Will I ever get used to these HA's ???

Debby

Reaction score
Hello .... I've had these HA's for about six weeks now .... I'm still not used to them they drive me nuts. Sometimes it'll feel like they aren't there... or one will feel like it's not there, but the other annoys me.... or they both annoy me.

Then there's LOUD places.... restaurants and some stores.... my HA's are digital and supposed to adjust, but also I have a remote with them... so I can turn em up and down as needed, but it just doesn't seem to be enough..... I can never hear women with soft voices very good...

Then at home.... ugh... I get the sound all good for the peace & quiet of home and my hubby turns on the tv and turns it too loud for me.... it's just so annoying.... will I ever get used to these darn things?

I've been trying to be faithful about putting them in right away when I get up in the morning and before I go to sleep take them out.... I want to take em out all day for a day... but he won't hear of it... no pun intended.... I just would rather have it quiet than all the noise at the end of the day... it was more peaceful around here when we were separated before we got back together. (sigh).

I've been trying to be faithful about putting them in right away when I get up in the morning and before I go to sleep take them out.... I want to take em out all day for a day... but he won't hear of it... no pun intended.... I just would rather have it quiet than all the noise at the end of the day... it was more peaceful around here when we were separated before we got back together. (sigh).
I don't know if you will get used to hearing aids or not since it doesn't seem like you need them much if the television is too loud for you.

But the parts of your quote that I have bolded and italicized seem like a very unhealthy relationship.

I don't know if you will get used to hearing aids or not since it doesn't seem like you need them much if the television is too loud for you.

But the parts of your quote that I have bolded and italicized seem like a very unhealthy relationship.

I can relate to what she is saying..I can hear noise from the tv but as I can't understand the voices the constant barrage of noise is really annoying.

I remember when hearing aids were a great help to me...but, if I left them out my wife would get very frustrated cause I could not understand her, so she was always telling me to "Put in your bloody aids!!" Nothing unhealthy..she is not a controlling person..just natural frustration..

As for getting used to them, I don't know..I personally found it more comfortable to just use 1 only..at least that would 'half' your problem!

The TV is too loud when he comes and turns it up when I have my hearing aids in .... I am easily annoyed by the tv anyway... it's just a noisebox.... he'll turn it on ... then want to talk to me.... It's like it's hard to hear him over the tv.

Like Bottesini said, I'd be a little concerned about the italics that Bottesini pointed out. But, perhaps, it's an educational thing, where he is not aware of the loudness that the tv has, and its impact on you and your hearing aids. Perhaps he thought that you needed the volume? Have you already taken the time to explain how increasing the tv volume negatively impacts you?

I always pause the TV whenever someone talks. This has either one of the three outcomes, the people learn to pause the TV, or wait for a lull in the show before talking, or they don't talk at all during the show. Either way, I'm fine. If someone complains about it, just explain that you thought that they may have something important to say and that you wanted to devote your undivided attention to them while they spoke to avoid misunderstanding their important words. If you don't have the option to pause, you can try muting the tv instead. If you do the "pause the tv" route, be consistent :)

Oh yah... we have a pretty unhealthy relationship.... trust me, I know this... we've been divorced & remarried...and are having counseling....

The TV is too loud when he comes and turns it up when I have my hearing aids in .... I am easily annoyed by the tv anyway... it's just a noisebox.... he'll turn it on ... then want to talk to me.... It's like it's hard to hear him over the tv.

Then remove your HAs for loud noises. I also tell my parents to lower the volume on the TV but mom says it's too quiet. I hear louder with HAs than she hears unaided. As for him talking to you, simply read his lips. I understand way more that way.

Watermelon, I haven't seen you on for a few days. Would like to chat more, I am on AIM now.

I agree with Bots again. Your ears, your life, your choice. No middle ground? A bit unsettling.

Counseling is good. If he likes tv so loud, maybe hearing check for him too?

My ex hubby used to give me a hard time about not wanting to wear my HAs around the house and it just became a battle of wits between us.

My current hubby knows ASL so no need for my HAs.

Hope everything works out great! I only wear them if I am in the mood to listen to music or want to hear the sound effects of a movie but other than that, I rarely wear them at home.

Debby, I would go back to your audiologist and explain what is bothering you. She may be able to make adjustments that make your HA more appropriate for you.

My DH never complains when I don't wear my HAs around the house. He is empathetic and says that he doesn't blame me. He doesn't complain about the closed captioning either. Maybe your therapist could help you to explain your hearing loss to your husband so that he can understand? That is, *if* your therapist understands. My shrink is truly clueless even though I've tried to explain it to him.

Clueless Shrink !

SallyLou said in part..

My shrink is truly clueless even though I've tried to explain it to him.

My comments here are NOT any type of negativity toward you, but more toward your shrink and the situation.

If he's truly clueless, even though you've tried to explain things to him, then how do you know the course of action he's taking with you is really in your best interest? You don't.

Even though I don't know you personally.. I can see and feel your frustration in your quoted comment. That being the case, is there any type of option available to you to change shrinks who might be in a better situational circumstance to help you?

If NOT.. and the type of person I am, I would sit right down in front of him and say something to the effect: "We're NOT going any farther until YOU truly realize how I feel in this (?) situation. I don't care if we spend the next hour, the next session, or the next ten sessions.. but dammit! we WILL spend as much time as I think is needed until YOU do!"

I've been in somewhat of the same situation (nothing to do with a shrink) as it pertains to some family members. I had to pound and pound and pound on them when it came to my Deaf/HOH inability to hear until they finally got it.

It would seem though that any shrink worth their salt would have realized this after the first time of explaining it to them.

I know this doesn't help your situation, but are some of my thoughts.

Shi-Ku Chishiki

ShiKu.Chishiki@Gmail.com

Things are getting better with my HA's ... it's taken a while to adjust to them.... and my husband lol.... he's really loud... it helps that I have a remote and can "turn him down" when he gets to carrying on too loud.

He's shown a little interest in learning ASL with me...we have a program for our iphones that helps teach it... for starters anyway... that's a positive sign for us.... hoping it will help in the future.

Grocery store scanners sure are loud!

Back