Winnipeg family faces $200K bill to send deaf son to U.S. university

rockin'robin

Reaction score
Manitoba family appeals to province to help fund deaf students to go to only deaf university in world

A Manitoba family is calling on the provincial government to better fund schooling for deaf students after they incurred thousands of dollars of debt for just one year of university for their son.

Last year, 18-year-old Cody Zimmer left his home in Winnipeg to attend Gallaudet University in Washington D.C., the world's only university exclusively for deaf students.

"My vision of what it might be like was completely obliterated — it was so much more than what I expected," said Cody. "I made so many friends so quickly. I was involved in sports and soccer. It was just such a quick year because it was so exciting. It felt like a blink and it was done."

But his education came with a hefty price tag. One year of undergraduate study cost his family $56,000 (including tuition, dorm fees and health insurance.)

And financial assistance was limited; Cody's application and appeal to have the full cost covered were denied by the province. Instead, he got about $10,000.

They would support him in going [to Gallaudet], however, they'll only pay at the level of what tuition would be at the University of Manitoba," said Rick Zimmer, Cody's father.

The province used to fund the cost of deaf students attending Gallaudet completely, but they've since reduced the amount of money students can apply for and instead encourage them to go to a Manitoba school and use interpreters.

Officials with the Manitoba government said the province runs a $1.9-million-a-year program called marketAbilities, "that provides the same amount of funding to a student pursuing training out of province as would be available to the student if they chose to study in Manitoba. Courses that have no equivalent in Manitoba may be fully funded."

Officials said their policies apply to all people with disabilities, including those who are deaf or hard of hearing.

(Read more)....

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...-to-send-deaf-son-to-u-s-university-1.3101265

It's too bad students can't work at the college to help pay off the fee.
When I went to a boarding school in ME some students parents could not afford to pay the full fee so their kids worked in the kitchen waiting on tables and cleaning up the dorm . This was the only way the kids could go to school there.

Wow... I was about to say times have changed-- I knew a few Canadians who went to Gallaudet- I know that for one her tuition was paid for fully (She was from Ontario).

Students can work at Gallaudet to earn money to put towards fees/tuition but not for in exchange for fees/tuition; I can't recall if international or Canadian students could work or not- at least back 20-30 years ago...

Getting expensive: professor and staffs ask for more money. That's normal.

Wow... and here where I live in Canada.. I'm only to be paying for 5,000 CAD for one year of schooling without living cost fees (as it doesn't have any dorms). o.O

Was told about that university but never looked at it... but sounds so expensive for a international student. :S

The problem is Gallaudet is Federal funded college, they have rules to follow, Gallaudet university are NOT permitted use federal funds for foreign student, Canadian is considered foreign and must charge at full tuition. Same with hearing people, like at RIT (Rochester Institution of Technology), if you look at tuition fees for those who are from NY, and fees for outside NYers, even have separate fees for International students, they are very expensive so it is not just Deaf, it is political really. And I think it is fair after all.

Community college, same thing.

The problem is Gallaudet is Federal funded college, they have rules to follow, Gallaudet university are NOT permitted use federal funds for foreign student, Canadian is considered foreign and must charge at full tuition. Same with hearing people, like at RIT (Rochester Institution of Technology), if you look at tuition fees for those who are from NY, and fees for outside NYers, even have separate fees for International students, they are very expensive so it is not just Deaf, it is political really. And I think it is fair after all.

Community college, same thing.

I don't think the issue (in this situation) is with Galludet or U.S. policies, it's that Canada has reduced the aid students can apply for so that they just go to school in Manitoba with interpreters.

I've known students (domestic and foreign) that have worked for schools to offset the costs but they don't earn very much.

Back