World Population to Hit 6.5 Billion Today (Feb. 25, 2006)

Endymion

Reaction score
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11545564/?GT1=7756

A population milestone is about to be set on this jam-packed planet.

On Saturday, Feb. 25, at 7:16 p.m. ET, the population here on this good Earth is projected to hit 6.5 billion people.

Along with this forecast, an analysis by the International Programs Center at the U.S. Census Bureau points to another factoid, Robert Bernstein of the Bureau's Public Information Center advised LiveScience. Mark this on your calendar: Some six years from now, on Oct. 18, 2012 at 4:36 p.m. ET, the Earth will be home to 7 billion folks.

. . .

I have SO much to say on the topic of economic growth and how it relates to population growth. Unfortunately, quite a bit of it is not very good at all!

One basic thing we economists are taught in macroeconomic theory is the Solow Growth Model. Population growth has a bad effect -- it's the same thing as increasing how fast machinery wears out (depreciates) for companies and consumers everywhere.

In fact, the Solow Model offers the analysis that economies with higher rates of population growth will have lower income per worker! So the faster babies pop out of mothers in America, the less money you get to solow.

Think about this on a global scale!

Last edited:
LOL, yep!

And err . . . that last sentence in the above post should be "... get to spend." not "... get to solow."

Last edited:
The New World Order crystallizing.
To hell with the environment, the Rapture is coming anyway.

it's gonna cause more decay to the forests and more sprawl (I hope not) That's why Seattle worked so hard to curb sprawl and put more people in dense urban centers. It is not sprawling as much as it used to in the 90's. They're building up more and not spreading out. Sprawl is bad for the ecosystem and the long commutes to work.

It's sad for many countries in the world (the indeveloped ones don't know about population control, like India, China (used to), etc.

sequoias said:
it's gonna cause more decay to the forests and more sprawl (I hope not) That's why Seattle worked so hard to curb sprawl and put more people in dense urban centers. It is not sprawling as much as it used to in the 90's. They're building up more and not spreading out. Sprawl is bad for the ecosystem and the long commutes to work.

It's sad for many countries in the world (the indeveloped ones don't know about population control, like India, China (used to), etc.

What is "sprawl", my friend??

Peachy Lady said:
What is "sprawl", my friend??

it means building low density homes spreading out in the edges of the suburbs eating up the forests and the ecosystems. Atlanta has one of the worst sprawl if you look at the map at the edges of the metro on a satellite map.

I have googled satelite map of Atlanta. I see what you mean. I remember now that you told me about it.

Satelite map of Atlanta, GA

In order to see satelite map, type "Atlanta, Georgia" in search, then click Satelite. There's indicator arrow to move up and down for closer viewing, can drag with mouse on map to move it around.

Peachy Lady, you're welcome and glad you understand what it means. :)

Back