Will I see a significant difference switching from analog to digital?

Fraze

Reaction score
Hi guys, new member here. Thought I would ask a question since I'm planning to get new hearing aids soon. I'm 24 years old and I've been using my Phonak PicoForte 3 BTE analog hearing aids for around 15-20 years? Got them when I was 4-5 years old. The left aid broke around 6 years ago so I've been using a single hearing aid in my right ear for quite so time. Unfortunately it seems like it's not going to last me very long so I figured it's time to get new ones.

I had a hearing evaluation done yesterday and I have severe to profound hearing loss in both ears, so my audiologist recommended the new Oticon Chili BTE digital hearing aids for me. Nothing is set in stone yet as I still have to send in paperwork to see if my insurance will cover it but it seems likely at this point.

So the question I'm asking, and I did ask my audiologist this as well, is that will I see a big difference switching over? I read a lot of horror stories from here and other websites saying digital will take quite some time getting used to and that I'll have to "re-learn" sound again, but at this point I'll accept anything. My analog hearing aids aren't as good as they used to be and I have a very hard time hearing speech/conversations and it sucks to be honest. Will the digital hearing aids be that big a difference? Especially since I stuck with analog for 20 years lol.

Sorry if this has been asked a million times before, thanks for any responses!

It is not for everyone. It's up to you if you feel comfortable with digital sounds.

I used to wear analog hearing aids for almost 20 years, then I switched them to digital hearing aids for almost 10 years. The only one thing I like about those digital hearing aids is no more feedback. My personal experience is the digital sounds aren't as same as analog sounds. They sound like robot sounds. Analog sounds still rock. I plan to buy new analog hearing aids and will be wearing them daily. I will keep digital hearing aids for physical activities only.

I instantly like digital better. And I was an analog user for many more years than you have been alive when digital became available.(to the OP, not Barbaro as we posted same time)

Last edited:
Hi guys, new member here. Thought I would ask a question since I'm planning to get new hearing aids soon. I'm 24 years old and I've been using my Phonak PicoForte 3 BTE analog hearing aids for around 15-20 years? Got them when I was 4-5 years old. The left aid broke around 6 years ago so I've been using a single hearing aid in my right ear for quite so time. Unfortunately it seems like it's not going to last me very long so I figured it's time to get new ones.

I had a hearing evaluation done yesterday and I have severe to profound hearing loss in both ears, so my audiologist recommended the new Oticon Chili BTE digital hearing aids for me. Nothing is set in stone yet as I still have to send in paperwork to see if my insurance will cover it but it seems likely at this point.

So the question I'm asking, and I did ask my audiologist this as well, is that will I see a big difference switching over? I read a lot of horror stories from here and other websites saying digital will take quite some time getting used to and that I'll have to "re-learn" sound again, but at this point I'll accept anything. My analog hearing aids aren't as good as they used to be and I have a very hard time hearing speech/conversations and it sucks to be honest. Will the digital hearing aids be that big a difference? Especially since I stuck with analog for 20 years lol.

Sorry if this has been asked a million times before, thanks for any responses!

Oticons are quite awesome *maybe I'll go Chilli this year* (if you love Phonak, go cuckoo for the Naida Q that's out now too)

Digitals are good if you have sensiorneural hearing loss in which it's not a simple matter of amplification. The problem with my hearing is that I don't hear everything in the right proportion. Some frequencies are real loud while some are quiet.

When I had an analog hearing aids as a kid it was a little distracting because certain frequencies would get really loud and it got distracting. Imagine all of sudden you hear a WHEEEEEE!!! only for certain frequences.

With digital hearing aids it only amplifies certain frequencies so that the sound is more balanced and is not distracting.

It is not for everyone. It's up to you if you feel comfortable with digital sounds.

I used to wear analog hearing aids for almost 20 years, then I switched them to digital hearing aids for almost 10 years. The only one thing I like about those digital hearing aids is no more feedback. My personal experience is the digital sounds aren't as same as analog sounds. They sound like robot sounds. Analog sounds still rock. I plan to buy new analog hearing aids and will be wearing them daily. I will keep digital hearing aids for physical activities only.

Did you notice a big difference while conversing with people at all? That's one of my main issues with my HA right now since I work in retail, I'm really hoping the new Oticons will make speech much clearer for me as well as eliminating background noise too.

Did you notice a big difference while conversing with people at all? That's one of my main issues with my HA right now since I work in retail, I'm really hoping the new Oticons will make speech much clearer for me as well as eliminating background noise too.

I'm profoundly deaf. And I'm not familiar with digital Oticons, but I had analog Oticons when I was younger. They're the best.

Yes, I notice that when cashiers ask me a question in the noise background, I can understand them clearly. But the sounds I listen are digital, not analog sounds. It takes time to get used to it.

I was at IN-N-OUT the other day, and the noise background was so loud. I sat by the table, and I could hear a cashier across the room. Cashier kept saying 'perfect' to those customers after they told her their orders. I don't know if that was annoying or not. lol.

I was at IN-N-OUT the other day, and the noise background was so loud. I sat by the table, and I could hear a cashier across the room. Cashier kept saying 'perfect' to those customers after they told her their orders. I don't know if that was annoying or not. lol.

Across the room? Lol that sounds pretty ridiculous, I'm lucky if I'm able to make out a full sentence clearly face-to-face with my current HA's.

Big time!... I'm profoundly deaf and wore Phonak Suoerfront hearing aids for nearly 20 years. My Phonak Naisa S IX UPs are SO much better. I can hear so much more. I can hear really well in noisy places. I would never go back to analog hearing aids EVER. I also don't feel that the digital hearing aids sound funny at all. Never though they did, they don't even sound a little bit funny!

I wore Phonak analogs as a kid, and got my first digital Phonak when I was in 9th grade. I liked it instantly, didn't take me too long to get used to it. I am now on my 3rd digital Phonak hearing aid (Naida IX UP) and couldn't be happier.

Hey guys, thanks for all the responses so far. Just a small update, right now I had to get a new vision exam done for the audiologist to send out to the Medicaid company since I am also legally blind in my right eye. I'm in NY so according to the Medicaid website, they cover binaural hearing aids if the patient has previously worn a binuaral set and is also severely vision-impaired. My audiologist told me that I would have to get medical clearance from my physician saying I would need a new set, but I also have to write a letter detailing my routine and why I would need the new set.

What I'm wondering is has anyone here done something similar? I'm not sure who to write the letter to, or if I should just fax it to my audiologist. I plan on asking him again but I'm just wondering if any of you guys had done something similar.

Thanks!

I'm forty-six and I had been wearing analogs up until 2011, so yes, I know how you feel about missing the sound. I made a mistake with my insurance coverage and got a low end digital set from Starkey. It was awful and I thought I'd never really hear again. What an unpleasant introduction to the digital experience.... I was ready to throw in the towel when I stumbled upon the Widex 440 (Clear). It sounded the most like my old analogs and it's made a big difference for me, right out of the box so to speak. I can get bluetooth for my cellphone and actually hear on the phone for the first time in years. It allows me to turn the volume up or down, in front or behind, on or off. I have devices that put the sound from my TV straight into my ears whether the TV volume is on or not. (My family loves that part. :) ) so it's been a very positive experience after I got over my rough patch.

Don't believe all the negative stories or base your decision on that. If you have a good audi, let them guide you and help you narrow down the right brand and model for you.

Laura

In addition to the suggestions above, also see about getting a trial period. That way, you can try out different hearing aids for a few weeks and get the ones you feel work best for you.

noticed the difference since last week now (I am hoping the new Oticon will do this too!)

My best friend switched from analog to digital for his hearing aid not too long ago and he said he's seen a substantial difference in the quality of sounds that he hears. I wouldn't know too much though as I don't wear any hearing aids at all. :dunno:

Hi guys, another small update. I managed to get medical clearance for the hearing aids from my physician and also wrote a letter out to the state explaining my reasoning for needing new hearing aids. I'll be sending them out to my audiologist soon so fingers crossed!

Thank you all for your responses as well, they helped a lot.

Hi guys, another small update. I managed to get medical clearance for the hearing aids from my physician and also wrote a letter out to the state explaining my reasoning for needing new hearing aids. I'll be sending them out to my audiologist soon so fingers crossed!

Thank you all for your responses as well, they helped a lot.

that's great!!! hopefully you'll get them soon

Great news, I got approved and scheduled my fitting for July 8th! One question, will the fitting include a variety of hearing aids or will it be just one? They didn't really say anything other than that I got approved and to schedule a fitting. I'm assuming they'll have selections there.

Thank you to everyone here, you've been very informative!

I'll most likely post back when I get the new hearing aids to give my impressions as well what type I got.

Great news, I got approved and scheduled my fitting for July 8th! One question, will the fitting include a variety of hearing aids or will it be just one? They didn't really say anything other than that I got approved and to schedule a fitting. I'm assuming they'll have selections there.

Thank you to everyone here, you've been very informative!

I'll most likely post back when I get the new hearing aids to give my impressions as well what type I got.

that's great! good luck.

Back