why some deaf people are staying home whom not going to work?

nat84

Reaction score
It's very disturbed me...I knew few old friends who were women are living with their parents. Ever they were about early 20s, after college, did not go work yet, do nothing and around at home every day. Ever they did not have boyfriend, stay single for a while.

I was thought nothing wrong but I am realized what my hearing friend concerned about it. She did not like some people do nothing and call her most times, find why some of them that do not have a job, stay home every day. She told me one of them who graduated from university then not find a job yet. Same thing as my friend does because she is one who to be happening in somewhere then end up in not find work yet for more than a year.

I was disappointed and I do not want some deaf people to do nothing and bother other people if they did not have any or get a job. I encourage deaf people to find something or go to work, do not have depended by parents. If they want have the future, they have to learn how to be and better life instead of being alone and stay home.

Well, I have known some deaf people are controlled by their parents or family members. It not always easy to break away. But that don't mean they are lazy. Or maybe some stay home because they don't have a great educations. Who knows. But if some are staying home, it could be that deaf mothers like to stay home to be full time mother. Being single it not always a bad thing. It not a curse. Being single is by choice. But I do believe that hearing parents needs to let their deaf adult child to go free and get into the outside world. Sometimes hearing parents are over protective or selfish.

Many deaf people I know have tried to find jobs only to get comments like "You need to talk on the phone" for so-so jobs and then they become so discouraged and give up. Some still keep going on but years after years, it can get kinda discoraging and ruin many people's confidence in themselves which can lead to depression.

There are others that want to stay at home to take care of their kids while their significant other goes to work.

Then, there are those who are too lazy but in my experience, I only met a handful of deaf people like that.

The most are in the first category...frustrated at low paying jobs or unable to find jobs. My husband and I help our deaf friends find jobs and have seen them to never get contacted for an interview or get interviews, only to have other candidates picked over them.

Many deaf people I know have tried to find jobs only to get comments like "You need to talk on the phone" for so-so jobs and then they become so discouraged and give up. Some still keep going on but years after years, it can get kinda discoraging and ruin many people's confidence in themselves which can lead to depression.

There are others that want to stay at home to take care of their kids while their significant other goes to work.

Then, there are those who are too lazy but in my experience, I only met a handful of deaf people like that.

The most are in the first category...frustrated at low paying jobs or unable to find jobs. My husband and I help our deaf friends find jobs and have seen them to never get contacted for an interview or get interviews, only to have other candidates picked over them.

Yep I agree with you totally 110%. Good posting.

Didn't I had a post up here ? Seems to be gone.. Never mind, it must have been in another thread, my mistake.

I guess they're lazy or give up easily.

I knew a guy who took 8 years to get his AOS degree from NTID. The only job he ever had was at a fast food restaurant... for 2 days. He refuses to work because he's "an actor" and "actors don't work". :roll:

His mom paid for all expenses such as rent, utilities, food, etc. *groans*

I don't know why people are like this. They're always complaining that they can't find a job, when they're not even trying. :roll:

I find it strange when someone says "deafness is not a disability!" but then they collect social security. If you are collecting social security, you are saying that you are disabled. You can't say you aren't disabled and also collect SSI.

I have tried to find a job in small towns (I grew up in a big town but prefer small town type) but couldn't find a computer programming position. They always tried to put me in computer operator position. I don't want it as I knew if I accept it and I will never get to programming position. I finally move to my hometown and got a programmer position. Lost that job after 10 and half years. Personal problems is keeping me here for a while. Once I move to a warm place, I would want to set up my own business. I don't know what I want to get into yet.

Why do the deaf people have to go to a big town in order to get a professional job? My vocational rehab. counselor told me the more professional the job is, the harder it is to find it. I have to agree with her. I pick computer programming because I know I can do it and I love challenges. Right now, I am not interesting in computer programming because of what I went thru at my last job. Because of this, I have deep mistrust of hearing people (those who don't know anything about Deaf culture/ASL).

Not only that some deaf people live off of their parents, I've seen some hearing people do the same. I don't know their reasons are, but I'm sure they might have some good reasons for doing so, and some might have some bad reasons too. I've been living on my own since the age of 18, I do have a job and that's the way I want it. ;)

I agree. Maybe some are lazy, some have real difficulties finding jobs, some feel unaccepted by the hearing society, some have other medical issues. You never know.

I agree with you 100%.

I have deaf friends tried to look for a new job in my hometown. It's pretty suck and slow business. Some bosses and interviews rejected deaf people because never get a GED or HS Diploma. They are seeking to VR counseling to help find a new jobs.

The most deaf and hoh people do have SSD, SSDI, SSI, SSDAC. I had a hard to find a job myself either. I am under disability because I has Retina. I am tired of look for a new job. It's too much stress. I live in second major city. I decide to be my own Jewelry business and selling. Jewelry Designer is my career!

I got rejected for VR when I applied a few months ago. I was mostly hoping it would pay for my hearing aids. But Virginia has set up new rules, meaning that the most severely disabled people get served first. So it depends on what your disability is and how much it affects you. People with more than one disability (deaf-blind, deaf with CP) get served first. There was a waiting list of more than 1 year if you were ONLY deaf, so I said nevermind and bought the hearing aids myself.

My mom works, ironically, for Health and Human Services. i should ask her to join this board, because she knows A LOT about SSDI and stuff like that.

I think, like others said it depends on opportunity, attitude.. I know plenty of people who have nothing wrong with their hearing who are under/unemployed right now, some because they're lazy, some because they got laid off.

My mom works, ironically, for Health and Human Services. i should ask her to join this board, because she knows A LOT about SSDI and stuff like that.

I think, like others said it depends on opportunity, attitude.. I know plenty of people who have nothing wrong with their hearing who are under/unemployed right now, some because they're lazy, some because they got laid off.

And many more because of the state of the economy.

In the state our economy is in and with how hard it is to find work being deaf its just easier to collect disability and foodstamps.

Its tuff to try an live on disability. I do not understand how other deafs can do it. I myself am forced too because of other disabilities and even still, I manage to go to college.

Does everyone here use VR or what? I'm just curious...

I use VR before but they don't do a good job to help anyone, so I did it all on my own without the help of VR service. VR used to be great 20 years ago. But now they don't have enough people to help handicap to find jobs. That why so many people complian about VR here in Virginia.

I tried to go to VR many years ago for the assistance of hearing aids and college. They wouldn't help me at all because my parents made too much money but at that time, it was not easy for my family due to medical bills that was happening back then in the family and I paid most of my college education with loans and paid out of my pockets for hearing aids.

Back