Why would you wanna some CI?????

First of all, if you want to know anything, you should take time to educate yourself.
"What if... what if.. " is NOT a good way to get education. You may as well ask yourself "what if the whole world farted at once"? what good will that do to you?

If you don't have time to search for reliable information, then well, you'll stay uneducated.

Secondly, be reasonable. What are the chances of any firm installing humongous magnetic walk-thru, and whatever for would that be?
And why would CI people go to the junkyard to stand under magnetic crane? what business would they have with it?

and last but not least, if I was interested what I can and can't do with CI, you can be sure I would take all the time needed to research all the information available, I wouldn't be just sitting down listening to all the confusing and often wrong tales from allover and wonder what if.. what if... :)

Fuzzy

What if?:
Car accident
playing soccer with your head
SCUBA at beyond 100 ft
Bawling at bar (Watch out big chair toward your CI heads)

Fuzzy, you keep talking...

mld4ds said:
What if the firms decided to install the walk-thur humongous magnet. I do not have time to research the CI info. Why don't you?

Ask your CI friends and go to junk yard to see if the crane with superby magnet can actually pick up them?

mld4ds, I am not sure where you got the idea that a CI destroys brain cells :-o or why you would even think it does. I have one and I am sure I have the same number of brain cells I had before surgery, although my wife might agree with you...lol Age, and booze have killed more of my brain cells thank the CI surgery that's for sure, I gave up drinking a long time ago, and I wish I could figure out how to give up growing older. :dunno: But I will tell you this for sure, I am not any dumber than I was before, and I work with sensitive business information everyday. So I suggest that fuzzy is right you should make sure of your facts about CI's before you make such claim especially one as serious as you made about intelligence.

Gigabye, you mean you want me to join the Borg?

Well, I do not mind one of them. She is so sexy...

mld4ds,

you keep asking "what if what if"

Why don't YOU find out about CI and answer yourself 'what if...'?

You seem to me to be a person not in favor of CI, but who is not very well oriented about CI's and yet instead of educating yourself you attack everyone else with your "what if.." as if to say they are not good,
while NOT KNOWING if you are right or not.

Fuzzy

Umm....the magnet thing doesn't cause loss of memory or kill brain cells or anything.......However, it might cause autoimmunine disorders or something in the long term...nobody knows.

Oh, boy....I only posted a humor pix. Methink you need to go fly a kite. I do not need to research CI.

Hey Fuzzy, there is a flying object toward your right side of your head...BAM! Oh, I deeply apologize for not yelling like FORE! Let me know if u may get another chance in order to obtain another new CI. As I said, Go Fly A Kite.....

Written via sk2.

Hey Fuzzy, there is a flying object toward your right side of your head...BAM!

umm ....well.... ummmm....
just wondering if WITHOUT CI in my head a flying object wouldn't hurt me or further damage my hearing anyway.
On the other hand - maybe with CI I would be able to hear someone yelling FORE!!!

I do not need to research CI

you sure?? I am not convinced your knowledge about CI is that good. Unless you are just fooling around...?

Deafdyke, :)

However, it might cause autoimmunine disorders or something in the long term

This is very interesting, could you please point me to some material about this? I tried to find it myself but what comes up is about ear disease like: autoimmune disorders can cause hearing loss etc..
Anticolchlear antibodies I think reffers to natural cochlea in our ear, but I am not sure.

One of course can develop allergy to the materials that CI is made of, but then one can develop an allergy to practically everything.

Fuzzy

Audiofuzzy said:
umm ....well.... ummmm....
just wondering if WITHOUT CI in my head a flying object wouldn't hurt me or further damage my hearing anyway.
On the other hand - maybe with CI I would be able to hear someone yelling FORE!!!

you sure?? I am not convinced your knowledge about CI is that good. Unless you are just fooling around...?

Deafdyke, :)

This is very interesting, could you please point me to some material about this? I tried to find it myself but what comes up is about ear disease like: autoimmune disorders can cause hearing loss etc..
Anticolchlear antibodies I think reffers to natural cochlea in our ear, but I am not sure.

One of course can develop allergy to the materials that CI is made of, but then one can develop an allergy to practically everything.

Fuzzy
:gives: and :sure:

Hello Deafdyke, have a good debating with fuzzy...

deafdyke said:
Umm....the magnet thing doesn't cause loss of memory or kill brain cells or anything.......However, it might cause autoimmunine disorders or something in the long term...nobody knows.

...and a meteor might fall on my head if I leave the house today. My computer monitor might give me glaucoma. Gasoline fumes from filling up my car might give me brain damage and/or cancer. If I kiss my kids, I might get germs they picked up at school. The list goes on.

A life without risk is no life at all.

brianb

There's nothing out there yet....just a hypothesis. Even the pro-implantees say that there's nothing known about the long term effects of implantation yet....One possible long term effect might be autoimmune problems.
An autoimmune reaction is sort of a allergic reaction.

oh boy.........

this is what i have learned here at gallaudet..from those who HAVE a CI...
the people who where born profoundly deaf..they think the CI is only ok or dont like it.
those who lost there hearing after the age of 4...think it works great ..that is becouse they remember how things SHOULD sound and can fine tune the CI.
i know a man who lost his hearing in the vietnam war..completely DEAF!!! got a CI and now talks on the phine and listens to talk radio! :thumb:

An autoimmune reaction is sort of a allergic reaction.

yeah I know that's why I said you may get allergic to the materials that CI are made of, but then again you may never.
Anybody can get an allergy at any time, even people who wear pacemaker and articficial hips, artificial eye etc...

Fuzzy

You're right. It could be allergic reactions. Sometimes, it's not exactly an allergic reaction, but the body fighting against something that is foreign and not recognized. It often happens to organic and non-organic transplants.

but the body fighting against something that is foreign and not recognized. It often happens to organic and non-organic transplants.
Yeah, that's what I meant......I know I've seen on sites that they don't know if something like that might happen....and it's a legitmate concern.

but the body fighting against something that is foreign and not recognized.

If you mean autoimmune disoorders, I don't think it would quite happened in CI case mainly because:

"Autoimmune disorders are conditions caused by an immune response against the body's own tissues".

Do you see the difference- the body OWN TISSUE, not the foreign object in a body.
With CI, I'd rather stick to allergy theory.
Unless, the body would react to the scar tissue around the CI but I think it's very, very unlikely to happen.

Lupus, Multiple Sclerosis, Hashimoto, Rheumatoid Arthritis, type I Diabetes, those are autoimmune disorders.
IMO, doesn't sit well will CI...

But yes, I got it- body rejecting an implant - that's possible but I think it's yet another medical problem. Not exactly autoimmune and not allergy.

Fuzzy

I may be grandoise but the way my best friend explained to me how surgery went, it just give me chills in my spine! Still, have to find way to go though the skull anyway!

He had it implanted about few weeks ago. Now he said its hell worth it, sigh!
I am not against him, because he is much of in hearing world more than deaf world. He was born hearing and lost hearing at 8 years old. So, I am sure the perspective is different.

Gigabyte said:
Well Diehard I am not sure where your friend had their surgery or who did the operation are you sure it was not a witch doctor? I just had CI surgery in June and I watched the video of my surgery and there was no hammer, or chisel, they did use a surgical drill but it is nothing like your regular 3/8 reversable you use at home. I had an unusally long incesion for my implant but it was not bad to look at even when the bandage was first removed. Any surgery leaves a wound, and CI surgery is no different, but there is no problem with the skull the surgeon only makes a small pocket to hold the implant receiver, it is tied down to the pocket so it cannot move after you heal up. I healed up very quickly after surgery and had the staple removed a week after my operation. I would have to say as surgery goes CI surgery is not bad, I have a friend who just had a heart by pass and that was a big deal, he was not allowed to do anything but go to the bathroom for a couple of weeks, and talk about a scar they cut him from the throat to his belly button.

darkangel8603 said:
what does that have to do with my question? I simply quoted a statement that was common in the deaf community who hates CI. That all, I had no intention to bring the nazi in this converstation. Read carefully and dont jump to conclusion.

darkangel8603 said:
r u one of those people who thinks ci is hilter to the deaf world? just curious../

First of all, it was not Hilter health team to open the Jews' deaf ears. Yet, thousand of years in medical history the physical society studied on hearing issues how the individual lost their hearings from either born or lost due to any unknown sickness.

I received my N24 over 5 years ago and recently obtained the new 3g Sprit BTE to replace the body worn speech processor. Am quite happy with it and in general usage of the CI. :)

Back