what type network you prefer at home?

• wireless! I belong in future!

Votes: 15 65.2%
  • wired! I'm still caveman. argh!

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • I don't have router. tee-hee.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
If there are more deaf who know or have wireless router, then there is good high chance to able use wireless videophone in future.

Wireless won't be the future because transfer rates on wireless routers are slow. It is better to transfer large files computer to computer which is hard wired. I noticed internet is sort of slow and has slightly problems loading some web pages on a wireless router when I'm using wi-fi mode on my iMac.

I have one desktop in my home and one wireless laptop. So my finacee using desktop and I'm using laptop the most because of my online schooling. I would plan to buy my finacee a laptop someday as superise. But he more into camfrog and like to view many friends so he still like desktop for that.

Wireless won't be the future because transfer rates on wireless routers are slow. It is better to transfer large files computer to computer which is hard wired. I noticed internet is sort of slow and has slightly problems loading some web pages on a wireless router when I'm using wi-fi mode on my iMac.

I have to disagree with you. All these wireless are too fast than the current affordable high-speed internet service.

I had used WiFi and wired ethernet on both of iMac and MBP, both of them aren't much difference but wired ethernet is slightly better.

I don't have any problem with wireless Linksys router, I just updated the latest firmware and configure it so properly, except for NAT issue for media center and online gaming are directly on router, not wireless or wired.

I have to disagree with you. All these wireless are too fast than the current affordable high-speed internet
service.

I don't think you understand what im talking about anyway. ask any corporate worker about transferring large amounts of data between computer to computer, im sure they will probably tell you same thing. wired is best for that stuff.

I don't think you understand what im talking about anyway. ask any corporate worker about transferring large amounts of data between computer to computer, im sure they will probably tell you same thing. wired is best for that stuff.

file from computer to computer? yeah, wireless wouldn't be good unless it's N but it cannot go that farther as ground does.

yeah, you got it. that's what I was talking about . :)

I prefer wired.

It's more secure and I don't have any need for a laptop.

If I had a laptop, then I would get a wireless router. Other than that, I'd stick with wired for anything else such as video game consoles, etc. :)

It really depends on distance, all Internet connections depends on the distance, the farther the connections are the slower speed it becomes.

Once you study and understand the protocol of the Internet handshake, does not matter how fast your equipments are, the lowest speed connection at one point will always affect the whole connection regardless.

For example, the cable modem may handle 10MBPS network speed, and you got gigbit router meaning it can handle 1,000MBPS, yet the modem will force that router to lower the speed to 10MBPS. It is all about protocol handshake involved.

Sure you could get 54MBPS wireless router, yet you are stuck with the speed that offers from the modem.

There are two seperate factors that affects the overall speed.

First is the speed (Bytes per seconds), second is latency, both are not the same thing.

Latency happens when the packet isn't delivery properly, it can cause one of network device to "Hold" and wait for the packet to complete then deliver, that is what called latency. Wireless devices has higher latency rate because they need to filter the airwaves, too much airwaves out there that needs to filter, the more airwaves around, meaning more filtering work resulting increasing latency.

True wireless can be great if there isn't much wireless traffic around, but it can be disasterous if you live in apartment complex and everybody is using wireless, this will impact the latency and people will start notice problems appearing. Already happened to my friend who is wireless freak, he realize the problem, so again wireless has its limitation.

I have studied the protocol recently now it makes clearer sense to me.

Cable. Wired to ethernet. I thought it is fastest and secure.

True wireless can be great if there isn't much wireless traffic around, but it can be disasterous if you live in apartment complex and everybody is using wireless, this will impact the latency and people will start notice problems appearing. Already happened to my friend who is wireless freak, he realize the problem, so again wireless has its limitation.

Because your friend didn't know how to set the channel correct on 2.4 Ghz that also intercepted with cordless phone (with 2.4Ghz also). The second one problem, it can be from the router itself automatic select the channel. Have to choice one channel to stay in order by avoid he delay connect after scanning.

More CON on wired...
• Affected by moisture and other weather conditions
• Can be affected by noise generated by machinery and magnetics
• cat5 max up to 100 meters

It really depends on distance, all Internet connections depends on the distance, the farther the connections are the slower speed it becomes.

Once you study and understand the protocol of the Internet handshake, does not matter how fast your equipments are, the lowest speed connection at one point will always affect the whole connection regardless.

For example, the cable modem may handle 10MBPS network speed, and you got gigbit router meaning it can handle 1,000MBPS, yet the modem will force that router to lower the speed to 10MBPS. It is all about protocol handshake involved.

Sure you could get 54MBPS wireless router, yet you are stuck with the speed that offers from the modem.

There are two seperate factors that affects the overall speed.

First is the speed (Bytes per seconds), second is latency, both are not the same thing.

Latency happens when the packet isn't delivery properly, it can cause one of network device to "Hold" and wait for the packet to complete then deliver, that is what called latency. Wireless devices has higher latency rate because they need to filter the airwaves, too much airwaves out there that needs to filter, the more airwaves around, meaning more filtering work resulting increasing latency.

I have studied the protocol recently now it makes clearer sense to me.

I just take test on CISCO Aironet 350 Series (Wireless B). It's SEVEN YEARS old. It's little faster than Linksys WAP54G (Wireless G and three years old).

Wireless B VS Wired. Guess what?
100lw3.png

95063360oz8.png

Just little different.

Remember Wireless device is not plug n play. I heard many story like you said. I hate to tell you. You and your friend need more study for troubleshooting wireless.

No one complained about wireless CISCO Aironet 350 Series since 2001. Can you explain?

I am still in caveman age. I prefer wired as it is more secured.

I use both wire and wireless, depending on. But I use ethernet wire most of the times.

Whenever traveling to other city or state, I use 50 ft ethernet wire plugging into friend's router with my laptop.

So it's often good to have both options.

I use both wire and wireless internet for using my laptop. I have two Netgear powerline, too. If i will get new MVP, I will check how to see clear video with wireless (WiFi) or weaker signal.

Back