Woman volunteered to be deaf(or rather, HOH) for a day

deafdude1

Reaction score
Coventry Telegraph - Lifestyle - Your Life - I volunteered to find out what it was like to be deaf for a day

Even with the earplugs blocking out some hearing(stimulate a conductive loss) she still hears better than what many profoundly deaf hear aided! However the difference is those who were born deaf or became deaf early have learned to read lips(80-90% speech score that way) and plan their lives to the best of their ability. Much easier to cope than a late deafened adult who took his/her hearing for granted.

I wish everybody(hearing) could do this for a while and see how we cope!!!

Especially my mum and sister grr

I'v also noticed over here a lot of people in college are whatever are given trust test in lessons e.g get blindfolded and have to rely on a friend to manourve(spelling??) them around the room by voice but they never do "deaf tests" like stated above. I suppose it is probably because you cannot be that deaf without actually being.

I admire her for taking the time to trying to see what it is like for people with hearing loss! not many people would do that!

All nice and dandy but...

One day doesn't do justice with what the deaf go through.

For one thing, the person knows it is not permanent. Big difference in one's outlook.

About the only benefit is that one does realize that isn't as easy as it looks. Especially, if one is used to using speech to communicate.

sr171soars wrote:

All nice and dandy but...

One day doesn't do justice with what the deaf go through.

For one thing, the person knows it is not permanent. Big difference in one's outlook.

About the only benefit is that one does realize that isn't as easy as it looks. Especially, if one is used to using speech to communicate.

Exactly. All nice and dandy and we certainly appreciate her efforts to better understand what we go through. But it's nothing like a permanent severe - profound loss in both ears or a significant hearing loss like anyone else on this board.

Try a year! I hate it when people do that just for a day and then think they have a full understanding of what it is like. Yea right! :roll:

it'll be nice just to have perfect hearing for the day, just to see what it is like :giggle:

I admire her for the fact that she got a "taste" of it while she was at work.

But like others have said. You have to experience it daily to grasp, a full understanding.

Seems like she did it for a day, and was miserable. I am sure it made her sit back an think about how it would be if she had to do it everyday.

I was at a the park a few weeks ago and there were a some girl wearing blindfold while another girl help the girl walk around the park! The girl was telling the girl with the blindfold when to watch out steps etc. I thought it would be great if the girls tried being HOH for awhile too. But it was interesting to see teenager girls take the time to see what it like being blind for 20 min1

I wish everybody(hearing) could do this for a while and see how we cope!!!

Especially my mum and sister grr

I know just how you feel! When I had my bathroon done over I had a safety rod put in incase my mom wanted to vist. And she said she would get a telephone for HOH people so I could made phone calls when I visited her. So when I travel 3,000 miles to stay at my mom she never got me the phone! I was so piss off! Mom did go out and the phone finally! My mom could hear so good she just couldn't under how HOH I am! Mom did want to leave me her hearing! That was sweet of her!

it'll be nice just to have perfect hearing for the day, just to see what it is like :giggle:

I know I will not like it and I cannot imagine how much shit they have to endure

1. constant noise while sleeping - snoring, people walking around, traffic noise, crick, toilet flushing, roomie's lousy music, etc.
2. forced to listen (even when ignoring) to :blah::blah::blah:
3. shrilling noise like baby crying at public place
4. and many more to list

:cool2:

I know I will not like it and I cannot imagine how much shit they have to endure

1. constant noise while sleeping - snoring, people walking around, traffic noise, crick, toilet flushing, roomie's lousy music, etc.
4. and many more to list

Not really a big deal for them. They are used to it and have learned to tune it out when necessary. For example, listening is a decision one makes all the time. One either listens or ignores it.

I should know how that works. With my CI in the first couple of days, I remember hearing the refrigerator starting up very clearly. Now, I have to actively listen for the sound before "hearing" it again. Same with clocks that make ticking noises.

with my CI, I'm still hearing sounds, can't ingore it lol. I'm trying to think of a time or sound that I had tuned out by now.. lol

I am with Jiro. My ha's or ald is awful for me. It has to be done to work at my job. I yank them off ASAP. My brother just asked if there was a surgery that could "fix" me. I told him no, and that even if there was, I would not. Grrrr.

Go swiftly among the noise and haste and remember what peace there may be in silence..

4. and many more to list

The things that you speak of.. is the exact reason why I take my hearing aids out at times....

I think they just need to add more DAYS!

Try for one month or maybe, this! Three months!

Well, who knows? :)

Back