Wireless routers and Cochlear Implant

deafgal001

Reaction score
Does your routers make your CI give clicking sounds? I'm sitting next to my router and I hear this clicking sounds. I asked both of my son and hubby if they hear it, and they told me they don't. So I'm guessing it is an interference thing. Have any of experience the same thing?

Nope, now that you have said it, I am sitting right next to my wireless router. Can't hear a thing. Has your CI got the T setting on?

no.

but it is older processor model so that may be it. put your processor next to it and see if you hear anything.

I have a cisco linksys router (WRT400N)

Wireless routers broadcast radio signals. Maybe you could try changing the wireless channel and see if it continues?

I've no idea how CI processing works, but I imagine you are feeling the radio waves, that's the only thing possible being emitted out of it aside from the router going faulty.

How do I know what channel to change it to? I don't know anything about routers, my husband does all that stuffs...

Just tell him to pick another one, there will be a bunch of various bands to choose from in the administration panel. Generally speaking there are up to 10 channels to choose from, changing it doesn't affect anything other than signal strength and interference with other radio signals being sent in your home. Like a garage door signal, the TV (if you use an antenna), radio, etc.

What brand CI do you have?

I've had the Cochlear 3G, Sprint, and now Freedom, and I've been in bazillions of data rooms with routers, never picked up such a signal.

With my old hearing aids, I ALWAYS picked up stray frequencies.

Yeah, I would have picked it up with HA, but I have freedom CI and still cannot hear a thing.

It's SPrint

It started since I replaced the coil and wiring recently. It may be just the wrong wiring. Either that, I didn't notice it until recently. I know it is the router because when it is on , even if the computer is off, I hear it loudly as I get near it. but when router is off, I don't hear it at all.

Paranormal?? Think a show on that is on SCIFY tonight. :P

no, I don't think it won't affect your CI from Wireless router but however it could be your speech processor. I suggested that you should ask to your audiologist to replace the loader speech processor to see what sound is like near the wireless router. That's strange. I can remember my old 3G with a really weird sounds like clicking and the wireless router is in up stairs so I was in down stairs. I asked my mum if they hear the clicking sounds from my laptop and she didn't hear it. It was so annoyed. My mum contact to the audiologist to replaced the new speech processor. It wasn't from laptop and it was from my speech processor. It was faulty. You better to check it out just in case.

crap. I can't replace the processor. It's out of warranty.

Deafgal, you may have already looked into this, I can't recall, but have you contacted your CI clinic/doctor to get a statement of medical need for an upgraded processor? Our hospital provides that with each upgrade, given the improvements and benefits. With that statement, many insurance companies then cover the upgraded processor regardless of warranty (if your implant and the latest processor are compatible -- I seem to recall that yours may not yet be), just as they do initial implantation. I didn't have any special riders on my insurance beyond the standard, although what's "standard" in my state may not be in other states or countries, obviously.

What's great about this, is that your newly-upgraded processor will once again be under warranty for repairs!

I've already have. She say that SPrint is obsolete (sp?) so they don't do repairs for that anymore anyway. I can get an upgrade for it with the insurance to cover 80% of it, but I have to pay the rest out of my pocket which is not cheap.

Do you have $1000 for me?

I'll just stick with this one for the time being.

I've already have. She say that SPrint is obsolete (sp?) so they don't do repairs for that anymore anyway. I can get an upgrade for it with the insurance to cover 80% of it, but I have to pay the rest out of my pocket which is not cheap.

Do you have $1000 for me :)

:laugh2: I wish I did!! For me, too :)

80% isn't too bad, but still ... ouch. Actually, I think there may be organizations that raise money for individuals to maintain and upgrade -- and I wonder what they're doing with all those shiny 1 and 2 YO Freedoms we've been swapping for N5s. I'll look into it and see if I find anything. Maybe others here know more.

Thanks. That's ok. I still can hear with it fine. it's that darn router that is interferring it. as long as I'm away from it, I'm fine.

This is way over me, so it's something in the CI that is causing this?

They think so... if someone here can duplicate the problem using the same router I have and same processor, Let me know :)

anyway, I am saving for N5 when it come out next year (my audi told me). so that's why I am not doing anything about it right now.

Back