wind storms, power outages, rain in ohio

The car doesn't need to be running to charge a phone.

Old cars doesn't have to be running to charge a phone, but the new ones do! For example, my old 1995 Saturn SL didn't have to be running when I charged my old pal - the Sidekick 3. However, with my new 2012 Hyundai Elantra, it HAS to be running in order to charge my phone.

"RAY: But what she didn't know was that she didn't have to run the engine. If she had simply plugged the adapter into the power point (formerly called the cigarette lighter) and then turned the key to the appropriate position (on some cars, the power point will work without the key in at all, and on other cars the key needs to be in one of the "on" positions), she could have charged her cell phone using only the car's battery.

TOM: No harm would have come to the battery. Charging a cell phone takes so little energy that it's virtually impossible to run down a healthy car battery by doing that. And the battery would have completely recharged itself the next time she used the car."

Today: What a crazy way to charge a cell phone! | Car Talk

Old cars doesn't have to be running to charge a phone, but the new ones do! For example, my old 1995 Saturn SL didn't have to be running when I charged my old pal - the Sidekick 3. However, with my new 2012 Hyundai Elantra, it HAS to be running in order to charge my phone.
It might be a glitch with that car.

It also could be a problem with the connection.

New cars usually have more than one accessory port. Sometimes one is in the "on" mode, which will work all the time, without the engine running, and the other port is in the "off" mode except when the engine is running. There is usually at least one port that will be "on."

Are you saying you did have your key in the "on" position, without the motor running?
Another possibility is that the recharger is bad.
Think of it this way: If your cabin light, trunk light, etc. will come on when the engine is not running, then your power point should work.

Back