Why Videophone?

Arcadia

Reaction score
Can you tell me why are you using VP and what do you use it for? How often you use VP per week? Share your experiences!

I'm a bit upset with 2 friends today about VP. They stubbornly pestered me into get one and I firmly told them I am not interested. I just don't understand why it is so important. There are many ways to make calls. It doesn't make any sense! That's why I'm asking you for your experiences here... (I actually thought of this way: in order to be leave me alone, get it and I'll ignore all incoming calls as long as it lasts!)

Sorry for my venting... Thanks for reading!

I was somewhat like you thinking I don't need one, but I gave in.

I have found calling hearing friends and relatives through Videophone (video relay) is pretty quickier than calling them through the telephone relay. Using TTY/TDD takes forever to get messages across.

You have every right whether or not you want one for yourself. Ignore your friends, they'll stop pestering you. :)

I don't use videophone often.

Why Videophone? Tell you this story

Back then when my best friend trying to tell me to get Sorenson Videophone. I was in same shoe as you were. I said why? I have no problem with TTY.

But I was convinced to get VP because of him. I see nothing to lose if I apply for free.

As soon as I got VP installed, my perspective changed completely! I falled in love with it. WHY?

It is SUPER fast!, With Videophone, you can have normal conversation with any hearing people, The length would be equilvent with hearing people's telephone conversation.

When I was helping my friend selling product, I had to call to submit orders,

With TTY, I had spent almost an hour for one account, comparing to Videophone, 10 orders complete in just an hour! BIG difference.

With TTY, when you call hearing person, they sometimes hang up because they don't have enough patience for slow poke TTY conversation. On other hand with Videophone, I almost never got hanged up! They all loved it and appreciated that I use VP instead of TTY.

With Deafies, using TTY often misunderstand and miscommunication, I ran into plenty of problems with friends though TTY. I ended up changed to VP so that they can understand better. Changing to VP works pretty much every time!

Today, I would NOT touch TTY! It is too much headche, funny, 5 years ago, I love TTY, but now not anymore.

And bottom line, Sorenson Videophone, known as VP-200 is FREE to apply! What we got to lose if it is free?

Back to TTY, all LD calls are not free, while LD calls on VP though one of VRS providers will always be free, so again what you got to lose?

I'm in same shoe with you and I still don't want it. I used the webcam with Sorenson software that can connect with VP and it's just meh.

I actually prefer IM or email because I don't have to sit still and talking to camera and TV. I like to do something while I wait for a reply.

A friend of mine told me that she prefered VP for chat because she can see expression. She hate IM or TDD because it doesn't show any expression.

VP is also easier for most deaf people to understand language. Since it is a visual body language.

I use both " tty relay on the computer" and VP. Both have it's pros and cons.

Arcadia use whatever works best for you and best of luck.

videophone is for anyone who will like to waste their spare time. I do text-message all the time. :D

Can you tell me why are you using VP and what do you use it for? How often you use VP per week? Share your experiences!

I'm a bit upset with 2 friends today about VP. They stubbornly pestered me into get one and I firmly told them I am not interested. I just don't understand why it is so important. There are many ways to make calls. It doesn't make any sense! That's why I'm asking you for your experiences here... (I actually thought of this way: in order to be leave me alone, get it and I'll ignore all incoming calls as long as it lasts!)

Sorry for my venting... Thanks for reading!

arcadia,
have you tried using one yet ? If you already have high speed internet in your home, and the vp itself is free ... hmm its a no brainer just get one and have it installed. There are no minimum usage, even if you only might use it once a month, its just a tool to have that doesn't cost a thing to have and keep. I bet that once you have one, you will love it, even if you only use it few times a year. Suppose , just one day your pager quits, and your tty not working, and its the wrong time of the day to visit your Friend to borrow their phone, what can you do ? VP is ready for you. HMM .. I think you will kick yourself because you didn't take a moment just to have one installed and leave it.

with vp, If you dont want to be pestered, NO PROBLEM , just press the no calls button. When I first got my vp, I used it once in a few months, and then when something came up, I needed to make alot of long distance calls and the vp was the way to do it. Using the vp saved me a ton of money on the long distance calls and calling to a VRS , they pay for it and there is no charge on either party so everybody is happy.

Who cares if you dont answer anything on the vp - You just want it to call out , right ? You can even use the signmail as yiour answering service from all hearing people and there is no need to be stressed out if it important call or not, just screen the messages!! COOL huh ?!

I prefer videophone over TTY cuz it's a real timesaver and also able to show family or items that they want to see. It's more of upfront and realistic.

Rather than trying to explain what it look like over tty. My experience with tty conversation with some deafie who do not have good reading skills, they tend to misunderstand me easily which are frustrating. They think I was mad at them or blame them and in real life, it's nothing!! Sometime I had to go over to upset friend's home and clear up the misunderstanding over little thing!! :shrug:

So with VP, it's much easier cuz body language and see eye to eye to understand conversation clearly at once. It made my time whole lot shorter with VP than TTY. It would take me couple minutes to make plans with my mom through VRS than through tty which took me longer.

I understand that you don't like being pushed to get VideoPhone. You are not the only person, couple of my friends did not want VP so I undestood them.

Thing is that it's good idea to get VP because TTY are becoming obsolete and may not be around the next 5 years. Once your tty breaks, u get sucked. Also TTY are xpensive to replace and don't last long. Also some people may get Carpal Tunnel Syndrome on TTY or texting.

Catty

I love using VRS....so much faster and I can see the facial expressions so I can correctly convey the emotions of the person on the other line. It makes me feel more connected to others..

Also, chatting with my friends via VP is a great bonus to have too!

I think the big disvantage with VP is that whenever you have or want to call your friends on VP or through VRS... you have to dress up to look nice and clean up the room. :shock: :giggle:

I think the big disvantage with VP is that whenever you have or want to call your friends on VP or through VRS... you have to dress up to look nice and clean up the room. :shock: :giggle:

ahh - so you are lazy.:cool2:

lol - he sounds like used car salesman. ;)

lol! I had alot of experience with setting up/fixing vps . I been around too so it was just a second nature for me just to speak out. If you guys saw my pic, you probably would recognize me. LOL:D

Vp

I wish be free vp for Canada. That is important to help you. I that is help you. I am wish be free vp. i think So Vp Canada I need set up free Canada deaf vp on website. I cannot find out free vp....:wave:

Back