lela

Reaction score
would like to communicate with deaf/hoh people,for thoughts, information,

opinions ect,ect,ect

wishing to communicate

i would like to know why some parents dont learn to sign to communicate

lela said:
i would like to know why some parents dont learn to sign to communicate

Hearing parents or deaf parents? I think I can say that for hearing parents, they don't want to face the reality of the situation that their child can't hear and view being deaf or hoh as a disability (i.e. a flaw). They want a "perfect" child, whatever that is.

pek1 said:
Hearing parents or deaf parents? I think I can say that for hearing parents, they don't want to face the reality of the situation that their child can't hear and view being deaf or hoh as a disability (i.e. a flaw). They want a "perfect" child, whatever that is.

:gpost:
same here ,pek1

pek1 said:

My mom has never expressed any desire to learn sign language. Sometimes I wish she would, but other times I find her ignorance to be a blessing cuz I can communicate with other Deafies in her presence about private stuff without her knowing what I'm talking about. She hates it when I date Deaf women who aren't at all verbal because she feels left out. It's her own damn fault tho. If she were willing to learn even a little bit I'd be willing to teach her.

I have 3 girls, and two of them are HofH.
They are fluent in ASL. My audiologist clarifies
they are "hearing" because of their losses being
"corrected by aids." I learned ASL as a young child.
It had a profound affect on me. I wanted them to learn
because they are apart of the Deaf Culture. However, others
that just don't understand/or rather don't realize how important it really
is neglect educating themselves. It's sad. My Hub learns new signs daily. The littlest one she even corrects HIM if he is doing the sign WRONG. Others push for her to TALK (TALK, TALK, TALK) I say she is. By ASL. I advocate her to use TOTAL COMMUNICATION (both ASL and oral). Just because she uses ASL doesn't make her any less of a child. Yea so, the world may not learn ASL too bad, it's THEIR LOSS not hers. Because she is an incredibly intelligent and sweet child.

I think that parents need to provide all the tools necessary for communication. Oral, ASL, whatever THEY NEED. It should be based on
knowledge and what is benefitical for their child. Even if it means we have to take a few ASL classes or take an hour out of our day to research. That is what parental love is all about.

did you guys ever see the movie "bridge to silence"? your post reminded me of that movie.

SpiritOfTheWolf said:
My mom has never expressed any desire to learn sign language. Sometimes I wish she would, but other times I find her ignorance to be a blessing cuz I can communicate with other Deafies in her presence about private stuff without her knowing what I'm talking about. She hates it when I date Deaf women who aren't at all verbal because she feels left out. It's her own damn fault tho. If she were willing to learn even a little bit I'd be willing to teach her.

This is really sad, Wolf. I presume you and her didn't communicate much while growing up, which is a sad situation for the both of you. What is she going to do if you marry a deaf woman and your kids are all deaf? Just smiling when seeing a child doesn't say anything other than maybe you're a nice person. Tell her from me to get off her dead end and learn, she will absolutely love it! Which reminds me, I have to contact Rachel about increasing my own ASL. Thanks for the remind! :thumb:

SpiritOfTheWolf said:
AWWW..HAH.. YEAH I WISH SHE WOULD REALIZE HOW IMPORTANT FOR HER TO LEARN SO SHE AND YOU CAN HAVE A REAL TALK!!! IM SORRY! :hug:

Im Lucky To Have My Mom Know Sign Before I Was Born Because She Have A Deaf Friend!! Ironically!

My Dad Is Jerk.. He Refuse To Learn How To Sign Because He Think Its "bruise" His Ego.. Ugh... But Now He Realize How It Is Important For Him To Commuincate With Me. He Is Struggling To Learn Them.. As He And I Dont Really Talk To Each Other. Even I Dont Know His Childhood And I Dont Really Know Who He Is.. Hes My Dad! Im Supposed To Know Who He Is!!! Sad,eh?

I Think Out Somewhere Who Parents Refuse To Learn How To Sign.. Should Come To Deaf School And They Will Realize How Its Important For Them To Learn How To Sign.. The Reason I Said Is Because One Time My Best Friend Who Is Hearing. She Only Commuicnate Through Fingerspelling. I Always Beg Her To Learn Sign Language Not Just Fingerspelling. She Ingored My Wish.. So One Day There Was A Huge Party I Was Invited To And I Thought It Would Be Neat For My Best Friend To Come Along With Me To Get Taste Of Deaf World.. So She Came Along And Thought She Would Have Fun.... We Had A Good Time At First .. And I Notice She Was Kinda Left Out Cuz She Sat All Way In The Back Looking At People... I Came To Her And Asked Her If Shes Okay.. She Said Oh Yeah Im Fine.. So I Went Back To Other Things.. Then Next Day My Mom Came To Me In My Bedroom And Saying... Lisa Marie... Why Did U Left Kelly Out? (kelly Is My Best Friend) I Said Me? I Never Left Her Out. I Asked Her If Shes Okay And Everything She Said Shes Fine... She Even Talk To Other... Kelly And My Mom Said No.... She Actualy Felt Left Out.. I Said Well Now U Understand How I Feel When Im With You In Other Group Of Hearing And This Family. Kelly Finally Got It... She Realize How Its So Important For Her To Learn More Sign So She Can Commuincate And Understand Us Much Better.. After That She Took A Lot Of Classes And Shes Happily Cuz She Understands Us 100x Better!! That Was Pretty Impact On Her And The Best Part Is She Always Make Sure That I Do Understand Other People When They Talk. She Will Make Sure Im Not Left Out On Whatever They Say.. Sometime I Told Her To Realx. She Dont Have To Say Everything At Once! Grins

LisaMarie said:
Im Lucky To Have My Mom Know Sign Before I Was Born Because She Have A Deaf Friend!! Ironically!

My Dad Is Jerk.. He Refuse To Learn How To Sign Because He Think Its "bruise" His Ego.. Ugh... But Now He Realize How It Is Important For Him To Commuincate With Me. He Is Struggling To Learn Them.. As He And I Dont Really Talk To Each Other. Even I Dont Know His Childhood And I Dont Really Know Who He Is.. Hes My Dad! Im Supposed To Know Who He Is!!! Sad,eh?

I Think Out Somewhere Who Parents Refuse To Learn How To Sign.. Should Come To Deaf School And They Will Realize How Its Important For Them To Learn How To Sign.. The Reason I Said Is Because One Time My Best Friend Who Is Hearing. She Only Commuicnate Through Fingerspelling. I Always Beg Her To Learn Sign Language Not Just Fingerspelling. She Ingored My Wish.. So One Day There Was A Huge Party I Was Invited To And I Thought It Would Be Neat For My Best Friend To Come Along With Me To Get Taste Of Deaf World.. So She Came Along And Thought She Would Have Fun.... We Had A Good Time At First .. And I Notice She Was Kinda Left Out Cuz She Sat All Way In The Back Looking At People... I Came To Her And Asked Her If Shes Okay.. She Said Oh Yeah Im Fine.. So I Went Back To Other Things.. Then Next Day My Mom Came To Me In My Bedroom And Saying... Lisa Marie... Why Did U Left Kelly Out? (kelly Is My Best Friend) I Said Me? I Never Left Her Out. I Asked Her If Shes Okay And Everything She Said Shes Fine... She Even Talk To Other... Kelly And My Mom Said No.... She Actualy Felt Left Out.. I Said Well Now U Understand How I Feel When Im With You In Other Group Of Hearing And This Family. Kelly Finally Got It... She Realize How Its So Important For Her To Learn More Sign So She Can Commuincate And Understand Us Much Better.. After That She Took A Lot Of Classes And Shes Happily Cuz She Understands Us 100x Better!! That Was Pretty Impact On Her And The Best Part Is She Always Make Sure That I Do Understand Other People When They Talk. She Will Make Sure Im Not Left Out On Whatever They Say.. Sometime I Told Her To Realx. She Dont Have To Say Everything At Once! Grins

:gpost: Except not the part of your dad who thought his "ego" would be bruised. By the way, I'm in the Twin Cities, would like to meet other deafs/hoh, please let me know. Thanks!!

Back