age! But in order to fall in love, one must interact with another. That requires communication. I can understand the initial attraction and the communication barriers, but if you truly want to get to know the personto whom you are attracted, and see if the possibility for love is there, then you need to make the effort to communicate with that person.

Guess I am a member of the oldster club too. There has to be some deeper connection than physical attraction for it to be an 'in love' relationship.

Wow how cute and exciting ~snip~ is so... like a perfect movie scene.
I get the feeling that the cute and quaint deaf person is the ideal that this person has. No offense MissBritt, I just think you have the wrong idea about deaf folks.

I still keep the communication notes between me and hearing girl. It is fun to read the note once in a while remember the flashbacks. When I had my girlfriend, I hide it. I never wanted to show her, because it would turn out to be drama in the future. I will show it to her when we are together for long time, and start to share our past experiences with couples. It's all good.

Some hearing girls are not working for me. It was good for beginning, and once when couple (deaf/hearing) stay together for more than 5 years, they both would split, because they want to do something different. My deaf friends broke up with their long time girlfriend/boyfriend, who are hearing after staying together for 5 or more years.

I wouldn't mind dating legless lady. Maybe armless lady. It would be interest challenge.

I think it would be sexy to date and marry a deaf lady, regardless if we could have children. I have to learn more asl, but it would be so way cool!

Nope

enough is enough- I'm sick of being left out when one forgets to interpret.

I will respect my husband more if he walked a mile in my shoes being a deaf individual and knowing what is needed to be done and will provide unwavering companionship through those family events, social events and so on...

I've been told so many times that he/she the hearing peer/friend/family would interpret for me, then they will forget and I'll fade into the wall being told will explain later and it never comes

so nope, not for the search for my other half.

I voted no, because like what Kai Onca said. I have had a hearing boyfriend for almost a year and it didn't go smooth. So no thanks. I'll be friends with hearies, of course, but not marry one.

My husband is deaf and so am I.

I wouldn't mind if I'm going to date a hearing girl. But it would be little bit more challenge such as to read their lips and listen (CIs user here), you know?

Back