Word out that latest Xbox update now support Closed Caption in Netflix

TechBill

Reaction score
Word out that if you update your Xbox to the latest that it will now support Closed Caption in Netflix

If anyone here have a Xbox and Netflix account, will you confirm it for us? :D

Thank you

Yes, if anyone can check, please do as this may be the determining factor on whether I finally go back and resubscribe with Netflix.

its confirmed by me i can watch captioned netflix yay! about fricking time all u do is go in audio and subtitles button and choose english cc while in video be hitting green button

its confirmed by me i can watch captioned netflix yay! about fricking time all u do is go in audio and subtitles button and choose english cc while in video be hitting green button
Can you please clarify it? CC - texts with black background or subtitles - texts with no background?

Can you please clarify it? CC - texts with black background or subtitles - texts with no background?

subtitles with no background. Today I went to the nextflix app on xbox and it requested to do an update. I let it complete and selected a movie like toy story 3. it has english with captions and works.

subtitles with no background. Today I went to the nextflix app on xbox and it requested to do an update. I let it complete and selected a movie like toy story 3. it has english with captions and works.

Ok thanks for the answer. I greatly appreciate it. CC and English subtitles are so different since to display CC requires a decoder like the ones in HDTVs and cable/sat/Tivo boxes. VWbug19 menitioned cc in his comment so that's why I was confused.

So how about new releases like "The Help" or "Friends with Benefits"? Do they have subtitles yet? If not, then it's still not worth it. I will join Netflix if ALL movies including new releases have English subtitles. When I pay with my money, I expect 100% equal access. That's just me.

Word out that if you update your Xbox to the latest that it will now support Closed Caption in Netflix

If anyone here have a Xbox and Netflix account, will you confirm it for us? :D

Thank you

If you ask about watching BD streaming video by Netflix through Xbox, there's no way to watch them with CC even through any other device because BD movies don't have CC. Only most of DVD movies have CC. What's more, CC requires a built-in decoder which is a hardware. Does Xbox have one? If not, then it doesn't make sense to update the software when it doesn't have a CC decoder.

Is that the difference between CC and subtitles?

CC has a black background vs. Subtitles are just on the screen without a background?

Besides the difference in how they look, there is a difference in the way they are processed. CCs come through a decoder; subtitles are embedded in the movie itself. Like a foreign language film, for instance, where the subtitles in English are physically a part of the movie, unlike CCs.

Although it doesn't help things that DVDs often say "Subtitled for the Hearing Impaired" but really they are using CCs.

People are teling me the Wii works with Netflix...most, but not all, things are subtitled.

Maybe this will be helpful: In the US, more than 3,500 TV episodes and movies have subtitles available, representing about 30% of viewing.

Q:
What devices can display subtitles for movies and TV shows I watch instantly?

A:
The following devices support subtitles for streaming movies and TV shows:
  • PC/Mac
  • PS3
  • Wii
  • Google TV Devices such as Logitech Revue and Sony Internet TV
  • Boxee Box by D-Link
  • iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch
If subtitles are available for a movie or TV show, you will be able to enable them on any of the above devices. Note: not all movies and TV shows have subtitles. Movies in languages other than English have English subtitles "burned in" to the content. These subtitles will appear on all devices.

Is that the difference between CC and subtitles?

CC has a black background vs. Subtitles are just on the screen without a background?
Beach girl is correct. CC is closed captions, therefore it requires a decoder to display it like the ones built in your TV and/or cable/satellite/Tivo box. Subtitles are like open captions that come with DVD/BD so you can turn it off or on through DVD/BD menu.

Some DVD movies have CC and/or subtitles. BD movies don't have CC due to HDMI but most of them have subtitles so no need to worry. However, as for streaming video by Netflix usually don't have subtitles. I believe that the company buy movies without subtitles that cost less than the ones with subtitles. Netflix has its own captioning system to add CC or subtitles to some old movies.

Hello,
I tried to post this, this morning but for some reason it did not post.

Yes, Netflix subtitles works with the Wii. I have a Wii and netflix account and tested it. It issue is only 30% on the movies on Netflix offers movies with subtitles. Below is from Netflix webpage..

In the US, more than 3,500 TV episodes and movies have subtitles available, representing about 30% of viewing.

Q:

A:
  • PC/Mac
  • PS3
  • Wii
  • Boxee Box by D-Link
If subtitles are available for a movie or TV show, you will be able to enable them on any of the above devices. Note: not all movies and TV shows have subtitles. Movies in languages other than English have English subtitles "burned in" to the content. These subtitles will appear on all devices.

Besides the difference in how they look, there is a difference in the way they are processed. CCs come through a decoder; subtitles are embedded in the movie itself. Like a foreign language film, for instance, where the subtitles in English are physically a part of the movie, unlike CCs.

Although it doesn't help things that DVDs often say "Subtitled for the Hearing Impaired" but really they are using CCs.

"Subtitled for the Hearing Impaired" option is subtitle, but with noise indicators such as phone ringing, knocking or doorbell.

In the US, more than 3,500 TV episodes and movies have subtitles available, representing about 30% of viewing.

Q:

A:
  • PC/Mac
  • PS3
  • Wii
  • Boxee Box by D-Link

Android is supported now as well.

Back