wireless internet (wi-fi)

weekend

Reaction score
who have experience running on wi-fi on your computer before?

I own PowerBook G3 with airport (wireless card/LAN), I use T-Mobile's hot spots service. It running that make me in love. I really like to spend at starbucks and/or book store to stay there. It give me a new life.

Of course, I test how fast it goes, it running 1.5 MB per second!!!
It cost only $29.99 per month for unlimited.

As you are, I was relatively impressed with Starbucks and T•Mobile wireless svcs. I use laptop with AirPort card installed with OSX v10.2.6 system architecture. Web browsing experience has proven a fast, crisp and clean using Safari.

Now you guys might wonder what the heck does my nickname stands for. You could guess it. ventiCM = Venti Caramel Macchiato with extra caramel sauce on top of foamy. Yummie!

On the note of Starbucks & T•Mobile wireless svcs, please note that NOT all Starbucks stores have access to T•Mobile, though. Only selected, popular and most frequented customers by Starbucks in prime locations.

sorry for going off topic WTG For another SB user HEHEHEHEH :) and yes they are very T mobie user right now the one in hawaii ( near my home) isn t set up just yet they will be very soon! :) cuz this starbucks JUST opened so we re giving it at least 6 months but alot of compy users come here for a coffee break and doing thier homework in here as well! :)

ventiCM said:
As you are, I was relatively impressed with Starbucks and T•Mobile wireless svcs. I use laptop with AirPort card installed with OSX v10.2.6 system architecture. Web browsing experience has proven a fast, crisp and clean using Safari.

Now you guys might wonder what the heck does my nickname stands for. You could guess it. ventiCM = Venti Caramel Macchiato with extra caramel sauce on top of foamy. Yummie!

On the note of Starbucks & T•Mobile wireless svcs, please note that NOT all Starbucks stores have access to T•Mobile, though. Only selected, popular and most frequented customers by Starbucks in prime locations.

I notice that it will not allow me to send mail with my outlook. Also, censor by download any programs, I would like to test it out on my computer. Hmm... FTP still work fine.

I am not suppose to spend on this forums this weekday since I am weekend. Oops!

weekend said:
I notice that it will not allow me to send mail with my outlook. Also, censor by download any programs, I would like to test it out on my computer. Hmm... FTP still work fine.

I am not suppose to spend on this forums this weekday since I am weekend. Oops!

Say, weekend, I am not sure if I am allowed to post my e-mail address over here in this thread of forum discussion. If you wish to communicate with me as alternative option, you could send me (or others) private message or browsing this forum in your web broswer rather than using Outlook application. Within browser, this allows you to email from here. I hope this helps somewhat. :) Cheers, ventiCM

ventiCM said:
Say, weekend, I am not sure if I am allowed to post my e-mail address over here in this thread of forum discussion. If you wish to communicate with me as alternative option, you could send me (or others) private message or browsing this forum in your web broswer rather than using Outlook application. Within browser, this allows you to email from here. I hope this helps somewhat. :) Cheers, ventiCM

I use Safari instead and it allow me to download any programs. So far, I still cannot send thru smtp. Something is funny going on. Hmm...

I am not impressed with WiFi at ALL! RIT's Wally library is equipmented with WiFi and one time I used it and somebody got my password to AIM, Email account, etc and post some weird stuff on my webpage. Really freaks me out so I will NEVER use WiFi ever again until they figure a better method of privacy. All of these confidential information was received through airwaves! :madfawk:

Unless you guys know a method to prevent this from happening again... please share!

Last edited:
Tostitos said:
I am not impressed with WiFi at ALL! RIT's Wally library is equipmented with WiFi and one time I used it and somebody got my password to AIM, Email account, etc and post some weird stuff on my webpage. Really freaks me out so I will NEVER use WiFi ever again until they figure a better method of privacy. All of these confidential information was received through airwaves! :madfawk:

Unless you guys know a method to prevent this from happening again... please share!

You are use on your laptop, correct?
If so, then you have to turn off the share network and add the password for an author to get in your HDD.

weekend said:
You are use on your laptop, correct?
If so, then you have to turn off the share network and add the password for an author to get in your HDD.

The person got all of the information via airwaves, not through HDD. Read again carefully.

Tostitos said:
The person got all of the information via airwaves, not through HDD. Read again carefully.

Or you need firewall.

I don't have problem with wi-fi so far... I suppose t-mobile hotspot is good as it get...and I am glad that I am use Apple computer which is good secure... I dare anyone to hack my laptop...

weekend said:
Or you need firewall.

I don't have problem with wi-fi so far... I suppose t-mobile hotspot is good as it get...and I am glad that I am use Apple computer which is good secure... I dare anyone to hack my laptop...

Hey weekend, firewall prevent people from entering your laptop, but not whats going back and forth in the air. The airspace is free for everybody usage. For example, if I type in "Hello weekend!" on AIM... the information is being transmitted through the air and other workstation/laptop can tap into that kind of information easily via WiFi. WiFi is NOT secure at all, that is main issue with wireless right now.

Oh yeah, ever heard that the electronic store, Best Buy, had to suspend their wireless cash register machine because somebody in the parking lot has been collecting credit card information through the airwave. That happened few years ago. So wireless is a NO NO for me unless they figure a way to encrypt/encapsulate information when they are transmitted through WiFi.

Edit: Found an article for Best Buy's wireless register machine.
http://www.msnbc.com/news/746380.asp

and another article related to security risk via wireless and Best Buy is mentioned.
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2002/05/03/wireless-insecurity.htm

and a quote from the article from USAToday...
USAToday said:
In the corporate setting, he said, someone with a laptop, a wireless card and software known as packet sniffers could potentially get passwords and confidential documents sent via e-mail.

The quote above is EXACTLY what happened to me when I was in RIT's library.

WIRELESS = :nono:

Last edited:
Sorry, I wasn't think straigh...

Ah, I just remember about this incident about Best Buys.

Well, it's probably the best thing if you go to some place where there are no bunch of geek with laptop.

Therefore, you could be narrow safe enough.

I mean, I have been at starbucks coffee with full of women and business people. I hardly seen anyone use laptop expect, mostly are use PDA or mobile device.

You have to keep peek on everybody before you log something.

Encrypted packets containing vital information that transmit through the air may do the trick, so people that try to listen in may not understand it.

However, this has not been invented yet, probably for a good reason: it would be a pain to have it installed into every computer/laptop that uses Wi-Fi Wireless to make it effective. I believe the Wi-Fi Transmitter itself may need to be upgraded from simple air waves to more sophisticated ones that are hard to crack. They could be upgraded with different encrypting algorithms everyday, thus making it impossible to crack for the would-be cracker.

sidekicks

:fly2: hi my name is lisa flynn and my friend need to know about the sidekicks so an u email to suzisons@yahoo.com so she and i are deaf and need one so badly ok thanks for the email to me and also my friend suzi adams ok thanks

Last edited:
how Wi-Fi works? how to hook up the mobile to laptop for wireless? I want to learning how to use it for travel.

Tostitos said:
Hey weekend, firewall prevent people from entering your laptop, but not whats going back and forth in the air. The airspace is free for everybody usage. For example, if I type in "Hello weekend!" on AIM... the information is being transmitted through the air and other workstation/laptop can tap into that kind of information easily via WiFi. WiFi is NOT secure at all, that is main issue with wireless right now.

Oh yeah, ever heard that the electronic store, Best Buy, had to suspend their wireless cash register machine because somebody in the parking lot has been collecting credit card information through the airwave. That happened few years ago. So wireless is a NO NO for me unless they figure a way to encrypt/encapsulate information when they are transmitted through WiFi.

Edit: Found an article for Best Buy's wireless register machine.
http://www.msnbc.com/news/746380.asp

and another article related to security risk via wireless and Best Buy is mentioned.
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2002/05/03/wireless-insecurity.htm

and a quote from the article from USAToday...

The quote above is EXACTLY what happened to me when I was in RIT's library.

WIRELESS = :nono:

Yep, I saw on website about wardriver they used to snatching a password and steal a CC info. I noticed the computer swamp meet uses wireless credit card vertification to purchase of products. If I see the wireless CC vertification at the stores, I won't buy a products, I prefer use a CC with phone line or wired to network system that's why too many wardrivers out in parking lots..

How do you tell if there is a wireless at the register? I think I agree with DBPowerWCRule's suggestion. Oh boy that's something new to me.

webexplorer said:
How do you tell if there is a wireless at the register? I think I agree with DBPowerWCRule's suggestion. Oh boy that's something new to me.

The small CC verification machine with a antenna attached next to the register machine or nearest a ceiling/wall antennas. if you noticed it, don't order or buy a products, go to ATM to get a cash out then come back to the store and buy it.

for safer to order or buy a product: if you see not have a wireless CC verification machine with a antenna attached, then it's right build-in register machine or networked/phone line CC verification machine.

I went to McDonald's and they have a networked CC verification machine for customer entering key pad to purchase it.

Last edited:
Back