Work

girlingrey

Reaction score
I was lucky enough to get hired at a local retail store. I did not mention my h-aids or hearing loss on app, at interview (which was more like a "Hi, sign these papers and show up for training"), nor on training day. During the interview I wore my hair down, but during training it had to be worn back (uniform).

Did you tell your employer previous to employment about your hearing loss?
When did your employer acknowledge it (if ever)?
Were any accommodations made for your job? What?
Any problems you have run into with hearing loss/work?

I was upfront with the supervisior from the begining and had wonderful time at a local retail store (very big!), they were very friendly. I also had quite few customers saying that I shouldn't be working, my collegues stood up for me. We had few kicked out when they refused to co operate.
The only accomodations I had were fire pager, I also had a Buddy who shadowed me for first few weeks to ensure that I know what I am doing also to make sure I am happy to do the tasks, There is only one task I cannot do is shoes dept since it require one person behind the counter and I found it hard if a customer comes up and asks me something I don't understand then there is no one about.

Congrats on the job, they shouldn't dismiss you for your deafness, it would be against ADA. Be honest ask for what you NEED.

I know they won't fire me for deafness- they're a big employer of various people with disabilities, mostly mental from the local school/community. There is also a blind guy who works there who has come to be a friendly face.
Right now, since I've just started, I don't really see anything that would need to be adapted. Hearing should be good enough for fire/hopefully the intercom system. I'm wondering how the phones are going to go, but only because the hearing aids I have right now aren't T-coil compatable (I believe) nor is the FM compatable. THe next set of hearing aids/FM I've been talking about with an audi are, however, so I'm guessing I'd be taking a look at the phone :D
I'll be pretty much constantly interacting with customers, so I'm hoping all goes well.
Thanks for your advice, I appreciate it!
:ty:

It's a pleasure, any queries, I would be happy to help. I loved working in retail because there is so much talking and different people every time!!! if you know what I mean...

Perhaps have a trial with your supervisor on the phone and see how it works out for you. That way your super and you KNOW.

Did you tell your employer previous to employment about your hearing loss?

Yup, not on my resume or coverletter but I do disclose when I go for the interview.

When did your employer acknowledge it (if ever)?

At the interview they normally look confused and wonder how I can do certain things so I just explain it.

Were any accommodations made for your job? What?

I have interpreters for training days and meetings. I don't use the phone (I can't) so instead I interact through email and if that isn't an option I have a colleague make the calls.

Any problems you have run into with hearing loss/work?

Other than a few people who think I can't do things I can, nope.

Thanks both of you!
I know on my home phone I'm OK depending on who the person is (I'm generally fine with talking to my mom, my dad is hoh and speaks too quietly/can't understand me, so I just hand the phone to my mom, etc.) but as I said, hopefully the new h-aids will allow me to click in.
My mom had been to my work and was talking to the manager, and I believed she mentioned my hearing loss, though nothing in detail. He seemed surprized when I picked up the phone when he called my house! He talks very quickly, especially on the answering machine.
I'm glad you guys have had such success with your jobs! GMH :D
:ty:

Back