workout?

I go to the Gym about 3 times a week. Cycle 4km there which helps. Also train in Karate and Tai Chi.
I'd do more, but i'm 39 and things are frankly starting to catch up with me. Plus I work in a Steel fabrications firm and all day spent mauling 30+kg metal around means I'm just too tired to workout properly..

Im too tired to feel like this. My sessions are insane. 90-120 min. As soon as I walk out tue door I down my protein/creatine and just want to get home and rest. My goal is a ripped body. Better than the guys on 300. Long term goal but Ive never been so motivated in my life. Educated myself, I have it down to a science. Theres good information on the net.

Sounds to me like you're overtraining, you should feel good when you leave. If you're overtraining you're going to do too much breaking your muscle down. Yo'll end up burning it instead of building it.

Overtraining is a myth. A buzzword. Muscles need to be torn to be built.

Overtraining is a myth.

Not true.

Muscles need to be torn to be built.

Right, but then they need to recover from that tearing down. If you only tear them down, all you'll have is torn down muscles. You tear them down because the healing process, responding to those tears, is what builds stronger muscles.

You may recover very well, very quickly, at this point in your life, that you don't realize what's happening, that you need that part of the process. If you go at it too hard for too long without enough breaks, you'll eventually just start getting weaker and weaker. What "too hard, too long etc" means can vary from one person to another, but the risk is real.

And depending on how bad it is, it can take a long time to recover from that weakening.

yea it makes sense. Mines usually 2 times a week. I used to do like 6 to 7 times a week but im getting tired, then back to 2 times a week. sometimes up to 3 or 4 times a week. It depends on my mood. LOL the problem is Foods chase me. ;)

That article expounds more of the psychological effects. I have a six day split and give certain body areas at least a 2 day rest period. I do get plenty of rest and sleep. My body is much better and I cant deny the results. My nutrition is based on daily macros and I have cheat days, sometimes SEVERAL cheat days in a row, especially when visiting fam. Im watching myself so I dont get burnout and esentially bored with my workouts and nutrition. I still think overtraining is a myth. There is men with very physically demanding 8 hour jobs/40 hr work weeks and have phenomenal bodies, are they overtraining? Its bs.

That article expounds more of the psychological effects. I have a six day split and give certain body areas at least a 2 day rest period. I do get plenty of rest and sleep. My body is much better and I cant deny the results. My nutrition is based on daily macros and I have cheat days, sometimes SEVERAL cheat days in a row, especially when visiting fam. Im watching myself so I dont get burnout and esentially bored with my workouts and nutrition. I still think overtraining is a myth. There is men with very physically demanding 8 hour jobs/40 hr work weeks and have phenomenal bodies, are they overtraining? Its bs.

It's absolutely not BS. You may be fine, your recovery may be sufficient. Time is the big test of that. The article addresses physiological issues, not just psyche stuff, and the two can be extremely interwoven. The fact that there are men with physically demanding jobs and seem fine is not proof that there is no such thing as overtraining. We all have our thresholds, our limits, our capabilities. These guys may just be really well suited for that kind of thing. I'm sure you can find people who would crack under your regimen, and other people whose regimen would kill you. It's a completely individual process. The issue with overtraining is that *within that process for each individual*, are the muscle fibers getting a chance to recover between sessions of getting broken down? If they're not, they'll get weaker, not stronger. Do that long enough and you'll start to feel the symptoms of overtraining. And it's not fun.

Thats the thing, I was severely out of shape and tired easy, so im pushing myself. But I think 2 hrs is good enough.

I think it's great that you're doing that. And it sounds like you know alot about recovery, with the six day split etc. If you think 2 hours is enough, it probably is. It's easy to talk about overtraining, but everyone is so different, where each of us needs to call it a day is a pretty tough call. We each have to pay attention to any signals our bodies are giving us and decide for ourselves. I hope you reach your goals:)

I try to go to the gym 3-4 times during the week and really do the treadmill, bike, elliptical and occasionally weights. I also try to do spin once a week and yoga once or twice a week. Any other yogis here?

I try to maintain 3x/week, realistically - I have been working out what seems like ungodly hours of the week, like 3x for a month, one week never, another 5+;;, etc. at varying intensity...even in the middle of the night. I don't get discouraged if I miss a workout, just pick up where I left off.

Overtraining is a myth. A buzzword. Muscles need to be torn to be built.

no. it's a truth. I have a few friends who are bodybuilders. overtraining will lead to permanent damage. I used to have a trainer too. they all repeatedly warned me the same thing - do not overtrain.

yes you are right that muscles do need to be torn to be rebuilt but these are only microtears. overtraining leads to more than microtears and it will result in injury.

muscle fatigue + insufficient time for it to completely heal = waste of time + injury. for example - you can train hard for a couple months assuming that you have at least 2 days in a week for recovery. after a few months - you need to stop working out for like 2 weeks for your body to completely heal. then you can resume back to your rambo training.

so take it easy, rambo. it takes more than 3-5 years to get a ripped body that will lasts you a long time.

yea and guess what happened to them in the end? permanent injury. crippled for life.

i workout 5 days of the week in the gym then sometimes do yoga, hiking and stuff on the weekend. As for the whole overtraining thing jiro is right. You do need adequate rest days but on a side note, alot of people who think they ma be overtraining may in fact just be under eating.
acro yoga picture, me and my girlfriend playing in the park

i workout 5 days of the week in the gym then sometimes do yoga, hiking and stuff on the weekend. As for the whole overtraining thing jiro is right. You do need adequate rest days but on a side note, alot of people who think they ma be overtraining may in fact just be under eating.
acro yoga picture, me and my girlfriend playing in the park

That is quite true. You shouldn't feel completely exhausted and drained when you leave the gym, if you are you're either not getting enough fuel, overdoing it, or a combination of the two. You should feel good!! like totally pumped when you leave the gym, be on that endorphin high. That's how people get hooked on working out. If you leave completely drained you're doing something wrong.
I'm getting pretty stoked about my progress when I started lifting heavy a little over a month ago. I am loving my legs, I got a couple pics I'll edit in, not that you can really see my legs much....but I'm all proud and shit :D

ambrosia-albums-stuff-i-ve-posted-picture6118-img-0620.jpg

ambrosia-albums-stuff-i-ve-posted-picture6119-img-0624.jpg

I have to admit that my arms looked pretty close to that already, I'm a massage therapist, and every single job I've ever had has been fairly physical, upper body was already pretty built. But I'm def getting harder :laugh2:

I got really stressed out last year and lost a lot of weight, I'm a good 10 pounds more than I was last summer, and it's all muscle, I've been working really hard on what I do gain back isn't fat, but meat ;)

Over-training is real. Worked out for over two decades and so I know a thing or two. Your body will eventually need the rest. Rest is what helps you make the gains if you are feeling plateaued.

Back