Woohoo moment!

Paullys50

Reaction score
So I've been "activated" with my CI for about 5 months now. Things have been progressing, but I do have a hard time with peoples speech. Mainly hearing it as the background noises seem louder than the speech I want to hear. Conversation with the Audi, but I find I do really well with direct input sounds. For my rehab I will read a book on my iPad and listen to the audio book at the same time. I comprehend 95% of the speech I hear, I do notice if I stop reading along it drops to ~75-80%.

Now that football season is upon us, I decided to stream the game to my CI. I loaded up my SiriusXM on my phone, connected it to my CI and dialed into the Packers/Seahawks game (yes I am a huge Packer fan) and much to my surprise I probably understood close to 85%! The play-by-play announcer I understood 90-95% where as the color commentator was only 60-70%. I believe this is due to the fact he has a deeper voice, deeper voices seem to be the most difficult for me. The play-by-play is most important so I was very excited.

Anyway, in trying to copy with my hearing loss this was a bright spot. It's been rough the past few weeks, but at least I feel I am getting more and more acquainted with my CI. If I can just work on the mapping so speech becomes more dominate in what I hear, I think I'll start feeling better about it all.

Oh, I also was using the Quattro bluetooh neckloop as well. Very handy!

That's such good news!! I'm getting my surgery Sept 20th. Audiobooks with iPad books is my plan too.
So nice that your CI is starting to work well for you! It makes me hopeful :)

It's hard to be patient. I'm not sure of your situation but I was of "able hearing" and suddenly lost it. So about 16 months past from the time of loss to the CI, they say the short the time frame of losing hearing to getting the CI the better the results are at adapting.

Definitely do the exercises your CI company has on the web. Med-El has some basic ones that I out-grew pretty quickly, but I go back to them every now-and-then, it's a good "base" reference. I can tell how I have improved if I go back to those "2-year old" exercises.

Who would have thought I would be back to listening to "Old MacDonald":laugh2:

It's hard to be patient. I'm not sure of your situation but I was of "able hearing" and suddenly lost it. So about 16 months past from the time of loss to the CI, they say the short the time frame of losing hearing to getting the CI the better the results are at adapting.

Definitely do the exercises your CI company has on the web. Med-El has some basic ones that I out-grew pretty quickly, but I go back to them every now-and-then, it's a good "base" reference. I can tell how I have improved if I go back to those "2-year old" exercises.

Who would have thought I would be back to listening to "Old MacDonald":laugh2:

Haha there's merit to Old MacDonald...
For me it's been almost 7 years... So I used to have hearing as a teenager - I was born with hearing.
I've already figured out my first book - "Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk" by David Sedaris (I figure a satire with simple animal words is good to start with) then after "You Better Not Cry" by Augusten Burroughs (4 weeks after my surgery is October 17th... A good timeframe to read a holiday book!!
Gotta say - I haven't missed holiday music at the malls hahaha

Now that football season is upon us, I decided to stream the game to my CI. I loaded up my SiriusXM on my phone, connected it to my CI and dialed into the Packers/Seahawks game (yes I am a huge Packer fan) and much to my surprise I probably understood close to 85%! The play-by-play announcer I understood 90-95% where as the color commentator was only 60-70%. I believe this is due to the fact he has a deeper voice, deeper voices seem to be the most difficult for me. The play-by-play is most important so I was very excited.

Sounds like you're off and running...:D I know when I upgraded my hearing aids to Widex, I was floored by the bluetooth experience and TV Dex, which sends the sounds into the hearing aids, much like bluetooth. Beyond cool...

Laura

I'm liking Angel Sounds for rehab. They have a lot of different exercises, types and difficulty. I've downloaded some free 'read aloud" children's books as well. I've found them on Nook and Kindle and play them on either my Ipad, Nook or Kindle (have my bases covered there). What I don't like about them is that they are robotic sounding themselves.

I found this website during a Google search. There are only 5 books but they are free and it's real people reading them. Storyline Online

I need to get some actual audio books with real people reading them though.

I'm liking Angel Sounds for rehab. They have a lot of different exercises, types and difficulty. I've downloaded some free 'read aloud" children's books as well. I've found them on Nook and Kindle and play them on either my Ipad, Nook or Kindle (have my bases covered there). What I don't like about them is that they are robotic sounding themselves.

I found this website during a Google search. There are only 5 books but they are free and it's real people reading them. Storyline Online

I need to get some actual audio books with real people reading them though.

Try your local library!

Just be aware that Librivox recordings are of books in the "Public Domain"

Under US law (under which LibriVox operates), public domain includes all works published before 1923. A work published after 1923 is probably not in the public domain and we probably cannot record it. If a work is published before 1923, then we can record it.

So typically the "classics" you'll find, but if you want Harry Potter or something newer it won't be there, you'll have to buy those from iTunes or something. Still a good place pending your reading habits. I used the 911 Commission Report as a starting point. That is newer but because of the nature, it falls into the "Public Domain" definition.

You don''t necessarily have to stick with your CI manufacturer's auditory rehab materials online. They're all available online for free for any CI users.
http://www.hearingjourney.com/Listening_Room/index.cfm?langid=1 (AB's Listening Room, the Clix is pretty useful and they have an app on the ipad that's similar to the Clix)
http://www.medel.com/us/soundscape/?PHPSESSID=sf0rh7v1l8ge91ur6rm8nl5ur6& MedEl's
Randall's ESL Cyber Listening Lab - For English as a Second Language
Angel Sound - Interactive Listening Rehabilitation and Functional Hearing Test Program Angel Sound Training, free to download to use on your personal computer
Telephone with Confidence | Cochlear Cochlear's free telephone practice for CI users, they also have the word list and short passage posted on the site so you can read and listen at the same time

There is also Hear Coach for ipads/iphones/etc (I think also on Kindles and Androids and such too).

Definitely several options out there for auditory rehab :)

You don''t necessarily have to stick with your CI manufacturer's auditory rehab materials online. They're all available online for free for any CI users.
http://www.hearingjourney.com/Listening_Room/index.cfm?langid=1 (AB's Listening Room, the Clix is pretty useful and they have an app on the ipad that's similar to the Clix)
http://www.medel.com/us/soundscape/?PHPSESSID=sf0rh7v1l8ge91ur6rm8nl5ur6& MedEl's
Randall's ESL Cyber Listening Lab - For English as a Second Language
Angel Sound - Interactive Listening Rehabilitation and Functional Hearing Test Program Angel Sound Training, free to download to use on your personal computer
Telephone with Confidence | Cochlear Cochlear's free telephone practice for CI users, they also have the word list and short passage posted on the site so you can read and listen at the same time

There is also Hear Coach for ipads/iphones/etc (I think also on Kindles and Androids and such too).

Definitely several options out there for auditory rehab :)

Thank you!

Back