Will Obama Stand Up for These Kids?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASLGAL

Reaction score
Will Obama Stand Up for These Kids?
By WILLIAM MCGURN

Dick Durbin has a nasty surprise for two of Sasha and Malia Obama's new schoolmates. And it puts the president in an awkward position.

The children are Sarah and James Parker. Like the Obama girls, Sarah and James attend the Sidwell Friends School in our nation's capital. Unlike the Obama girls, they could not afford the school without the $7,500 voucher they receive from the D.C. Opportunity Scholarship program. Unfortunately, a spending bill the Senate takes up this week includes a poison pill that would kill this program -- and with it perhaps the Parker children's hopes for a Sidwell diploma.

Sarah and James Parker attend Sidwell Friends School with the president's daughters, thanks to a voucher program Sen. Dick Durbin wants to end.
Known as the "Durbin language" after the Illinois Democrat who came up with it last year, the provision mandates that the scholarship program ends after the next school year unless Congress reauthorizes it and the District of Columbia approves. The beauty of this language is that it allows opponents to kill the program simply by doing nothing. Just the sort of sneaky maneuver that's so handy when you don't want inner-city moms and dads to catch on that you are cutting one of their lifelines.

~snip~

Virginia Walden-Ford, executive director of D.C. Parents for School Choice, wouldn't mind making a few more politicians bristle. "I'd like to see a reporter stand up at one of those nationally televised press conferences and ask President Obama what he thinks about what his own party is doing to keep two innocent kids from attending the same school where he sends his?"

As for Sidwell, the school has welcomed the Opportunity Scholarship program. Though headmaster Bruce Stewart declines to get into either politics or the Obamas, he says that a program that gives parents more educational options for their children is not only good for their kids, it's good for the community. Plainly he's not doing it for the money: Even the full D.C. voucher covers only a small fraction of Sidwell's actual costs.

All of which leaves the First Parent with a decision to make: Will he stand up for those like his own children's schoolmates -- or stand in front of the Sidwell door with Mr. Durbin? It's hard to imagine white congressional Democrats going up against him if he called them out on an issue where they have put him in this embarrassing position. This, after all, is a man who has written of the "anger" he felt as a community organizer, when his attempts to improve things for Chicago school kids ran up against an "uncomfortable fact."

"The biggest source of resistance [to reform]," he said, "was rarely talked about . . . namely, the uncomfortable fact that every one of our churches was filled with teachers, principals, and district superintendents. Few of these educators sent their own children to public schools; they knew too much for that. But they would defend the status quo with the same skill and vigor as their white counterparts of two decades before."

Let's just say that Sarah and James Parker -- and thousands just like them -- could use some of that same Obama anger right about now.

William McGurn Says Barack Obama Is Upholding a Double Standard on School Vouchers - WSJ.com

I think this school and program has the limelight because the President's daughter attend there.
I wish the Deaf School in PA would get some of this national exposure.

One wonders if the scholarship kids would get the same media attention if they went to a school other than Sidwell. I don't know if I would want my children's names in the news as poster kids for this. What really needs to be focused on is fixing public schools so everyone has the same opportunity for excellent education.

I have long been a proponent of the vouchers system.

I believe every parent should be able to take their tax $$ and place them with their children into the school of their choosing.

I believe every parent should be able to take their tax $$ and place them with their children into the school of their choosing.
:gpost:

Certain counties in Florida already do so. Charter schools, public schools.

Not to sure about "private schools"

I never did see the point of having a neighborhood school that few of the kids who actually live IN the neighborhood go to--most of the students are bussed in from other areas. And this has nothing to do with racial balancing. If I had kids, I'd of course want them to go to the best schools, and if I couldn't afford a private school, I'd certainly take advantage of the voucher system, but the real problem seems to be that public schools, which use citizens' tax dollars, are not measuring up to standards, and that needs to be fixed.

according to The Heritage Foundation - Conservative Policy Research and Analysis, most of the liberal Member of OCngress sent their own kids to private schools while at the same time, they opposed school vouchers, school choices, etc. So did Mayor Fenty whom twins attend a private school. So did most of the DC Council and the DC school board for the last 10 years. and most are liberal Democrats. they did not want the poor and the mass to have the same opportunity. So did President Clinton and Obama, Except President Carer. so elitist of them

according to The Heritage Foundation - Conservative Policy Research and Analysis, most of the liberal Member of OCngress sent their own kids to private schools while at the same time, they opposed school vouchers, school choices, etc. So did Mayor Fenty whom twins attend a private school. So did most of the DC Council and the DC school board for the last 10 years. and most are liberal Democrats. they did not want the poor and the mass to have the same opportunity. So did President Clinton and Obama, Except President Carer. so elitist of them

The one thing most of you are forgetting is security of the leaders that send their children to the private schools.

Afterall, if you were a 'bigwig' in the government that sent your child to a public school and you made an unpopular decision. The first thing that crazed individuals would do is go after your kids as they are vulnerable. :cool2:

It has nothing to do with the "haves" and the "have-nots". Even though--it seems like it--it's not.

Of course! Liberals will always be criticized by a foundation run by conservatives...

Of course! Liberals will always be criticized by a foundation run by conservatives...

Yes, and they are also forgetting that conservatives also send their children to private schools as well.

Ain't that the pot calling the kettle black? :roll:

The one thing most of you are forgetting is security of the leaders that send their children to the private schools.

Afterall, if you were a 'bigwig' in the government that sent your child to a public school and you made an unpopular decision. The first thing that crazed individuals would do is go after your kids as they are vulnerable. :cool2:

It has nothing to do with the "haves" and the "have-nots". Even though--it seems like it--it's not.
Where did the "bigwig" children go to school before their parents became "bigwigs" and security became an issue?

Good try on trying to make the issue about a battle between liberals and conservatives but it is not what this is about.
I believe the author brings Obama into it because it is happening to regular parents at the school his children attend.

Whether a Dem./Durbin or any Rep. that may present the idea of getting rid of an educational option, it should be addressed.

In my state, past and present Governors of both parties have been bought by the unions and fight a voucher system in the state.

I believe allowing a parents tax dollars to follow their children to whichever school they choose would benefit all. The schools would be more inclined to improve performance of staff and students alike to attract more students and more tax dollars. A win-win.

Where did the "bigwig" children go to school before their parents became "bigwigs" and security became an issue?

Chances are that they were: a) homeschooled by their parents or b) were enrolled in public schools before their parents became an elected official/ "bigwig" in the government. :)

BTW-- when Ally was alive, she was enrolled in a private school.

Due to the nature of the position I had before, I didn't want to take chances that a crazed individual would do harm to her.

Good try on trying to make the issue about a battle between liberals and conservatives but it is not what this is about.
I believe the author brings Obama into it because it is happening to regular parents at the school his children attend.

Whether a Dem./Durbin or any Rep. that may present the idea of getting rid of an educational option, it should be addressed.

In my state, past and present Governors of both parties have been bought by the unions and fight a voucher system in the state.

I believe allowing a parents tax dollars to follow their children to whichever school they choose would benefit all. The schools would be more inclined to improve performance of staff and students alike to attract more students and more tax dollars. A win-win.
:gpost:

Chances are that they were: a) homeschooled by their parents or b) were enrolled in public schools before their parents became an elected official/ "bigwig" in the government. :)
In other words, you don't know. Just guessing?

Interesting article considering that it is an editorial opinion and not "real news"....

In other words, you don't know. Just guessing?

No--I'm not guessing. I'm making an assumption.

Secondly--if it was you that was the politican, would you send your child to a private school or a public school knowing that anyone that disagrees with you can harm your child more so in a public school than a private school?

No--I'm not guessing. I'm making an assumption.

Secondly--if it was you that was the politican, would you send your child to a private school or a public school knowing that anyone that disagrees with you can harm your child more so in a public school than a private school?

what about public schools in "ritzy" area?

Yes, and they are also forgetting that conservatives also send their children to private schools as well.

Ain't that the pot calling the kettle black? :roll:
This here conservative sent her child to private Christian school but not for bigwig security reasons. ;)

We weren't rich either. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back