Would you choose become hearie?

• Yes

Votes: 9 25.7%
  • No

Votes: 19 54.3%
  • Not know

Votes: 7 20.0%

• Total voters
No for me. I born Deaf and never had any hearing. If I suddenly be hearing I think I hate it and it be way too odd. It will give me head poor headache!

I thought Deaf culture is really AWESOME.

It is, but the way I see it you can be hearing and fully involved in Deaf culture- no?
How about CODA?
Professionals like translators, teachers etc in Deaf culture?

Fuzzy

Believe it or not this happened to me. I was born without ear canals and eardrums. I had the oppertunity to become hearing through surgery....(ie no more hearing aids) I had it done intially, and at first it was AMAZING....But then it failed, and I realized that I simply had not fully come to terms with being HOH in the first place. Here's a story I wrote about that experiance: I Have Heard the Wind

I've had hearing and now 5 1/2 years of total silence (except for the roaring and constant music in head). Do I miss hearing? Sometimes. Would I want to go back to hearing? Not really. I would not want to have to go through all the adapting again. I still have adjustments to make, but I am learning to deal with life as it is.

Last edited:
No for me. I born Deaf and never had any hearing. If I suddenly be hearing I think I hate it and it be way too odd. It will give me head poor headache!

Truth!!! How weird be hearing. I imagine make sleep so hard!

. Here's a story I wrote about that experiance: I Have Heard the Wind

What an interesting, well written story!! Thanks for sharing that!

Fuzzy

I said no. I won't list all the reasons, but one reason is it has made me realize who my true friends are. When I was struggling to be hard of hearing (hearing enough for other hearing) as long as I was keeping up, I could be part of the conversation, but as soon as it was difficult in any degree, I was no longer worth their time. I have a headache now due to work, so I won't go into more reasons.

No, I wouldn't want to change one thing. Right now, it is perfect. HAs and I can have all the noise. I turn them off, and suddenly everthing is very peaceful.
The real reason for me to say no: I think I wouldn't be the person who I am today. I would be cut off from a wonderful world, with wonderful caring people.
No, I like it the way it is:deaf:

No, I wouldn't want to change one thing. Right now, it is perfect. HAs and I can have all the noise. I turn them off, and suddenly everthing is very peaceful.
The real reason for me to say no: I think I wouldn't be the person who I am today. I would be cut off from a wonderful world, with wonderful caring people.No, I like it the way it is:deaf:

This, I don't understand. Why would you necessarily be cut off from wonderful, caring people? They wouldn't be friends with you anymore if you could hear?

I realize this is all a hypothetical question and since it's not going to happen, the question of keeping friends or dumping them won't really come up. I'm just curious as to why you think such a cut off would happen.

thanks! I'm expanding it currently for my memoirs. And yes, I still have the stuffed racoon that Maureen gave me.

Yes!, definitely please do that, and how sweet! :)

Fuzzy

I thought I'd have an absolute answer when I saw the question but when I sit and think about it I do not know if I would or not. It depends on if my quality of life improved. Would I still be the outcast as I am now as a hearie? Would I still be living the life I am now, same job, husband? If so then I'd have to say no. If things would have turned out better ( not that I hate my life ) then yes.

If I could hear I'd either be in the army or a cop. Most likely a cop right now. Only reason I'm not is because I'm Deaf. I passed all of the tests minus the physical of course. :(

This, I don't understand. Why would you necessarily be cut off from wonderful, caring people? They wouldn't be friends with you anymore if you could hear?

I realize this is all a hypothetical question and since it's not going to happen, the question of keeping friends or dumping them won't really come up. I'm just curious as to why you think such a cut off would happen.

I was thinking the same thing. We LDs say all the time "The friends you lost when you lost your hearing weren't really friends to begin with." Seems it would work both ways. :dunno:

Ive thought about this a bit more... and for me it really depends on what challenges are required to get there. I can only image what regrowing the hair cells in a cochlea would be like. Would it be painfull? would there be side affects? Will I want onions on my cheese burgers after??? There are all important to me! (errr, maybe not the onions part since I don't like onions)

I was thinking the same thing. We LDs say all the time "The friends you lost when you lost your hearing weren't really friends to begin with." Seems it would work both ways. :dunno:

Ok, I got some explaining to do.
Well, first of all I read two different questions. Would I choose to be hearing and would I choose to become hearing.
My answer was really to the first one. If I was hearing, all my life long, I think I wouldn't be one of those people who think much about deaf culture and so on. I think I would be one of those hearing people who knew that there are deaf people out there and that they can't hear and that's it. Therefore I'd miss a wonderful culture, wouldn't get to know a beautiful language and wouldn't know half as many caring people as I do now, within the deaf community.
As for the second question...That one is a bit harder, but I still think I wouldn't change a thing. There probably are "friends" of mine, who would abandon me, if I would turn into a hearie. The thing I really wonder about the most is whether I would stay in touch with the deaf community on a regular basis? Or would I change and make new hearing friends and would somehow turn my back on the deaf community? Of course I would keep my friends, but would I still be involved in a community with people that I don't have that much in common anymore? Right now I do have a place where I belong. Is that something that never could change? Or is there a small risk of losing that? Wouldn't want to take any chances...

Back