wore hearing aids all my life... now 21

Venus90

Reaction score
Hiya, I have always worn hearing aids, and just before i turned 21, I somehow lost one, and another was sent to the hospital for repair, still waiting on it :( and still not heard anything from them. that was in November 2011! :-O

I am considering going HA free for the rest of my life now! BUT I'm worried because my mother was the reason I got them in the first place, and i've always worn them as habit, but i've not worn any for 2 months now and i am totally used to it now.... what do you guys think? :hmm:

Hey go for it! They're your ears, and if you're happy not wearing the HAs, leave them off! :)

It's your life. What did you like about wearing them? What do you like about not wearing them? What are your communication strategies if you don't use them? What are your communication strategies if you do?

I would definitely check back in with that hospital, though. HAs are expensive, and you should at least get your aid back, and fixed, if the hospital had the aid and agreed to fix it.

Its your life but have HA fixed then put it in your home if you feel like wearing it then use it.

I wish I could get a free HA then I would wear HA everyday.

Venus90, I'm 23 year olds. was born hard of hearing and parents didn't find out til i was about 2.5 year old. than was shipped to school for total communication classes.. wasn't for the TCC I think I be screwed.

I used to wear a hearing aid in one ear (50% hearing in one ear, deaf in the other) when I was a kid and sometimes as a teenager. It did never really suit me so I wore it increasingly less. My hearing has not changed much since my teenage years so I never had to change my mind either.

Choose what you feel to be best for you.

I somehow lost one, and another was sent to the hospital for repair, still waiting on it :( and still not heard anything from them. that was in November 2011!

You really should go back to that hospital and complain. The NHS isn't usually that bad, I've worn HAs for over forty years and have never experienced any thing like that.

I live in Birmingham and when I've taken one of my HAs in for repair they usually just replace it with another one the same day, even new ear moulds only usually take a couple of weeks. Expecting you to manage without a HA for months whilst waiting for it to be repaired is ridiculous.

Is there another hospital in Newcastle that you could go to instead? If so, go and ask your GP whether you could be referred there.

It's your choice if you want to wear it or not, but you should definately enquire about your hearing aid

Back