Worst doctor/ audiologist/gp etc

Lissa

Premium Member
Reaction score
Anybody have experiences where your gp/doctor/ audiologist had said something stupid?

My audiologist, when i was really little around 5 years old said i wasnt deaf, that i was being 'naughty' and 'putting it on', or that 'i can hear, i just werent listening'
My mum complained and i got referrerd to the cochlear implant audiologist, they tested me and i was borderline for a ci so they didnt give it to me. So i had to see that audiologist and he continued saying stupid things to my mum about me. my mum just ignored him

I actually had a severe loss

i had an audi several years ago who didn't know how to program my oticon digifocus 2 super power bte's. instead of consulting with another audi as to how to do this, he insisted that i couldn't benefit from digital aids due to my severe-profound hearing loss. :roll:

as for my doctor, opthalmologist, ci audi, ci surgeon, therapist and psychiatrist, they all have been wonderful to me. :)

in fact, i've been seeing the same doctor for the past 14 and a half years. :D

I know of an audiologist who needs to be fired for doing unethical things. Too bad that thread was locked and closed for business.

Mod's Note:

Thread's moved to it's proper location.

For the most part, I have been lucky. Although I have had doctors treat me as just a name on a chart, they have never said anything stupid to me. I did have one that gave me a prescription for meds for fluid behind the ears, and I ran all over town to find it, only to find it wasn't made anymore. I called him (before my hearing loss) and he said to come back for a different prescription. I did, took it to a pharmacy only to find out it was on over the counter med. Wasted two hours of my day, but that is the military mind..they don't think in terms of civilian pharmacies.

Back in '96 when I had my ear surgery at Mass Eye and Ear, there was this really witchie-poo audi who asked me if I'd ever had speech therapy or if my teachers knew about my hearing loss?!?! I still don't know what happened with that since all paperwork and documentation clearly indicates that I've been hoh since birth, and I have had tons of speech therapy.

This new audiologist ordered new digital hearing aids, and she said that before that I'd be hearing tons of new things I'd never heard before. That I'd be overwhelmed with new sounds. It turned out to be the same as my analog hearing aids or a bit worse because I found the digitals to make my ears tired even though I wasn't hearing new things with the digital hearing aids. This audiologist also never showed me or mailed me the audiogram test she did for me. It seemed she didn't know crap.

I feel lucky, I have a super ENT doctor, a good GP and a good audiologist.

I want to thank my ENT doc for his help for paperwork, because very little ENT doc help for paperwork.

:wave:

The Mod said that has been moved, whre has it been moved?

The Mod said that has been moved, whre has it been moved?

It was moved from the General Chat Forum to the Hearing Aids & Cochlear Implants Forum.

Also, If you're not sure where your thread is at - You can go to your profile and click on 'statistics' then go to "Find All Threads started by (your username)'. That also will show you where your thread is located at.

Yea...I have stupid Audiologist...ugh! I prefer the other one but she got job offered in Wisc I think. But I am currently looking for CI audiologist and may have to start all over again.

My previous OB/GYN isn't do anything for me so I felt he was advantaging the money. So I found different one, and I felt so much better with them. So I'll stick with them for long time. :)

Other than that I have no problems. :)

OK, I'm a doctor, but I know there are some bozos out there that don't think.

I'm deaf and use a wheelchair and I have a service dog. An Orthopedic Surgeon once got on an elevator with me and looked at me, looked at the dog, then said "you don't look blind".

:roll:!

I was about to say, you look smart, but...

I'm deaf and use a wheelchair and I have a service dog. An Orthopedic Surgeon once got on an elevator with me and looked at me, looked at the dog, then said "you don't look blind".

I only lost my hearing within the last two years and am now deaf. When the technician was drawing blood for my CI pre op tests, I asked her to look at me when speaking so I could speech read. She stopped, looked at me and said "you don't sound like you are deaf".

oh brother... :roll:

by the way, what *are* blind people supposed to look like? I've always wondered that...

I only lost my hearing within the last two years and am now deaf. When the technician was drawing blood for my CI pre op tests, I asked her to look at me when speaking so I could speech read. She stopped, looked at me and said "you don't sound like you are deaf".

believe it or not, the same thing happened to me before my first ci surgery. i was using a tactile terp and the technician asked me, "are you really deaf because you don't sound like it." :roll:

I remember one doctor well for the wrong reasons. She didn't believe me when I told her I was born deaf and no, my thyroid wasn't the cause of my deafness. Rubella is the cause of my deafness. I started having problems with low thyroid when I was 19. I never came back to her.

I've had my share of stupid doctors.

Most do the usual mistake , if I go with someone else , they talk to the someone else, not me.so I don't bring anyone , even my mother.

Also I've had OB/GYN at the hospital he was an trainee , and I hadn't been asked for a permission to get a trainee look for my problems , also the proper doctor and the trainee hurt me a lot.and I had told them to close the damn AC.Never did , left in the middle of august with a good - set cold.Never got my foot in there again.

My HA audie , was a really good guy , he would talk to me, ask me things , and always tell me he wanted me to talk , not my folks.that made me feel really good.

My dentist was really good to go too , as my eye doctor . both are in my hometown though , and when I moved , I had to switch , and found my share of insulting ones.

One eye doctor said that I will eventually go blind as I was deaf.that was really stupid.Everybody in my family wears glasses,it's just a family thing.

Another did not explain to me anything about some eye problem , just prescribed me some medicines and shuttled me off..needless to say I didn't went there again.

An ENT doctor thought I was really stupid and started signing , and I'd told him I DON'T know any signing , although it was good he knew.but after that he just talked facing away and things.very rude.I told him lots of times not to face away , he continued.

That's it.

Always hated it when I encounter audis who tell me that I should look into getting a CI because it would improve the quality of my life. What the hell do they know about my life anyway. Stupid!

Back