Word choice question: Talk vs Sign

eagle102938

Reaction score
I was raised Hearing, and I'm beginning to learn ASL. So there's a little question I have.

I know the signs for "speak/talk" and "sign." If I were to speak the sentence, "I will talk to him," I would say it as written. But if I were going to sign it, which sign would I use?

I suppose I could be specific, depending on whether I would be actually speaking or actually signing to "him," whoever he is. But is that situation unique to either Hearing or Speaking people? What sign would a Deaf person commonly use?

I hope my question is clear to someone, because I'm starting to confuse myself, haha.

I was raised Hearing, and I'm beginning to learn ASL. So there's a little question I have.

I know the signs for "speak/talk" and "sign." If I were to speak the sentence, "I will talk to him," I would say it as written. But if I were going to sign it, which sign would I use?

I suppose I could be specific, depending on whether I would be actually speaking or actually signing to "him," whoever he is. But is that situation unique to either Hearing or Speaking people? What sign would a Deaf person commonly use?

I hope my question is clear to someone, because I'm starting to confuse myself, haha.

There is one sign for talking verbally and the other for signing to someone.

The sign for talking verbally would be where you move the "5" handshape away from and to your lips.

The sign for signing to someone would be where you extend your arms near your waist and both hands will go through the motions of changing the handshape from a "S" to a "5" and back to "S" repeatedly.

I hope I am making this clear enough for you to understand visually. If not, I'll find a video or picture of those two signs for you.

There is one sign for talking verbally and the other for signing to someone.

The sign for talking verbally would be where you move the "5" handshape away from and to your lips.

The sign for signing to someone would be where you extend your arms near your waist and both hands will go through the motions of changing the handshape from a "S" to a "5" and back to "S" repeatedly.

I hope I am making this clear enough for you to understand visually. If not, I'll find a video or picture of those two signs for you.

Thanks, that makes sense. For the verbal sign, the "5" is palm out, right?

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

It's also fairly common in many communities to use "talk" to mean "converse" in some situations like "yeah, I'll have to talk to ____ about that and get back to you" ... In that situation I'd use "talk" regardless if I meant sign, talk, email, text etc.

Back