Woman worships with deaf on mission trip

Miss-Delectable

Reaction score
itemonline.com, Huntsville, TX - Woman worships with deaf on mission trip

With more wisdom flashing in her eyes than her age can account for, Sara Beth, 21, begins to recount the story of the past three months of her life.

Farris spent parts of May, June, July and August touring Eastern Europe on a mission to worship with the deaf.

“I went to four countries — Hungary, Slovakia, Czech Republic and Poland,” she said, counting them off one by one on her fingers. “I spent three months there. It was basically a summer mission.

“I don’t call it a trip, because usually on a trip you don’t live there,” she said. “I worked with deaf people. I did everything from going to deaf meetings to help translating the Bible into different sign languages to leading short mission trips.”

Farris was able to tour the world through the International Mission Board of the Southern Baptist Convention. She is a deaf education major at Stephen F. Austin University; she is set to graduate in May.

While overseas, her mission trips included shorter journeys to different countries. At one point, she spent a week in Poland.

“We tried to build relationships,” she said. “We use what’s called International Sign Language. It’s more universal signs, gestures, things that are going to be the same in every sign language. It’s very visual.

“The signs, things like sister, brother, even religion terms like faith, trust, God and heaven — those are all different and they’re different for each country. Hungary actually has seven different sign languages. You can get around in ISL.”

While in Balaton, Hungary, Farris was faced with complete cultural immersion. Being the only American and only hearing person among five deaf Hungarians forced her to sink or swim.

She swam.

“Nobody knew English. Nobody knew American Sign Language,” she said. “Everything was in Hungarian sign language. I think out of everything that happened, that was the most amazing week.

“They were brand-new Christians, less than a year, so it was kind of like a camp,” she said. “We did a lot of swimming and a lot of playing games, but every night we spent four or five hours in the word and deep Bible study. Most of it was deeper than what I’ve even gotten in America. They want to know the word and they’re so eager to dive in and ask questions. It’s just beautiful.”

While in Balaton, Farris said she and her study group were going over the Lord’s supper lesson one night when she had what she calls her, “most memorable” experience over the mission’s three month duration.

“They did the most beautiful prayer I‘ve ever seen in my life. They took the Lord’s prayer, ‘Our Father, who art in heaven. Hallowed be thy name ...’ Then each person went around and said one special name of God that meant something to them or what had been holy to them that week,” she explained. “‘Your kingdom come, your will be done...’ Then they each went around and said one thing God wanted them to do, one plan he had for them. ‘Give us this day our daily bread...’ They each went around and asked God for something they need in their lives.

“‘Forgive us our sins as we forgive those who have sinned against us...’ They each went around and asked forgiveness for their sins,” she continued. “Then we got up and you met one-on-one with each person and you asked forgiveness for specific things and things in general. It just went on and on and on. The Lord’s prayer is the model prayer Jesus gave to us, but they applied it so wonderfully. For so many of them, I saw the light bulb come on, ‘Oh, that’s what Jesus meant when he wanted us to pray this.’ Then we took the Lord’s supper and it meant all the more to me.”

Most people will never be able to pick up for three months and immerse themselves in another culture, but it’s an experience Farris encourages people to try if they ever have the opportunity.

“I would encourage anyone to do a long-term mission. Oftentimes, people go for a week, two weeks and that’s great, but when you go for a longer time, you get to see the fruits of your labor,” she said. “You get a chance to really get to know them and see where they live. You get a chance to live like them.

“This was the most meaningful experience I’ve ever had,” she added. “I had lots of support from family and church members and I’m very grateful to them for this opportunity.”

Farris said after graduation she’ll be doing student teaching before starting a career. ‘What do you want to be when you grow up’ is not a question which causes any hesitation on her part.

“A missionary,” she said firmly, “anywhere that God leads me.

“I encourage everyone to let the Lord lead you where he wants you to go,” she added. “He’ll protect you.”

Back