working world...

Mulak

Reaction score
i'm wondering how does deafie work in the hearing world? ... for example how do you hear the phone? does your assistant be the ear or your clients come to visit you or vice versa? or something else? i wondered how deafie builds on their communication skills since its only disadvantage of being a deafie and communication is a big part of working world and also decrease your chances of getting the job...

Mulak

i either read lips, write on notepad.. whenever the announce on speakers wants my group in back room i have a co-worker get me.. if theres an emerency i either heard and understand or a co-worker get me.

i have no problem with any communication skills.. a deafie can find many ways.. there's pagers, paper, pen, PDA, tty. and list so on..

some large companies have voice-to-text computer program..

i know one deaf banker communicates with his customers on loans, and things by using a computer that computer is voice-to-text.. and when a deaf banker wants to talk.. he types and the computer voice caleld text-to-voice.

Since, I volunteered at my old school this summer, it was not EASY, because the employee forgets that I am deaf and I didn't even have any access to the TTY via computer, because that work place is on dialup. I got very frustrated because it was my first time experiencing the reality of working world.

Mulak said:
i was researching after i post the thread... i found info about a device called ITY its good talking one on one if you can not understand the client

http://www.interpretype.com/ity/what.php

check it out sounds good
that is what my VR is trying to look for communications devices that are suitable for me to communicate without interpreters

Back