Working with the Deaf (Questions from a hearie)

dapostman5

Reaction score
Hi everyone I am a first time poster here! I hope that I am putting this in the right area, if not please move :P.
I work in the social services field and recently received a deaf client who is 17 years old. This prompted me to visit this site to get a better grasp on the deaf community. I would really like to communicate with him as effectively as possible but it is very rough.
He comes from a family with very little resources and we are trying to help. I do not know ASL, but an interpreter I went to with him explained to me that he has only a basic understanding of ASL and does not have a strong grasp of the language. Another problem is that he has never learned to read very well so words must be carefully chosen when writing.

Any advice or recommendations?

Hi everyone I am a first time poster here! I hope that I am putting this in the right area, if not please move :P.
I work in the social services field and recently received a deaf client who is 17 years old. This prompted me to visit this site to get a better grasp on the deaf community. I would really like to communicate with him as effectively as possible but it is very rough.
He comes from a family with very little resources and we are trying to help. I do not know ASL, but an interpreter I went to with him explained to me that he has only a basic understanding of ASL and does not have a strong grasp of the language. Another problem is that he has never learned to read very well so words must be carefully chosen when writing.

Any advice or recommendations?

Instead of using an ASL terp, use a CDI.

CDI? I am still very unfamiliar with a lot of the lingo and acronyms

Sorry. Certified Deaf Interpreter. An ASL interpreter will interpret from ASL to English and English to ASL. A CDI interprets from more of a cultural foundation. In mental health evals, we use CDIs quite a bit because of the cultural differences that influence diagnosis. A CDI will be able to interpret home signs better, will be able to account for the language deprivation, and can provide meaning to the significance of posture, etc. Ask whatever agency you are using for the ASL terp if they have a CDI on staff, and if not, to refer you to an agency that employs a CDI.

CDI? I am still very unfamiliar with a lot of the lingo and acronyms

CDI is for Certified Deaf Interpreter.

Their role is to convey the information to the client who has little basic knowledge of ASL or whatanot. It's like being a 'third' person (or actually the 4th) in this case where the ASL 'terp relays the message and then the CDI will translate that message to the client.

To learn more about it - Check this out;

STANDARD PRACTICE PAPER

Sorry. Certified Deaf Interpreter. An ASL interpreter will interpret from ASL to English and English to ASL. A CDI interprets from more of a cultural foundation. In mental health evals, we use CDIs quite a bit because of the cultural differences that influence diagnosis. A CDI will be able to interpret home signs better, will be able to account for the language deprivation, and can provide meaning to the significance of posture, etc. Ask whatever agency you are using for the ASL terp if they have a CDI on staff, and if not, to refer you to an agency that employs a CDI.

Ah, Well Said! You're on the right track, Heh! :)

Wow! You all really did put me on the right track. I cannot wait till Monday.
Thank you so much :wave:

You can use a CDI AND a sign language interpreter - a CDI will help break down the language even further. Best of luck!

Wow! You all really did put me on the right track. I cannot wait till Monday.
Thank you so much :wave:

You are very welcome. BTW, if you are working with a deaf client, it certainly wouldn't hurt for you to lurk around the forum and get some insight as to deaf culture.

You can use a CDI AND a sign language interpreter - a CDI will help break down the language even further. Best of luck!

Absolutely. And in some cases,it is necessary to use both for accurracy.

I need help to

Hello everyone,:wave:
I am a 'hearie"? I am interesting in learning more about the Deaf Culture, I'm taking ASL in college- right now it's my first class. But I am very curious why or why not you consider yourselves,.. to have a disability or not?
I'm not trying to be rude, I just don't know? Can someone help me with some answers?...
Please ..............

Back