Why the distinction?

Powerfish

Reaction score
Probably a dumb question.

I learned a little ASL a few years ago (can still say cool, thanks and sack of sh*t) A friend of mine was leanring it and would practice alot so I kind of picked it up.
I know that ASL is a bit different from English (like no articles etc) but why do ppl say they don't speak English. I'm assuming deaf folks read books etc. But why the distinction?

"SPEAK" You just answered your own question :) We sign, not speak. ;) We don't use our voices as our primary tool of language.
I didn't learn English first...I don't acknowledge ENGLISH until second grade when I realized that there are TWO separate languages. "Oh, I use ASL but I can read and write English.. cool I am bilingual!" I grew up communicating with ASL and gestures established in a deaf-friendly atmosphere where English was also taught ("CLOCK" with an image of its sign next to it). Just because I also grew up with English didn't mean English was my native language. In Europe, a child may learn three languages by age 6 but the native language is still his/her *original* language, not two LEARNED language. ASL for me is my natural language that truly expresses myself. English has modified my mindset because it is not my natural language-- not in my native "fingers" (fingers=tongue for ppl who don't get it)...
:)

Hope this does help you understanding the "distinction" better. :)

When they say they don't speak English, it's probably because they don't use SEE (Signing Exact English). ASL is like broken English. I do have a few friends who are very strong ASL users, but they have problems reading books. They read just fine, but some sentences don't make sense because they are not fully familiar with sentence structures... which ASL lacks.

VamPyroX said:
ASL is like broken English.
Sorry to repeat myself from another thread. :)

According to linguists, ASL meets the requirements of a full language. It is not a "broken" or "short-hand" language. It is full and complete within itself, as a visual-gestural language. A sign language (ASL, BSL, whatever national sign language) cannot be compared with an oral/aural language. Even spoken languages are not compared with other spoken languages. You wouldn't call German "broken" English, and you wouldn't call English "broken" French.

ASL has its own grammatical structure and syntax. The problem is, ASL linguistics is not taught. Schools teach English grammar; most schools do not teach ASL grammar. It is true that you can't learn English grammar, sentence structure, or punctuation from ASL, because they are two separate languages. If you want to become fluent in Spanish, you don't use English grammar rules. Same thing.

Suppose an English user is learning a foreign language that doesn't use definite articles. You can't say, "oh, that is not a real language because there are too many words left out." No it is a real language, a different language.

If you think that ASL has no structure, just try to have an ASL conversation just using the signs exactly as they look in a dictionary, without any modifications, and in any order. Doesn't work, right? Because you are not following the rules of sign grammar.

I think you are confusing "no" rules with "different" rules. Same as, you can't translate English using Greek rules.

Some helpful links that explain ASL linguistics.

http://www.bu.edu/asllrp/
American Sign Language Linguistic Research Project

http://www.lifeprint.com/asl101/pag...out/grammar.htm
ASL Grammar

http://www.harriscomm.com/catalog/p...roducts_id=2233
ASL Grammatical Aspects Course 2001
Vocabulary, Grammar & Sentences

http://gupress.gallaudet.edu/linguistics.html
Linguistics

When I first started learning Sign i was told by my tutor that it English with a the bull taken out. How true! Its amazing how much you can say without all the rubbish that goes with it like - a, the, is, was, etc which is why it is a language within its own rights. Sadly when it comes to reading english Deaf children have a problem with all the unecessary words within.

Yes, that's why Australian people recognised Auslan.
I heard BSL finally got approval from the Parliament to recognised it.

VamPyroX said:
When they say they don't speak English, it's probably because they don't use SEE (Signing Exact English). ASL is like broken English. I do have a few friends who are very strong ASL users, but they have problems reading books. They read just fine, but some sentences don't make sense because they are not fully familiar with sentence structures... which ASL lacks.

I'd like you to cite your resources on that statement. SEE isn't a language. It's a signing system, artificially developed. Unlike English, ASL, BSL, French, and all the spoken and signed "languages" of the world, referred to as "natural" languages because the arise in the course of everyday interaction. You can produce sentences that are similar to English using SEE, but SEE cannot faithfully reproduce all English sentences. I wasn't born deaf. I became deaf after I was 30 years old. I know a LOT of people who are fluent English speakers and can't read english very well. So your comparison is faulty.

ASL has COMPLETE sentence structure. But it's not English. So I'm wondering, since you know that ASL "lacks structure" give us an example to illustrate that claim.

Powerfish said:
Probably a dumb question.

I learned a little ASL a few years ago (can still say cool, thanks and sack of sh*t) A friend of mine was leanring it and would practice alot so I kind of picked it up.
I know that ASL is a bit different from English (like no articles etc) but why do ppl say they don't speak English. I'm assuming deaf folks read books etc. But why the distinction?

It doesn't sound like you learned ASL. You did what I did when I started. You learned some of the vocabulary of ASL, maybe enough to allow you to say a few things or perhaps to have a short conversation. But you signed in the order of English sentence structure. You never learned ASL.

A lot of people say they "learned ASL" when they mean they learned a few words. That's like someone who speaks Taco Bell Spanish saying they learned Spanish. No offense intended. It's something deaf people are told, it seems, day-in and day-out.

Deaf people say they don't speak English because, in truth, they prefer to use their native language, their mother language, which is ASL. Why? Because it's easier, like English is easier for English speakers. It's just like someone from Mexico saying, "No entedendo Englais!" [I don't understand English] Deaf people are, principally, a "language-minority". That's like, say, the Mexican people here where I live. There are lots and lots of Mexican people here in Southern California that don't speak English. They live and work here every day of their lives, right in the middle of a "language-majority" of English speakers. So if you're out in my local community and you ask someone a question in English, they'll say right away, "No habla Englais." [I don't speak English] The Deaf are a languaguage minority just like any other language minority in the world. Always remember that and you won't find it surprising when a deaf person tells you they don't speak English.

You see, lots of people say they know ASL because they use the signs from the language. But they're not signing ASL until they use the "rules". Roughly speaking (and I mean VERY roughly), ASL has a chronological order to its expression and a strict and demanding visual logic. So an ASL sentence might begin like this: Yesterday, I shopped all day long.

Remember, I'm trying to "approximate" ASL, something that is near impossible to do with written language. Notice the sentence begins with "Yesterday". That's important because one of the BIG rules of ASL is that the sentence has to have a logic to it that makes sense "visually". "Yesterday" established the verb tense, in this case, Past tense. That means the entire conversation's context is established as "in the past" and specifically "yesterday". The time of the story, "yesterday" will not be changed until the signer changes it. He or she can now talk for an hour and the story remains in the past tense until it is changed again by the speaker. The most likely direction of change is to Present or Future tense. Why? Because of the RULE about chronological order. Past, Present, Future. That's a Very rough idea of an ASL rule.

Emphatics are a whole different situation. In English we say things like, "I was extremely upset." In ASL the use of a single sign conveys the meaning of both "extremely" and "upset" and it conveys both concepts simultaneously. In English, suppose your father told you to "Go clean your room, now." It would depend on his tone of voice when he used the word "now" that would tell you how serious he was. ASL has that same capability. It can convey many, many shades of "now" in that context; a request, a suggestion, a warning, a command, a demand. It's all in the way the sign "now" is used.

That's what the "distintion" is. You're not using ASL. You're using signed English or ASL signs in English word order. That's a whole different world away from ASL. That's broken English.

Last edited by a moderator:
Asl

Rayfus, thank you for your posting. I am currently a student of ASL and over the past few classes I have had, I definitely learned about that distinction. Most people assume that ASL means signed english. They do not understand that "signing" is very different from "American Sign Language." As you said, ASL is not just a hacked up form of English. But as there are many ways to express yourself with an English sentence, there are probably many ways to express it in ASL too. All with keeping the proper structure.

As a child, my mother was adamant that I speak proper English. It was very drilled into me. To this day I believe it is probably where I struggle most with ASL. For example, I was mouthing words as I was signing and my teacher, who was always reminding me not to do that, finally explained it to me...She said if you are mouthing the words, you are also speaking and signing English. The light finally went on for me and now I take a few moments before signing anything to properly structure it to an ASL tense-object-subject-verb format.

We have a monthly ASL social club here and it helps so much to sign with other students from upper and even the lower classes. They are either struggling to learn it or are at a higher level than myself. Many think it is more beneficial to learn by signing with the deaf community but I have learned from experience that not all deaf sign alike. That pidgin signing is big among many of the deaf, at least in my area, and even some of them believe they are signing ASL. I guess I look at it like taking a drivers-ed course. You learn the "proper" way to do it while in the course, and after you start driving on your own, you take up your own shortcuts. Most Americans speak English but many don't speak it correctly...

ASL is a beautiful language. I love it. I can't wait to be fluent so I can "speak" everything that is on my mind... :ily:

Back