Windows 7 Media Center is no longer CC for DVD

I am very happy with my 5 years old Mini Mac with Snow Leopard thru HDMI and CC is still perfect!
mac_mini.jpg

I really don't understand why you didn't buy a Blu-Ray player that includes a composite video output. That would solve your problem.

A TV tuner card is used to watch TV broadcasts on PC. WMC has a capability to record them as a DVR (TV tuner card required). TV tuner cards are not specifically designed for watching DVDs. Google it up.

Well, composite out does not have as good resolution as HDMI. Composite has 480 lines or less. HDMI has 1080 lines. It's not right to force deaf people to downgrade video quality to watch CC.

Anway, I found this link and it's not good news for us with Windows 7 Media Center Edition:

W7-RC Media Center's DVD and Closed Captioning

It appears that Microsoft ripped out CC for DVD movies in Media Center Edition.

Peter

Well, composite out does not have as good resolution as HDMI. Composite has 480 lines or less. HDMI has 1080 lines. It's not right to force deaf people to downgrade video quality to watch CC.

Anway, I found this link and it's not good news for us with Windows 7 Media Center Edition:

W7-RC Media Center's DVD and Closed Captioning

It appears that Microsoft ripped out CC for DVD movies in Media Center Edition.

Peter

Why not you contact MS for requesting CC like old Vista Media Center?

rhr,

It looks like you need to contact Microsoft about this.

In Cyberlink PowerDVD, I believe you can select "reverse" video CC. It may show black background, but I am not sure. I have DVD movies and will try them out tonight.

Peter

Peter

Regular DVDs are 480i (480p via component video or HDMI). Blu-Ray Discs (BD) are 1080p. HDMI can carry 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p. Today TVs and BD players include a built-in upconverter but of course, it will not improve the 480i quality since it's a standard definition (SD = non-HD).

SD DVDs don't look hot like BD on PC, either.

CrazyPaul,

You are correct about the DVD specification. CC should work with any DVD or Blu-ray players with composite out to composite in of TV. This is a good suggestion. The only major drawback with this is I believe composite may not support wide screen (16:9) and it will appear as "letterbox" with old-style standard TV aspect ratio of 4:3. Many DVD movies support wide screen formats.

RHR,

If you don't mind not having wide screen support and if you already have a Blu-ray player, then try connecting composite cable (Yellow connector) from Blu-ray player to TV. Set TV input to composite and enable CC in your TV.

Also, I tested DVD movies in my Windows 7 Media Center Edition PC and like everyone said, CC is not supported.

If you want wide screen and CC, then Cyberlink PowerDVD is your next best setup even though it does not have solid background and costs money.

I am sorry about this.

Peter

No... XP and 7 are Faster than Vista slow,

I got idea Vista's eHome folder copy to 7, no work GRRR!!

Wow... Ok, I got your point... In my opinion, W7 sucks! Vista kickass for you. Do you want reinstall new Vista OS again? I have no choice for discussion here. let my case rest and peace.

Hi Chevy57!

No... Media Player 12 work CC, I mean I don't need keyboard and mouse, I live in living room and relex.. I had MS remote control to Media Center DVD with CC but 7MC is no longer CC for 7MC but Media Player still keep CC but Media Player is small CC

Dear rhr

Do you want downgrade the Windows Media Player 12 to WMP 11 on W7?

You may downgrade WMP12 to WMP 11. See info:

How To Uninstall Windows Media Player 12 on Windows 7?

You may try it. :)

please talk me at http://www.alldeaf.com/captioning-s...ter/94578-i-look-blu-ray-player-built-cc.html

they are no idea, not work DVD with CC on Blu-Ray, please go link it

Please not talk about DVR and TV Tuner, I know already CC work it, no problem but it is very big probelm for DVD with CC

I really don't understand why you didn't buy a Blu-Ray player that includes a composite video output. That would solve your problem.

A TV tuner card is used to watch TV broadcasts on PC. WMC has a capability to record them as a DVR (TV tuner card required). TV tuner cards are not specifically designed for watching DVDs. Google it up.

becuase vista is very slow for boot, update, loading, long wait wait wait... lousy it, XP and 7 are faster! better!!

Why not you contact MS for requesting CC like old Vista Media Center?

I had powerdvd trail... reverse won't black background, I saw top screen funny!!swtich "normal back bottom, then again reverse back top..

WinDVD is fine it is clear black background but
both powerdvde and windvd are small size !! I like Sony HDTV is big size 1 inch than 3/4, I move near hdtv, I got headache!!! I quit both winDVD and powerDVD

rhr,

It looks like you need to contact Microsoft about this.

In Cyberlink PowerDVD, I believe you can select "reverse" video CC. It may show black background, but I am not sure. I have DVD movies and will try them out tonight.

Peter

CrazyPaul,

The only major drawback with this is I believe composite may not support wide screen (16:9) and it will appear as "letterbox" with old-style standard TV aspect ratio of 4:3. Many DVD movies support wide screen formats.

Peter

With any type of the connection being used, it can display a widescreen format on HDTVs, I believe.

Understand that when a DVD contains a letterbox format only, that's what it will show on both SDTV and HDTV no matter what type of cable is connected.

Last edited:
please talk me at http://www.alldeaf.com/captioning-s...ter/94578-i-look-blu-ray-player-built-cc.html

they are no idea, not work DVD with CC on Blu-Ray, please go link it

Please not talk about DVR and TV Tuner, I know already CC work it, no problem but it is very big probelm for DVD with CC

Ok, first of all, can you afford a new BD player?

If so, then get one and if you don't like it, you can return it for a refund like I said before. Very simple. It is hard to find a BD player that includes a built-in CC decoder so forget it and buy one with a composite video output instead.

If you can't afford it, try to borrow one from your family or friend and test it by turning CC on in your TV. If it works, then ask your parents or lover for a new one for your birthday/Xmas or you can buy an affordable used player through Craiglist, eBay or classified ads in local newspapers.

A composite video can carry "invisible" CC unlike HDMI so it should be no problem with watching your old DVDs with CC thay way. However the video quality (480i signal) will not be much improved, even though your HDTV upconverts it to 1080p. I hope you understand what I said.

It's up to you. Again, good luck!

Edited: I forgot to add one more thing. If you want a BD player because you plan to watch BD movies as well, don't forget that BD movies no longer show CC, only subtitles if available. There's nothing you can do about it but if you still hate subtitles, then don't buy a BD player and get a DVD player (if you don't have one) instead to watch DVDs only since they usually have CC.

Last edited:
THANK VacationGuy234 !!

GOSH!! I had VideoLan (VLC) about 5 year ago, I did not see CC and Subtitle, last night you said CC, I say what?... I check oh god!! many funcation CC & Subtitle, I check oh GREAT!!! than Media Player, Media Center (xp, vista, 7), powerdvd and wintv are lousy CC only one font, only one size, only one soild background but VLC is many fonts from TTF format, size small ti BIGGEST for support low-vison read it than powerdvd, windfvd, meda player, media center... I am very HAPPY VLC work "BOTTOM" end of screen but media cneter, media player, windvd, and powerdvd are probelm not work bottom screeen only between middle and bottom, they not have end of bottom... I am glad VLC

But I need VLC support Media Center Addon? but I resrech only XP, don't have vista and 7

I won't buy PowerDVD or WinDVD, I am GLAD!!

also my old DVD Player will throw!
I have Stargate SG-1 full series, they are 720p, greate!!! VLC!! I wish Media Center with VLC

I tired VLC don't have save deafult "CC"

If you are going to buy a drive, I'd first look into whether your computer video card can do HD then get a Blue Ray Burner. For that kind of money, it is worth it to get the HD drive.

Having said that, if you just want to change the software you can look into Video Lan Software which is free:

How to Get Closed Captioning on a VLC | eHow.com

why don't you try another??

why don't you try totalmedia?? I have used it for 2 years since i changed Windows XP to Windows 7, it integrates with 7MC soooooo well, and the background is absolutely solid. when i bought, the price is just $69.99, lower than powerdvd. And I think it's also better than windvd. you can try it, then make a desicion.:laugh2:

I just got windows 7, but I don't have a DVD player hooked up to it to verify.

I suggest you try to use VideoLan instead, it's free open source. You can do a lot more with that software as well.

Back