Windshield Wipers Settings?

VamPyroX

bloody phreak from hell
Reaction score
What kind of windshield wipers settings do you have?

Every vehicle I've driven has had pretty much the same settings...

OFF > ON (with speed settings) > NORMAL > FAST

OFF: It's off. Enough said.

ON (with speed settings): You adjust the speed settings. The wipe speed is the same, but with long/short durations between wipes. The higher the setting, the shorter the duration.

NORMAL: The wipe speed is the same as usual, but with no duration in between.

FAST: The wipe speed is faster and no duration in between.

However, my current vehicle is different. All the settings are the same... with the exception of ON (with speed settings)... which changes based on the current speed of my car. The faster I drive, the shorter the duration between wipes get. The duration times get shorter when I reach 20 MPH, 35 MPH, and 50 MPH. Everyone I ask knows nothing about this. So, I'm wondering if anyone else has this or is it just my vehicle that does it. (I drive a 2007 Chevy Cobalt.)

Maybe it's using sensors to set the pace. Our Jeep Commander has the usual settings or it can be set to automatic. The automatic setting senses the moisture amount on the windshield and times itself accordingly. I'm guessing that the speed you're driving might be affecting the amount of moisture that the sensor is picking up. :dunno:

Maybe it's using sensors to set the pace. Our Jeep Commander has the usual settings or it can be set to automatic. The automatic setting senses the moisture amount on the windshield and times itself accordingly. I'm guessing that the speed you're driving might be affecting the amount of moisture that the sensor is picking up. :dunno:
Oh, I already know how my wipers work. I was just wondering if anyone had something like mine or something else unlike what I experienced. I already figured out a long time ago how mine work. It was my wife that noticed it and thought something was wrong with the wiring as they wipers were going faster than she expected (I once thought it was the wiring two until I timed the duration in my head along with the speed changes). Mine isn't using moisture sensors, but speed settings. It goes faster right at the speed changes exactly on 20 MPH, 35 MPH, and 50 MPH.

I'm not familiar with..... Because many customers come in for change wiper blades and fill washer fluids. We in SoCal, have very little rain days in years.. Maybe I look up the tech repair info. If come up to match ur complaint, let u know...

Your car is fine nothing wrong with weird wiper operation. Yeah you are right about the vehicle speed what you mentioned. I look up Alldata, reading "Wiper/Washer System Description And Operation" in article... Found one called "Vehicle Speed Sensitive Wipers", states:
When the wipers are placed in any of the INT positions, the BCM will decrease the wiper delay as vehicle speed increases in order to keep windshield visibility clear. The BCM receives vehicle speed via class 2 from the ECM.
Is it sound like what you mentioned in op? Interesting to me. I learn something new to me.
BCM=Body Control Module is for controlling interior like lights, power window/seat/minor/sunroof, radio etc.
ECM=Engine Control Module is for engine sensors like VSS, TPS, MAF,Crank/Cam etc where the ECM send reference voltages to sensors and read output voltage then ECM can calculate to sending feed backs to other modules and actuators etc..

yep, same name as "Moisture Sensitive Wipers". High technology wiper systems make me nut. I'm glad that the customers never come in for hi tech wiper operation problems due to few rain days in years. Thk god

Your car is fine nothing wrong with weird wiper operation. Yeah you are right about the vehicle speed what you mentioned. I look up Alldata, reading "Wiper/Washer System Description And Operation" in article... Found one called "Vehicle Speed Sensitive Wipers", states:
When the wipers are placed in any of the INT positions, the BCM will decrease the wiper delay as vehicle speed increases in order to keep windshield visibility clear. The BCM receives vehicle speed via class 2 from the ECM.
Is it sound like what you mentioned in op? Interesting to me. I learn something new to me.
BCM=Body Control Module is for controlling interior like lights, power window/seat/minor/sunroof, radio etc.
ECM=Engine Control Module is for engine sensors like VSS, TPS, MAF,Crank/Cam etc where the ECM send reference voltages to sensors and read output voltage then ECM can calculate to sending feed backs to other modules and actuators etc..

That reminds me of pneumatic powered wiper in 50's and 60's cars and truck. My friend had 1966 AMC Rambler convertible. Wiper will wipe slowly while engine is idled. If he accelerates, wiper speeds up.

Catty

I ever wonder will Auto Maker develop "Automatic Bird Poop wiper" sensor :rofl:

Catty

That reminds me of pneumatic powered wiper in 50's and 60's cars and truck. My friend had 1966 AMC Rambler convertible. Wiper will wipe slowly while engine is idled. If he accelerates, wiper speeds up.

Catty
I remember that. That had to do with the wipers operating off the vacuum system.

Catty

I don't know about the pneumatic powered wiper motors. I know about the vacuum operated wiper motors in 50's. You says " Wiper will wipe slowly while engine idled", is it for pneumatic powered wiper motor?

I remember that. That had to do with the wipers operating off the vacuum system.

Terrible vac operated wiper motors. I recently upgrade an electric wiper motor assy to replace an agile vac operated wiper motor assy in a 1954 Chevy 210 sedan for a customer at my work. Wiper works great as Rolls Royce.

Back