working as a deaf person

darts180

Reaction score
hi, i just wondered what's it like for you working as a deaf person? what job do you have or had in the past? also do you feel like where you try to find a job that its advertised too highly, saying you need to be good at this, skills required etc.. alot of employer's will turn you down if you dont meet their requirements, that's a challenge for me at times like if i say im not very good at communication skills like on the phone, serving on the till, management role etc.. i prefer the worker like odd jobs, clearing up, shelf stocking, bringing in deliveries. sometimes if the person your talking to whether it's a customer or delivery driver, they might have an accent or speak to quick and that's a nightmare for me lol as i have to ask them to say it again. it's like deaf people can work but only really suited to certain jobs yeah.

Well were an in Liberia, Deaf people are treated as second class citizens.
Quite interestingly, despite access to information and equal work opportunities being some of the fundamental human right under the declaration of the United Nations Convention on the rights and dignity of persons with disabilities proclaimed by the United Nations, the deaf adults and children of school going ages in Liberia are entitled to have their special needs taken into consideration at all stages of economic and social planning.
The deaf children in Liberia of school going ages don't generally enjoy their rights and fundamental freedom in equal circumstances as to hearing children. There is constant violation of human right of deaf adults and children characterized by marginalization, lacked of social services and parental care for independent living.

Back