Would you like to order food in ASL?

Would you prefer to order food at restaurants in ASL?

• Yes!

Votes: 12 52.2%
  • No.

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Doesn't Matter.

Votes: 6 26.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kiranadia

Reaction score
I was just wondering if you were at a fast food restaurant would you like to be able to order your food in ASL.

I work at a fast food restaurant (Chick Fil A) and have some Deaf individuals come in, they used to grab a menu and circle what they wanted and write the kind of drink down...it frustrated me so much! My coworkers have seen me do my best to take the order in Sign Language (although I know I'm not great by any means at least I try) and now they call me whenever they see deaf people walk in so I can take the order.

What would you prefer? Circling/writing or your native Language of ASL?

I was just wondering if you were at a fast food restaurant would you like to be able to order your food in ASL.

I work at a fast food restaurant (Chick Fil A) and have some Deaf individuals come in, they used to grab a menu and circle what they wanted and write the kind of drink down...it frustrated me so much! My coworkers have seen me do my best to take the order in Sign Language (although I know I'm not great by any means at least I try) and now they call me whenever they see deaf people walk in so I can take the order.

ASL all the way.

If they know ASL, then sure, i would use ASL. But reality, the majority of hearing people with no tools rely on voice,

ASL if the service is available.

I don't even do the menu thing anymore... I just text on my BB and shove it in their face; for some reason I get better services and more respect than just circling things or writing.

No. I want it written down because I am extremely precise about what I want. I don't want any mistakes.

Why does it frustrate you so much that they would circle what they wanted on the menu? Why do your co-workers run to you when they see deafies enter? Since you are with your co-workers 8 hours a day, why don't you share what you know about signs? The choices of "circling" and ASL are but two ways to communicate in the deaf world. ASL, a term loosely used is the goal but it is not THE language of the majority at this time.

Anyway, best wishes to you in your endeavors.

No. I want it written down because I am extremely precise about what I want. I don't want any mistakes.

Yet, they didn't read 100% on your specs order like I did. They go ahead and order and something it have that I don't want it. What a lazy but that's fast-food to us

Eh, I just order in voice and read lips. Usually I am so used to what they are going to say (for here or to go? Something to drink? etc...) that it's easy to predict what they are saying even if I don't hear it. But, I suppose if a worker knew ASL and we both knew the right vocab for the food I was ordering, I'd do it that way, too... not a fan of the blackberry thing. I did that at a bar once and they acted really weird towards me. I don't mind just holding the menu and pointing to something on it. A lot of hearing people do that too, BTW.

Eh, I just order in voice and read lips. Usually I am so used to what they are going to say (for here or to go? Something to drink? etc...) that it's easy to predict what they are saying even if I don't hear it. But, I suppose if a worker knew ASL and we both knew the right vocab for the food I was ordering, I'd do it that way, too... not a fan of the blackberry thing. I did that at a bar once and they acted really weird towards me. I don't mind just holding the menu and pointing to something on it. A lot of hearing people do that too, BTW.

i thought we're talking about fast food? :lol:

i thought we're talking about fast food? :lol:

Oh, haha. I missed that stipulation. Oops. Well, in that case, since I don't really eat fast food, not a problem, eh?

But, I'm always up for going to the Popeye's across from the Census Bureau building in Washington, DC. Good memories from that place. :)

BSL for me all the way. That would make it so much easier!!

I just point name at menu if it nearby, if not then paper and pen to write down what I want.

BSL for me all the way. That would make it so much easier!!

I just point name at menu if it nearby, if not then paper and pen to write down what I want.

The OP is not likely to know what BSL is....:D

Mind you, I don't eat fast food much anymore unless I need a fix right away.

Normally I go and sit down at a place, and point and nod.

If I am going to enjoy food... $15 sit-down meal is better than $3 worth of empty calories.

Why does it frustrate you so much that they would circle what they wanted on the menu? Why do your co-workers run to you when they see deafies enter? Since you are with your co-workers 8 hours a day, why don't you share what you know about signs? The choices of "circling" and ASL are but two ways to communicate in the deaf world. ASL, a term loosely used is the goal but it is not THE language of the majority at this time.

Anyway, best wishes to you in your endeavors.

I try to teach them but most are ignorant and say "it's cool that you know, I don't care, just help them..." "I probably wont see another deaf person in my life, I don't care" Which may be true except we have several people who are deaf from a Deaf community up the street and they always come in with their menu in hand. I ask them if there is anything else in Sign Language and they are always so happy.
My coworkers see it but they're not willing to put in the effort... that's why I get frustrated.

The OP is not likely to know what BSL is....:D

And for your information I do know what British Sign Language is. I say ASL because it is closest to me. I live in California and that is what the majority of the deaf people I know here use if they aren't lip readers, or been taught at the school down the street teaching SEE (yuck) :D

My new fave fast food is Taco Bell. The server uses both ASL and gestures to be sure that she understands my order. (oh yeah and the fresco menu items) My second fave place is Arbys for the same reason. Both servers grew up with deaf friends. yay! I much prefer that to the eye rolling or some such I get at "better" hash houses.

one time at a farmers market i asked a guy at the kettlecorn booth for popcorn and he signed "sorry, deaf" and i got to sign, "thats fine, popcorn please?" and he signed, "2 dollars" it was the highlight of the night for me. i dont get out much.

one time at a farmers market i asked a guy at the kettlecorn booth for popcorn and he signed "sorry, deaf" and i got to sign, "thats fine, popcorn please?" and he signed, "2 dollars" it was the highlight of the night for me. i dont get out much.

:hmm: Was it a whole deaf farmer's market?

If not why did he not have a method to sell his wares?

whenever i order at fast food place. I write down my order sometimes they don't get my order right but I get my food free.. at no charge :cool2:

:hmm: Was it a whole deaf farmer's market?

If not why did he not have a method to sell his wares?

I was wondering same thing. Maybe he wasn't supposed to be one of the cashiers but found himself in the position?

Back