Will my voice change?

It has nothing to do with signing, as it happens to those who don't sign. I've had a lot of speech therapy, probably more than most, I've had about 10 years of it. It's all to do with how you push the air out and how you time it with your tongue, lips and teeth. When you stop hearing yourself, you get sloppy. You don't enunciate as well and you don't push the air out properly and your timing can also be off.

Because you were a singer with apparently some training, you can continue to use that in your daily speech. It can get pretty exhausting, just like if you were singing professionally all day long every day. It's not like the singing you do in the shower ;-)

This is correct, signing has nothing to with it. I have progressive loss that started when I was 20, in my left ear, then in my right at 25. I'm now 38, my left ear had been profound, and unaided for years, but my right dipped into profound about 2 years ago, and no I don't sign. I still use ha's, got new ones last summer, more powerful ones due to further loss. My voice sounds different to me, but I'm not sure how much of that is going from Oticons to phonaks. At leadt with my aid (s) in yes I have 2 now but rarely wear the left one, without being aided I can't hear my voice at all anymore. But I have been told I'm getting a deaf accent, I can't tell. But I've been told Ive gotten nasally, we don't hear our voices as well anymore and we push the air through our noses to feel the vibrations. Also I supposedly hit my constants hard and hold them longer than is normal. Meh, whatever, I still feel silly when people tell me I speak really well after I've told them I'm deaf or HoH, really I use both terms. I even had one lady, a client I'm a massage therapist, who is a speech pathologist want to know where I went school because my speech is sooooo good (insert eye rolls here) It always makes me squirm. Don't go congratulating me, I wasn't born deaf, it's really not an accomplishment for me.

Last edited:
I have been hoh, then steadily losing the hearing since 1990 and then a big loss in 2000. Though I can speak it's my choice not to unless there is no other choice. (there is almost always a choice)

On those rare occasions when I speak it seems I am a bit flat on intonation. At least that's what the hearies say. :shrug:

Seems my voice is changing, more and more people can't understand me. I've always had a physical speech and processing issue anyway.
But recently I was somewhere and after three tries, the person still didn't understand me. I thought after I should have written it down. Sometimes someone will say something to me in response to something I think I've said - but they obviously thought it was some other word, and I couldn't tell that how I said it was anything different.

Years ago at work one my hearing aid batteries died and I didn't have a replacement so I went about my day. I was talking to my coworkers about something and they just looked at me like I three heads. I asked what the issue was and they told me they couldn't believe how my voice worsened....this after half a day with one hearing aid. The reality is if you can't hear yourself, the speech suffers...how much though depends on the attention you give speech...assuming it concerns you.

Laura

I've been told that since I suddenly went deaf about 2 yrs ago, that my voice has changed significantly. I'm told that I don't annunciate as clearly, slur together a lot of my words, my voice is a bit deeper, and I am actually quite hard to understand. Naturally, I have no sense of my pitch or volume anymore, so I'm sure that's not helping! I guess it's just part of being deaf!

I actually have made the decision to basically go voice-off because of this. While it has definitely been an adjustment (especially as I am just now starting to learn to sign), I prefer it, as I hate not knowing what I am saying and how I sound. I rely heavily on texting and writing things down, and it seems to work for me.

-Lauren

Back