Wondering about something...

Silentwolfdog

Reaction score
Whoo a thread from me...now that's a rare thing. :P

I got a couple of questions and I am curious of what your advices or suggestions would be.

As some of you might have already know, I have graduated recently with MA in social work. So as result of that, I have both BSW and MSW. I don't have LCSW which I am sure will limit my jobs some, but I don't want to go down that path. That is not what I desire so there's no point for me to get LCSW.

Now that I have began to look jobs, clearly I prefer to work with deaf population. However, I am not sure how to start. This is because I have never work before. Unless volunteering and internship count as one, lol.

So how do you guys start the hunt for job. I have looked online which doesn't seem to be helpful. I have started asking my friends (ya know for network). I don't really feel comfortable with VR, but I will use VR if I have to. I think VR is not going to help me with the searching, I think VR viewed it as something I have to do on my own or something.

And what do you put on resume, especially that I have no work experience to back me up.
I reckon putting in internship background would do.

And from what I have been seeing on forum over the years, most deafies agree that you don't put down that you are deaf on resume, am I correct?

Anyhow I have few more questions but it's related to interviewing and future stuff, so I will put that on hold for now and focus on the beginning instead.

I do know that at least in the state of Missouri, a few companies have been looking for MSW's and such for the deaf and HOH. Not sure where you are, but I would almost contact some of the agencies around that do mental health counseling and such. A lot of times, they can point you in the right direction. A hospital may also know where to point you as well.

In Missouri, you can contact

Family Counseling Center of MO, Inc.
Family Counseling Center of Missouri

Pathways
Pathways Community Behavioral Healthcare, Inc.

Phoenix Programs
Phoenix Programs, Inc.

It depends on where you plan to work...some places have bigger deaf communities than others, thus more job opportunities to work with the deaf population. Working in a management position at a deaf school, such as being a residental supervisor, might be an option.

I am curious...if someone doesn't have LCSW - what jobs can they do with a degree in social work? I never thought about this before. Hmm.

Yeah, unfortunately area I live in doesn't have big deaf communities. I refuse to work in deaf schools...at least in my state...too many issues. Dunno if I am comfortable with moving to other state just yet. Not until I can prove myself that I can stand on the ground firmly by myself for a while.

LCSW is a clinical social worker that works usually for mental health field, not something I want to work for.

Social work practice is in general a very broaden job.

Internships I had in the past, focused on mostly providing resources to people who need it. Sometimes, I just had to be there to listen to people and give out professional advices or tasks as needed. If I had to, I would have advocated for them but turns out my clients didn't need it. Darn, I would love to have practiced advocating for deaf people lol.
State agency I had for internship would liked having me work there but because I didn't have work experience, I didn't meet state requirements unfortunately. I guess after few years, I can try and see if I can work there again, lol.

I think I have to start at really at the very bottom, unlike many others or something.

Back