Why...?

AquaBlue

Reaction score
Why are there more women Terps then men? My deaf teacher told me that was true but why?

There are several reasons. Woman tend to be more "helpers" and they see interpreting as a way to "help" others. Also, women tend to be more interested and skilled in languages than men. Also, a lot of interpreting jobs are not full time, so it would be difficult to be the primary bread winner as an interpreter.

Yea true I notice that too :dunno2: So far, two males interpreter for me :thumb:

Have one interpreter in my area who is male. :roll:

I agree with fair de jour

Also, I see that in deaf/hearing relationships that the hearing women tend to be willing to learn ASL for their deaf partner than hearing men do. The hearing men tend to expect the deaf women to conform to their hearing needs therefore leaving many deaf women at passive role in the relationship. It drives me NUTS...I am luck y that my hubby who is a hearing guy learned sign and many of my deaf friends who have hearing hubbys or boyfriends always tell me that I am so lucky cuz their man arent willing to take the time and effort to learn.

I see the same reason for why there are more women terps than men so men like u are a dime in a dozen. :)

I've found that, within male-female relationships, that the male is the stable "breadwinner" (i.e., benefits, etc.). Most woman interpreters I know have a husband with a stable job and their income is supplemental.

I, also, know female interpreters who are not within that circumstance (i.e., single mother, single, lesbian).

Could it be that men seek to follow the "rules" and the women embrace a tendancy to be in a maternal, pathological role?

I've found that, within male-female relationships, that the male is the stable "breadwinner" (i.e., benefits, etc.). Most woman interpreters I know have a husband with a stable job and their income is supplemental.

I, also, know female interpreters who are not within that circumstance (i.e., single mother, single, lesbian).

Could it be that men seek to follow the "rules" and the women embrace a tendancy to be in a maternal, pathological role?

It could be...I know that I did embrace that traditional role in my first marriage. In this marriage, I do not due to hard lessons learned.

Maybe it doesn't occur to many men that they can become terps too?

Yep, there are a few males I have had as terps. I think I like them better because they do their job and not talk lol. At least, from my experience. Maybe it's just my preference.

I'd say its the same reason that there are more men than women in engineering. Women and men are known to choose careers that fit into accepted gender stereotypes.

Back