will there ever be a deaf president of the United States?

those examples don't really work. you have to look at the political institutions of these places. of course China's been around for thousands of years. in fact, more like billions. same with Europe. continents tend to outlast civilizations. but the power struggles throughout China, Europe and the Middle East through the last 1000 years or so have been relatively constant.

But what I meant was, that cultures and what is passed down remain preserved in a lot of ways. Yes there have been struggles and change of government, different phases, etc... but like for example traditional clothing, language, religion, etc are often still present, where it is more of a 'niche' historical thing, here.

Edit:
An example of what I consider a true 'fallen empire' would be more like Native Americans (even though they weren't really an empire). They were integrated into a vastly different society, and they still have 'nations' and their reservations, and their culture preserved, but as one nation on this continent, they are 'no more'... they are relegated to what bits of land our government has set aside for them.

America is what we called - "low fertility, low mortality." So do Japan, UK, and most of well-developed nations. America's population depends on immigration to offset the population loss. I don't think genetic disorders will be entirely eliminated by genetic engineering nor technology. Why? because there will be newer, tougher disease - something more devastating and ruthless than AIDS. When you say in as little as a few hundred years - that means we'll probably be exploring in space as well - space disease. AIDS will be eliminated for sure but not common cold/flu.

Clinton was HOH in one of the ears, if I remember correctly. He's one of those baby boomers who have degrading hearing.

There may be not as much progress with virus or bacteria, and new ones may pop up... but I think eventually we will be able to replace nerves, limbs, eyes, ears, organs... either biologically, or mechanically... and also be able to alter genes which can cause harmful physical problems, such as bone or heart disorders/deficiencies, or cancer.

There may be not as much progress with virus or bacteria, and new ones may pop up... but I think eventually we will be able to replace nerves, limbs, eyes, ears, organs... either biologically, or mechanically... and also be able to alter genes which can cause harmful physical problems, such as bone or heart disorders/deficiencies, or cancer.

Genetic engineering. Replace some DNA with starfish.

Reminds me of someone in 6th grade once telling me that I was smart enough to be the President. :eek3::lol: Sometimes deaf people mistake me for a hearing person, so who knows? :hmm:

Back