Wireless portable videophones are con.

Chevy57

Sherlock Hound
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wireless Videophone portable has the huge negative. I bring it up for everybody to understand the technology. First, I thought it’s great that anyone could bring videophone portable at coffee cafe, hotel or airport terminal where they have Wi-Fi spot. Unfortunately, there is problem you cannot get it work. Why?

Because almost every Wi-Fi spot are tense REQUIRED to use browser to login to activate the network. I have my experience on travel with my laptop with built-in 801.11g. I have seen many place with free or not free Wi-Fi access. So, some advertise from VRS’ that you seen, are somewhere misled.

VPAD doesn’t come with built-in wireless equipment, as you would need to buy one to plug through USB slot. It doesnt include browser but only WEP support. I put a big bet that you WILL NOT get these work on HOVRS MVP and CSDVRS’s Z device either. None is freedom communicating you wanted on videophone portable.

I guess we will have to wait until 3G’s coverage in America improves. While some of you, include me, enjoy our laptop with high speed wireless modem or use mobile phone (3G, EVDO or WiMax) as modem to plug up and able to use as videophone. So I need 801.11n usb adapter which is better and faster than 801.11g.

What is your opinion?

Eh? It should be fine when it is connected to its home network, no one wont worry about the cafe's -- they would love the MVP's LOL! No offense, people.

My 2-cents.. I am seeing more laptops are being included with built-in Webcam which would work great with Viable since they works without need of configuring port forwarding like most VRS software/hardware.

I am not that lucky, my work laptop doesnt come with built-in webcam.

Eh? It should be fine when it is connected to its home network, no one wont worry about the cafe's -- they would love the MVP's LOL! No offense, people.

Jclarke, I know that you are very interesting to get MVP.

My 2-cents.. I am seeing more laptops are being included with built-in Webcam which would work great with Viable since they works without need of configuring port forwarding like most VRS software/hardware.

I am not that lucky, my work laptop doesnt come with built-in webcam.

Good point, Some laptop have wireless 801.11n network. 801.11N is the new feature. It is still a draft format, but routers are already availiable. However, it requires 3 antenna's sticking out from your laptop or desktop, has just a farther range then G, and transfer speeds are supposedly 150 mpbs.

Why not you buying new Logitec notebook quickcam 9000?

Good point, Some laptop have wireless 801.11n network. 801.11N is the new feature. It is still a draft format, but routers are already available. However, it requires 3 antenna's sticking out from your laptop or desktop, has just a farther range then G, and transfer speeds are supposedly 150 mpbs.

Why not you buying new Logitec notebook quickcam 9000?

All of 801.11N wireless devices I have seen are backward compatible with B/G bands. B or G band is good enough for VRS unless there are many people using same channel. I have N router but not using that.

As for quickcam, I have one (not 9000) for laptop and I also have Logtech Orbit AF for my home desktop.

Dbarovian - Question: Can my VPAD access to the web broswer if I take it to wireless internet cafe, no?

Dbarovian - Question: Can my VPAD access to the web broswer if I take it to wireless internet cafe, no?

Well, VPAD does not have web browser but only WEP support. MVP has web browser.

Someone tried to use it to wifi in some college but not working with it. He needed web browser. He was not happy that he returned it back to Viable company.

You may try it to wireless internet cafe but need wifi adapter.

I already ordered the MVP, so will find out when I get it someday. I emailed the person back asking when I will receive it. He emailed me about it since I ordered one recently.

MVP supports wifi, so it should have some kind of thing to help log in.

I already ordered the MVP, so will find out when I get it someday. I emailed the person back asking when I will receive it. He emailed me about it since I ordered one recently.

MVP supports wifi, so it should have some kind of thing to help log in.

Where do I find out more detail on this MVP and ordering info?

Does that have to do with becoming "Purple VIP"? If so, I am already Purple VIP, but nothing about MVP.. Their website's Nav is somewhat confusing!!

You need to get a purple ticket from someone else :(

This FAQ question makes me laugh! This ought be interesting when cop pull over, and deafie can call VRS for interpetering what cop say!

How do I use the MVP on the road or in my car?
We do not recommend people to use the MVP while driving.

Purple ticket from who? How do I contact that person for one? Damn this is like a secret club or something..

:lol: LOL! It sounds like it is! But you could ask friends of yours who alreasy signed up for MVP, they can give you a purple ticket so you can sign up for MVP. It is a private invitation yes.

This FAQ question makes me laugh! This ought be interesting when cop pull over, and deafie can call VRS for interpetering what cop say!

LOL! :rofl:

Wireless Videophone portable has the huge negative. I bring it up for everybody to understand the technology. First, I thought it’s great that anyone could bring videophone portable at coffee cafe, hotel or airport terminal where they have Wi-Fi spot. Unfortunately, there is problem you cannot get it work. Why?

Because almost every Wi-Fi spot are tense REQUIRED to use browser to login to activate the network. I have my experience on travel with my laptop with built-in 801.11g. I have seen many place with free or not free Wi-Fi access. So, some advertise from VRS’ that you seen, are somewhere misled.

VPAD doesn’t come with built-in wireless equipment, as you would need to buy one to plug through USB slot. It doesnt include browser but only WEP support. I put a big bet that you WILL NOT get these work on HOVRS MVP and CSDVRS’s Z device either. None is freedom communicating you wanted on videophone portable.

I guess we will have to wait until 3G’s coverage in America improves. While some of you, include me, enjoy our laptop with high speed wireless modem or use mobile phone (3G, EVDO or WiMax) as modem to plug up and able to use as videophone. So I need 801.11n usb adapter which is better and faster than 801.11g.

What is your opinion?

Nice copy my blog and change.
Illustrator: Blog-alloon » Wireless Videophone Portable have a big CON. Why?

Back