why so many rules?

pbpara

Reaction score
So many people define the deaf community in different ways...and there are things that a lot of people think those who are "proud" of their deafness shouldn't do. But why?

Just because I don't use ASL *all* the time, does that make me less deaf? There are times when you just don't need to do it, at least in my experience. So why do it if no one else but yourself is going to understand it? Just to show it off?

I love Survivor and thought Christy was awesome...I just did a search for posts about her and the show, and was surprised to find that people didn't feel she represented us fairly. I disagree..I think she was an excellent representative. A kind, articulate young woman who showed that deaf people can be smart, skilled, have great personalities and most of all COMMUNICATE WITH ANYONE WE WANT! I could have cared less if she signed every time she spoke on the show...what does it matter?

What's with all the rules...why do you have to meet so many stipulations before people will consider you a true member of the deaf culture? Why all of the lack of acceptance among a group that just wants to be accepted?

pbpara said:
What's with all the rules...why do you have to meet so many stipulations before people will consider you a true member of the deaf culture? Why all of the lack of acceptance among a group that just wants to be accepted?

Answer: Fear. Ben Bahan, Roz Rosen, Harlan Lane and their co-horts have spread FEAR amongst the members of the deaf community -- "either you're with us or you're AGAINST us." These people believe that ASL must be saved at all costs -- even at the expense of your your right to choose.

The bottom line is this: The deaf community doesn't belong to a select group who make the rules. The deaf community belongs to EVERYONE! We make our own rules. Tell Roz, Ben and Harlan to F*** off.

Have a nice day.

Bush_in_2004! said:
Answer: Fear. Ben Bahan, Roz Rosen, Harlan Lane and their co-horts have spread FEAR amongst the members of the deaf community -- "either you're with us or you're AGAINST us." These people believe that ASL must be saved at all costs -- even at the expense of your your right to choose.

The bottom line is this: The deaf community doesn't belong to a select group who make the rules. The deaf community belongs to EVERYONE! We make our own rules. Tell Roz, Ben and Harlan to F*** off.

Have a nice day.

I agree with you. Just because I don't want to sign all the time doens't mean I am ashamed of it. This militantism is really ridiculous...

Glad not everyone feels that way though.

It's no big deal to me that people have a difference in opinions, because it's how the community is special like many other communities. :) There's bound to be disagreements, and that makes it more exciting and alive. It was something I used to worry about, but it comes down to "it's about me" ultimately. You may want to find out why the difference or the idea of militantism bothers you so much personally.... and do something about it. I know some people are... a few wrote books about their personal experiences of "audism," "militantism," and even made a movie on CI experiences with Sound and Fury. lol, I do support the philosophy of "following your heart no matter what." It's just another additional thought, feel free to drop it if it doesn't resonate with ya.

Sign or no sign, you're still a human being to be loved.

pbpara said:
So many people define the deaf community in different ways...and there are things that a lot of people think those who are "proud" of their deafness shouldn't do. But why?

Just because I don't use ASL *all* the time, does that make me less deaf? There are times when you just don't need to do it, at least in my experience. So why do it if no one else but yourself is going to understand it? Just to show it off?

I love Survivor and thought Christy was awesome...I just did a search for posts about her and the show, and was surprised to find that people didn't feel she represented us fairly. I disagree..I think she was an excellent representative. A kind, articulate young woman who showed that deaf people can be smart, skilled, have great personalities and most of all COMMUNICATE WITH ANYONE WE WANT! I could have cared less if she signed every time she spoke on the show...what does it matter?

Yes, I agree. I don't use sign language when I lost my cool because if I use sign language when I am getting mad, so therefore, my signs will get screw up. I can speak clearly when I shout out. Sighs. Sometimes, I do speak..sometimes I use sign language... it is my habit of speaking, which is harder to break.

I don't think that there should be many rules for deafs. However, it's important to show that you do represent the deaf community. If I were to give a presentation to a deaf audience on deafness, I would sign myself. If I was doing it to a hearing audience, I'd speak for myself. Using this same concept, Marleen Matlin spoke for herself with interpreters nearby while talking to a deaf audience about deafness. Now, that's bad.

VamPyroX said:
I don't think that there should be many rules for deafs. However, it's important to show that you do represent the deaf community. If I were to give a presentation to a deaf audience on deafness, I would sign myself. If I was doing it to a hearing audience, I'd speak for myself.

Exactly. I just don't see the point in wasting the arm movements if no one besides yourself is going to understand you. To me, that just seems like showing off, or deliberately wanting to call attention to yourself. I am not ashamed, but I still don't like to call attention to myself if I don't have to. My chair does that for me.

Like the others have said -- I just do what I'm capable of. I can sign both SEE and ASL, plus AUSLAN (Australian Sign Language). I'm not too fussed about the rules because it can't always apply to everyone.

Oh, the ones who make up all these rules are a bunch of poopheads.

I have been called anti-deaf cuz i am oral and stuff.......well i think the Deaf community should accept all and we can be large and strong not against each other. It feels like a revolving door.....

Let be......

Open door for all deaf community.. Don't need being your own belifts ORAL OR ANTI-DEAF or else..

Just title idoms... "DEAF" peroid..

*rolls* scarsuim.. *mumbling*

Deaf Communities are same being humans for all everyones! includes yourself too..

:sure:

Just want to put in my 2-cents...

I met Christy the deaf survivor at Deaf Worldwide Expo in Clearwater, FL and she said the main reason why she didn't use sign language is because she have no reason to use it because everyone on the show doesn't use sign language, therefore, she doesn't use it. Although, she can talk and read lips, she tells us that she still have a hard time reading everyone's lips so she will just nod away. Only Butch and Rob knew she didn't understand so both often fill in the informations for Christy to understand. I have met her and I am deaf myself who signs 100 percent of the time and I think of her as a worthy member of the deaf community so ignore them who thinks you have to be DEAF to be part of the deaf community. Believe me, I know because I am DEAF and I accept those who is deaf but uses their speech skills more than their sign language skills.

For many years, deaf people were forced to learn how to speak even when they said they prefer to sign instead of speaking. If they were caught signing, their hands would get slapped with rulers. Many punishments happened at deaf school and oral school even. That made many deaf people angry and they want to fight for the right of having ASL in classrooms and a language because it is in fact a language. I know for myself, I refuse to speak because I am profound deaf and I do not want to speak. Why fix something that is already broken from birth? I love signing, it is a part of who I am and I refuse to change that for anything. I am sorry that some people feels oppressed from the deaf community but we all need to educate eachother that we all do have choices no matter if we decided to get cochlear implants or use ASL. I think that deaf people are deathly afraid of the deaf community dying because more people are getting involved with the hearing world, for example more and more children are getting CIs now because the parents aren't given the choice of teaching their children ASL. It's sad but it happens still. Many deaf children in my town are implanted and their parents were educated to view deaf people as stupid and evil.

Stupid and evil? How sad that they are ignorant enough to believe that. I am not stupid or evil, and neither is anyone else on this site.

Back