wind lens

goHabsgo

Reaction score
windlens.jpg

Forget about traditional tri-blade wind turbines — the ultra-efficient turbine of the future might look completely different if Kyushu University professor Yuji Ohya has anything to say about it. Ohya and his team recently unveiled the Wind Lens, a honeycomb-like structure that purportedly triples the amount of wind energy that can be produced by offshore turbines.

The Wind Lens was unveiled at this month’s Yokohama Renewable Energy International Exhibition 2010. The structure works similarly to a magnifying glass that intensifies light from the sun — except in this case, the lens intensifies wind flow. Ohya’s design doesn’t have too many moving parts — just a hoop (AKA a brimmed diffuser) that “magnifies” wind power, and a turbine that is rotated by wind captured from the hoop. Each Lens, which measures 112 meters in diameter, can provide enough energy for an average household.

Ohya doesn’t know if the Lens will go into commercial production, but if nothing else, it could provide a more aesthetically appealing alternative to traditional offshore turbines.

"Wind Lens" Turbines Could Boost Energy Generation 3X | Inhabitat - Green Design Will Save the World

If the efficiency of one lens can be increased, this could also be a very good alternative to a renewable energy resource.

Last edited:
Interesting, wonder how efficent it is compared to the tri blade wind generators. I see tons of them here in Iowa.

Interesting, wonder how efficent it is compared to the tri blade wind generators. I see tons of them here in Iowa.

Well, I don't know how much a Tri Blade outputs but I would guess it's a very substantial amount of power compared to the lens at the moment.

(Edit, the Tri Blade on land that is)

The lens triples the amount of wind energy that can be produced by offshore turbines.

As far as offshore turbines the lens claim to produce triple the amount.

Last edited:
Well, I don't know how much a Tri Blade outputs but I would guess it's a very substantial amount of power compared to the lens at the moment.

Me too. There are 6megawatts Tri Blade.

a 112 meter lens powers only 1 house hold. That is much bigger than a 6 megawatt blade.

Back