Winter Tire thread

Wirelessly posted (Samsung Epix (i907))

I checked and yes its legal from Nov 1 to April 1, but the issue is I don't have storage space for those tires, etc. I will stick with a good all season tires purchase this fall.

On the other note, they should invest heated road technology. Its already done in some areas of the US and Canada, but they are expensive.

you would be surprised on finding storage. :)

Well, I can say without hesitation that it does make a difference in braking during wintertime. When I switched tires for the season, the difference was significant in how it handled the snow.

Regarding the all-season tires... three-season tires is more like it. All-season tires are designed for wet and dry driving, not snow.

Have you see "M+S" on the wall of the tire? M+S is stand for mud and snow.
My old Astro van in southern calif, use Cooper tires.... all season with M+S.

I'm wondering where is the best place to order all season tires at a reasonable price. I'm trying to limit to around $300 total with labor charges, but doubt that. I found a good set that have good reviews in winter driving which cost total of $300 with warranty which doesn't include bringing it to the shop to mount and balance them which cost at least $50 for 4 tires. I've tried discounttires.com and tirerack.com.

Umm I dont know but one thing is you still pay waste fee (part of hazard fee) and valve stems when your tires are mounting and balancing. Why dont you take ur car to the tire shop. Is $300 include shipping charge? I used to order new tires for my personal vehicles at my work, pay no taxes on these tires but the each tire sold, alway included taxes. I mounted/balanced myself, save about $75. If my service writer sell tires to customers for 4 tires, he/she would profit
about $150 to $250 depend on brand tires.

I've used studded tires on 1977 toyota corolla back in 1980's. I did not change the tire, I just use it year round and after It wears out, I replaced with good regular tires. I like studded on black pavement and floored the pedal and you can see sparks flying from rear tires :rofl: I was crazy back then.. Right now, Studded tires are illegal in Kansas.

Catty

Try CraigsList for a set of studded snow tires. I see them on there all the time.

I use these tires all year, excellent in anything. Only paid $415.00 shipped to my door.

bfgtires.jpg

Hey, wanted to start a thread all about winter tires with pros and cons.

I researched with comparsion of winter tires and all season tires on a BMW which is a RWD car, it does make a difference with traction in acceleration, braking and cornering.

I'm curious, is it okay to drive winter tires all year? Is it safe as a all season tire during the summer months? It's not cheap to have a set of all season for summer and a set of winter tires for the winter time. :( I'm thinking of buying winter tires in the fall and let it break in for a few hundred miles before the real winter comes.

I have done it. As long your snow tires doesnt have studs, you can drive all year but you won't like it. When your snow tires are new with lots treads left, in the 85-100 degree heat on hot pavement the car will feel squirelly. I don't like it. When tire treads gets low, the tire acts like the nascar tires as it heats up and sticks to the road, but will feel out of round. You are better off getting the tires switched in spring and fall at your local garage from winter to all season tires.

Having snow tires really depends on the driver and how well car handles all season in snow. getting winter tires in fall is fine since the temps is cool.

Well...here's my review with my car using all season tires with m+s feature during the winter time. The traction is good...not excellent. The only skill is you that can handle the car properly and you will be fine. I drove thru about 6" of snow and didn't get stuck at all. Most tire's enemy is ice, of course. You would have to spend an arm and leg to get tires that can get traction on ice...probably best with studs on it.

I drive lots of rental cars (my job) with different tires...none use snow tires because it's not cost efficent for the rental fleet. I have no problem with that.

its not the snow u gotta worry about, its the ice. Nothing beats a good AWD or 4x4 with studded snow tires. they will grip on ice where as winter tires or (studless tires) don't even come close'

its not the snow u gotta worry about, its the ice. Nothing beats a good AWD or 4x4 with studded snow tires. they will grip on ice where as winter tires or (studless tires) don't even come close'

Yeah, the ice can be pretty nasty. People don't realize that all-season tires are not suitable for the winter. The all-season tires are designed for dry and wet seasons, not snow nor ice.

There is a significant difference between the all-season and winter tires when it comes to the traction.

Wirelessly posted (Samsung Captivate (i897))

Banjo said:

Yeah, the ice can be pretty nasty. People don't realize that all-season tires are not suitable for the winter. The all-season tires are designed for dry and wet seasons, not snow nor ice.

There is a significant difference between the all-season and winter tires when it comes to the traction.

There are all seasons with mud and snow feature. I have no issue driving in snow with them.

There are all seasons with mud and snow feature. I have no issue driving in snow with them.

Still not as good as the winter tires. Mud and snow feature is only for the treading, not the tire performance.You see, winter tires are designed to have a better grip and control on the road when it's cold. All-season tires lose elasticity as the temperature goes down. This is important if you live in an area where it's regularly below 45ºF during the winter season.

I just love how they put these "labels" on the tires to make them more appealing to the consumers. People really fall for these all of the times.

I live in Canada where I have to drive in poor conditions on many occasions, I have driven with several types of tires. Winter tires beat them all. Hands down.

Here's a link for you...

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/ResearchCentre/WinterFunctionalTires.jsp

I know that, Banjo. I just have no issues driving in snow, thats all. I have driven different rental cars thousand of times cuz its my job to go around in any weather. Icey roads arent common this winter, though. Snow tires are not cost effective to me.

I know that, Banjo. I just have no issues driving in snow, thats all. I have driven different rental cars thousand of times cuz its my job to go around in any weather. Icey roads arent common this winter, though. Snow tires are not cost effective to me.

It's not just the ice, but it's also the temperature. The colder it gets, the more elasticity it loses. People can believe what they want to, but the fact is, winter tires are safer to drive with. It just is.

Banjo said:

It's not just the ice, but it's also the temperature. The colder it gets, the more elasticity it loses. People can believe what they want to, but the fact is, winter tires are safer to drive with. It just is.

Yes, winter tires are safer to use but not cost effective for rental car fleets and even owning them. Many people who dont make much money cant afford 2 sets tires. I cant afford it. The bus service here sucks, so how would people get around town, huh?

I have been using two sets of tires for the longest time ever. But with one of my jeeps I stuck with the bfgoodrich all terrain ta ko the whole year. So far I will need to replace it after 25,000 miles which is pretty good imho. Drove it in snow like a breeze, go offroading with it, etc. Im pretty rough on my tires.

But if you wanted some good stuff... I'd vouch for the blizzaks. Had that on my Audi and it rocked.

For Iowa and it's ice... I'd get a cheap set of studded tires. If you're in the know, you can find tire dealerships that will let you have a decent set of barely used studs for 150 dollars or less.

:) okay.

My last set of studded tires was $117 installed with all the goods, including alignments.

Even if it is only for a season, its well worth it. I had mine for 3 years.

Yep......

Yes, winter tires are safer to use but not cost effective for rental car fleets and even owning them. Many people who dont make much money cant afford 2 sets tires. I cant afford it. The bus service here sucks, so how would people get around town, huh?

Bikes. Hee.

Banjo said:

Bikes. Hee.

Too cold to ride outside, bicycling in winter are a rare sight here. You dont wanna ride bikes in subzero temps, LOL.

Too cold to ride outside, bicycling in winter are a rare sight here. You dont wanna ride bikes in subzero temps, LOL.

I know I wouldn't. :lol:

Although I can see why you would think it's not cost effective. If you cannot get a good deal on them, then you just have to take extra care while you drive.

Banjo said:

I know I wouldn't. :lol:

Although I can see why you would think it's not cost effective. If you cannot get a good deal on them, then you just have to take extra care while you drive.

Yeah, thats why I think its not cost effective, but that just me. I drive slow when its bad out there. Sometimes they drive fasrer than me but end up in the ditch, LOL.

Back