Window shades and blinds

Do u must have your blinds or shades open or closed while u are at home?

• Yes, I must have them open.

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • No, I need them closed.

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • It depends on my mood

Votes: 8 44.4%

• Total voters

shel90

Love Makes the World Go Round
Premium Member
Reaction score
AS u probably know, I am deaf and my husband is hearing. On days, when we stay home, I always wake up after my husband so when I go to the living room to join him, I have to open up all the blinds and my husband askes me why do I do that? I told him I cant stand not being able to see outside and I like a lot of light and he said he prefers them closed and doesnt need to see outside. It got me to thinking...a few weeks ago, we visited his friends (hearing) and spent the night there. The next day we all hung out in the living room and let me tell u this..I was going stir crazy! Their blinds AND shades were drawn and their house was dark but can see. I had this overwhelming urge to open all the blinds and shades but it wasnt my house. All day, they kept them closed...I asked my husband how they can stand that. My husband said that he would do that too cuz too much light bothers him but out of respect for me, he lets me open the blinds. I do remember growing up, my mom always yelled at me and my deaf brother for opening the blinds cuz she said we let the heat in (in Phx) and waste electricity. My brother and I couldnt stand it.

I am wondering if it is a deaf thing cuz I need to see outside and if my blinds are closed, I feel disconnected. A need to meet our visual needs or what? Just curious if anyone has those issues?

It doesnt bother me open or close from the blinds :) .. even I can sleep thur the days when it is sunny doesnt bother me still sleep hehe :giggle:

It is depend in which room. Either open or close. At night must DARK in our room or else I cannot sleep with blind or curtains close. I don't like to have light go through our windows.

I meant for during the day when u stay home? When I hang out at home, I must have the blinds open in the kitchen and living room and I am trying to figure out why I go crazy if they are left closed all day if I stay home.

At night, I must have them closed due to privacy reasons and when we are not home, must be closed too for security reasons.

I know what you mean...my adopted mom always have them opened. Me depend on my mood. So I guess everyone is different?

I meant for during the day when u stay home? When I hang out at home, I must have the blinds open in the kitchen and living room and I am trying to figure out why I go crazy if they are left closed all day if I stay home.

At night, I must have them closed due to privacy reasons and when we are not home, must be closed too for security reasons.

Depend on rooms.. Alike playroom half windows with closed and open blinds.. Another room with orchid plants must open all the time :)
My hubby watch tv room and like to half closed blinds.

OH yeah at night time must close cuase not gonna let the blind open while change clothes :lol:

I always closed my shades in my bedroom at nighttime. Rest of the house, no need to close it. Only in living room, I have curtain to cover the big window, no blind or shade. I didnt want anyone to drive or walk by my house to see thru whats in my living room. That is no!!

I have the exact same issues with my fiancé and we're both hearing. I hate having the windows closed during the day; I feel closed in and sort of paranoid. He likes being in his office or den with all the windows closed any time of day. He calls it his "cave." In our case it's just a matter of taste.

I even like having the windows open at night, although not in the bathroom or bedroom of course. For me as well it has to do with the sense of being connected. However this does mean sometimes people will come off the sidewalk up to our window if they see us inside, and want to ask us a question. I HATE that.

With blinds, I open them just enough to let some light in, but not enough to see through, unless you get up close.

I prefer to keep my shades closed at all time, I do not feel safe if they are open. Besides, I live in a large city, so best to keep shades closed so no one can see in and see what I have (especially robbers), also I feel creeped out if someone can see what I am doing if the shade is not closed.

For my safety and peace of mind, I will always have shades closed.

it doesn't bother me.. i like to have blinds open during day time.. to save electricy using lights on..

during night i have them closed to save heat.

also during day i use open blinds to let sun shine in the house to save heating cost.

i guess it varies on people north and south, west and east.

I don't much like my blinds open. I live in an apt though and that is a big reason. I don't want people to see what i have. If i had a house with a good sized yard it would probably be different. Also living in FL the heat is awful and we have so much sun. It is better on electric to close blinds. i have skylights though and they put a lot of light in the apt. At night i especially have them closed. I don't like the thought of some one seeing me but because of the dark, i can't see them.

I love to open the blind shade during the day. Andrew dislike the bright light into the house, it bothers his eyes. He has blue eyes ! :D I do not like to have dark or coverage the windows. I love to visual through the windows with weather, cars, people, birds, squirels, etc...

I hate the walls blank with no view windows. I got upset easily when a big truck or suv jeep block my living room window. I do not know why I dislike to block the visual.

its funny.. my man and i are very opposite.. he likes blinds/curtains closed.. (even night too)..

I like them open.. thats must.. why? save energy AND warmth.. PLUS see who coming .. (run and hide if you see someone you dont want them visit) lol.. jk..

at night.. must close them cuz i dont want others peek through.. dont want their nose marks on windows... hehe.. eww

:giggle:

I have blinds closed at all times as I live on a very busy street and I do not want people peering at me thru my patio door! I have a thing about privacy.

Back