Would anyone mind helping me out a bit?

Jackie88

Reaction score
Hey everyone! My name is Jackie and I'm almost 18 years old and I am not deaf. I want to be an interpreter for a living and was wondering if anyone could help me out a bit. I would like tips and things on what I should and shouldn't do, I don't want to accidentally be rude or affend anyone. Oh, and does anyone know when the next get together is at LVCIL? I tried to look it up online and the closest one they had posted was in November which isn't going to help me much. haha Anyway, I appreciate all your help.

If you want to go down that road, fitrt of all you have to learn what deaf people find acceptable as means of visual communication..which is way differnt from visual....its like learning a differnty language but using the right words and geustures to imply emotion or meaning.... the deaf world need people like you ....to link that bridge.....its is with much regret..that the hearing world often has such dis respect for us that are hard of hearing than that of us that are totally deaf where..the visual is more evident...in the hard of hearing world...there is no understanding that one can only hear part of ....rather than not at all....i envey your dedication man..and so forth with you goodwill you will be rewarded with understanding.

Have you decided on a school for your ITP (interpreter training program)? You need at least a two-year degree, and a four-year degree is even better.

While you attend ITP, you should begin fellowshipping with people in the Deaf community. That will sharpen your signing skills, and help you understand Deaf culture and your local Deaf community.

If you join your state's affiliate RID, you will be able to meet other terps and pick their brains. At some point, you will want to find a mentor.

Welcome aboard! :)

I don't see why anyone needs to judge people just because they're not like them. I love talking to everybody as long as they're respectable. I understand learning ASL will be very difficult and I am up for the challenge. I would like to meet someone who is deaf that lives around me so that I may learn quickly. Anyone interested? I live near Allentown, Pennsylvania.

Hi Jackie88, Please try this link...

http://www.rid.org/

Thank you for interpretiing and welcome to the Deaf community!!! Merry Christmas and God Bless !!!! :ily: :thumb:

Jackie88 said:
I don't see why anyone needs to judge people just because they're not like them. I love talking to everybody as long as they're respectable. I understand learning ASL will be very difficult and I am up for the challenge. I would like to meet someone who is deaf that lives around me so that I may learn quickly. Anyone interested? I live near Allentown, Pennsylvania.
I live near Allentown :smoking:

I would love to meet you. I would appreciate any help you would care to give me.

:wave: :welcome: to Alldeaf Jackie88. I hope you have enjoyed your stay here on Alldeaf, and have met some really helpful people to get you started on your goals to become an interpreter. I wish you the best of luck. Have fun posting, and enjoy your stay on Alldeaf. Welcome aboard!!! Happy New Year! :wave:

Back