Windows 7 Media Center is no longer CC for DVD

I see your picture, I use adjust to picture, oh it is subtitle, not Closed Caption but I need soild black background

Did you install your own TV tuner card in desktop PC for Digital TV?... Have you try it if might work with DVDs with CC black background?
tv-subtitles-02-650x392.png

tuner-card.png
For Desktop PC model.

Windows Media Center – TV Tuner | Hardware | Windows Tools, Help & Guides

That's interesting. I wonder if having digital HD tuner in computer will help to include CC with black background for DVD movies.

I have HD HomeRun which is an external tuner for Over the Air (OTA) antenna. It has dual tuners built-in and I can record two digital or HD TV programs at the same time. CC works great and it has black background.

Anyway, if you don't have a digital tuner in your PC, then it may be the reason for not seeing CC with black background. Adding digital tuner will cost money but you get the advantage of watching and recording HD TV programs with CC with black background.

It looks like I won't get sample DVD movies tonight for me to test my PC. I should get them tomorrow and let you know if I can see CC with black background.

Link to HD HomeRun dual tuner: Welcome to SiliconDust

Peter

*Test again* with Windows Media Player... Well, just CC with Transparent background.

CC3.jpg

CC4.jpg

I was thinking that I find it hard to believe that they would remove CC from windows 7. Something else must be wrong..

Is there any place you can mess with the settings of the captions and change the translucent background to a solid one?

Hi rhr,

I found out how you can set CC to solid black background win Windows 7 Media Center Edition:

1) Go to "Settings"
2) Click on "TV"
3) Click on "Closed Captioning"
4) Click on "Use My Custom Settings"
5) Scroll down to "Window Opacity"
6) Click on "+" until you see "Solid"
7) Save the settings.

Give it a try.

Peter

Hi rhr,

I found out how you can set CC to solid black background win Windows 7 Media Center Edition:

1) Go to "Settings"
2) Click on "TV"
7) Save the settings.

Give it a try.

Peter

lol, that for TV only. Did you try it for DVD? I tested it But, it's yellow fonts and no solid black background

CC-yellow.jpg

No, I have not yet tested with DVD disks. I was hoping the settings I suggested applies to DVD movies as well as TV programs. I will get DVD movies tomorrow and hopefully find a solution.

Your sample image look like sub-titles style CC.

Peter

Peter

That's image is not CC. It's from "Iron Man" DVD's menu as subtitle setting like english, spainish, french, etc. (yellow font and no solid background)

DVD2.jpg

Windows Media Center 7 setting CC with solid black background for TV only with TV tuner card. It won't work with DVD as no solid black background. You have to download a third party software.

OK, I kind of figured that. That's pretty disappointing of Microsoft. I wonder if Microsoft has a plug-in to display traditional CC with solid background to work with DVD movies like they did in Windows Vista and Windows 2005 MCE.

I have Cyberlink PowerDVD software that displays CC but the lettering is white, ugly and no solid background. Personally I prefer sub-titles but that does not give Microsoft the right to remove CC feature for DVD movies.

Peter

yeah you are right

VMC had both TV tuner and DVD
7MC only tuner TV had CC and M$ remove CC on DVD and put subtitle, why???? M$ is suck!

I was thinking that I find it hard to believe that they would remove CC from windows 7. Something else must be wrong..

EVO,

I know 7MC had CC on tuner TV BUT NO LONGER CC FOR DVD , M$ remove it and put "subtitle" on Media Center, you look

Task -> Setting -> TV -> "CLOSED CAPTION"
but
Task -> Setting -> DVD -> "SUBTITLE"

that why vista show
Task -> Setting -> DVD -> "CLOSED CAPTION"

that why M$ replace CC to subtitle

I have TV tuner card too

Did you install your own TV tuner card in desktop PC for Digital TV?... Have you try it if might work with DVDs with CC black background?
tv-subtitles-02-650x392.png

tuner-card.png
For Desktop PC model.

Windows Media Center – TV Tuner | Hardware | Windows Tools, Help & Guides

it is for tuner tv ONLY
won't work for DVD

Hi rhr,

1) Go to "Settings"
2) Click on "TV"
7) Save the settings.

Give it a try.

Peter

it is right, why M$ remove it, but Vista had CC with DVD

you can download PowerDVD 11 or WinDVD Pro !! tiral, they support media center
$$$$ cost.... but it is small, my hdtv is big size

Sony HDTV is 1 inch
WinDVD and PowerDVD is 3/4
Media Player 1/2

I want 1 inch or more

lol, that for TV only. Did you try it for DVD? I tested it But, it's yellow fonts and no solid black background

CC-yellow.jpg

Movie "2012" is no cc but Subtitle with black soild backtound!! but I had many dvd had CC and subtitle without black soild background

I wish 3rd party software converter subititle to subtitle with bacl soold background ???

No, I have not yet tested with DVD disks. I was hoping the settings I suggested applies to DVD movies as well as TV programs. I will get DVD movies tomorrow and hopefully find a solution.

Peter

it is right.. only WinDVD and PowerDVD, I don't like it

I need where I find freeware 3rd party software playback DVD for 7MC with CC ???

That's image is not CC. It's from "Iron Man" DVD's menu as subtitle setting like english, spainish, french, etc. (yellow font and no solid background)

DVD2.jpg

Windows Media Center 7 setting CC with solid black background for TV only with TV tuner card. It won't work with DVD as no solid black background. You have to download a third party software.

EVO,

I know 7MC had CC on tuner TV BUT NO LONGER CC FOR DVD , M$ remove it and put "subtitle" on Media Center, you look

Task -> Setting -> TV -> "CLOSED CAPTION"
but
Task -> Setting -> DVD -> "SUBTITLE"

that why vista show
Task -> Setting -> DVD -> "CLOSED CAPTION"

that why M$ replace CC to subtitle

I have TV tuner card too

Wow... Ok, I got your point... In my opinion, W7 sucks! Vista kickass for you. Do you want reinstall new Vista OS again? I have no choice for discussion here. let my case rest and peace.

He is not talking about Windows Media "Player", he is talking about Windows Media "Center".

Peter

Back